Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 03:10 AM

10,223 posts, read 18,003,373 times

Advertisements

I'm really struggling to understand the logic in the theory that they wore those hats/outfits in retaliation for/as a statement about their mom not being invited. How does making yourself look ridiculous do anything but make yourself look ridiculous? If that was truly their motivation, they're not very bright, are they? If they were genuinely that hurt about it and wanted to make a statement, the best move would have been not to attend the wedding themselves.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:27 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,560,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I'm really struggling to understand the logic in the theory that they wore those hats/outfits in retaliation for/as a statement about their mom not being invited. How does making yourself look ridiculous do anything but make yourself look ridiculous? If that was truly their motivation, they're not very bright, are they? If they were genuinely that hurt about it and wanted to make a statement, the best move would have been not to attend the wedding themselves.
ok--I popped over to the London forum and asked a real UK citizen--he/she was dumbfounded--said that remark was a bunch of B@ll.

as I suspected--

None of us need to wonder why there are problems in the global community--any community--one stupid remark which is repeated by many and we will start to 'fight'--few 'calm heads' in this world--some things are not worth the time and energy to fight about--others are

i caught another short segment--1 minute is my new limit for any topic discussed on any channel--they are typical girls--just having a bit of fun with fashion

Old 05-04-2011, 02:08 PM

12,406 posts, read 19,036,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubina View Post
Only if she:

Bans the wearing of fug hats
Gets an actual job beyond showing up and waving
Buys all her jewelry at Jared
Doesn't look constipated in public
Doesn't inbreed
and the most important one of all: I get to be the royal chanteuse and sing her anthem at all her public appearances

YouTube - Queen To-Be (from Coming To America) (http://youtu.be/x6OIlvBb8XE - broken link)
What's a 'fug'?
Anyway, many wealthy people don't have jobs but occupy themselves with charity work. I think the queen accomplishes that with goodwill missions. I think our president must be a politician plus goodwill ambassador to other countries and in GB the prime minister takes on the role of politician and the royalty does most of the schmoozing of heads of state.
Most of her jewels are inherited.
Notice, with Dianna and Kate, they are starting an out breeding program.
All in all, if the royal family only gets about one pound per year per family and uses their own money for the rest of their upkeep, considering the tourism and goodwill functions - I think they benefit the realm more than detract from it.
I, too, used to think them useless. Now I see the dancing in the streets and camaraderie amongst the people and I think, gee, we only get to do that at New Years and when we kill an enemy. I think it is good for a country for its people to be able to unite in such non controversial fun. I think, in some odd way, the royals serve to unite Brits regardless of their feelings for the issues of the day. As such, perhaps these people find a deeper bond, a greater meaning in being British.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:44 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,566,935 times
I don't believe for a second that Sarah Ferguson's daughters were wearing their hats in "protest" of their mother's not being invited. It makes sense she wasn't invited. The girls are still part of the family, Sarah is not. Case in point. When my sister married, she did not invite the ex-husband of our other sister to her wedding because he was no longer a part of our family. My nephews, the children of the other sister however, were invited.

The hats were probably a hit with the Brits. We are looking at all those "fascinators" with American eyes were hats are not very common. It's definitely a European thing. Back in Marie Antoinette's time in France, women wore hats and hairdos depicting various scenes and stories.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:11 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,401,135 times
hmmm, I did not watch this, but I did read the recaps from some TV reporters. I keep seeing a quote from some Brit guy who said something along the lines of "Oh dear, she is wearing yellow again"... that makes me chuckle just imagining that being said in a Brit accent. But seriously, whats that about? Is yellow a bad color?

Old 05-04-2011, 05:17 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,250,818 times
"We all live in a yellow submarine..."

Old 05-04-2011, 09:56 PM

14,490 posts, read 26,665,283 times
Yeah, somehow the Kentucky derby cant compete with the Royal Wedding hat parade. Its just like The Easter Parade in 1940 that my great grandmother went to in NYC- de rigeur to wear colorful weird hats you never would again. A nice past-time for the old ladies. Nothing wrong with it. Its a parade, not serious.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:46 AM

12,406 posts, read 19,036,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
hmmm, I did not watch this, but I did read the recaps from some TV reporters. I keep seeing a quote from some Brit guy who said something along the lines of "Oh dear, she is wearing yellow again"... that makes me chuckle just imagining that being said in a Brit accent. But seriously, whats that about? Is yellow a bad color?
A commentator said yellow does not do well with an English complexion. I kind of agree, but I think she wears a solid color to be able to stand out. Of coarse, most other people do, too. She seems to have the same hat in umpteen different colors to match her outfit. Some tv guy also said she would wear yellow if it were a sunny day and blue if it were rainy, which was forecast. I don't know why.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:26 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,482,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Notice, with Dianna and Kate, they are starting an out breeding program.
Kate is a commoner. Diana was not. She was from an old, aristocratic English family with royal ancestral ties.

The queen wears a lot of blue and not a lot of yellow. A few commentators said that she tends to wear it when she is happy and she looked radiant at the wedding. You can tell she loves her grandchildren.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:14 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,108,356 times
I thought she looked excellent in her yellow outfit and hat. Honestly, I think most other hats would look ridiculous on the queen of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV