Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 06:25 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,957,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Also, when signing the contract in the beginning, these moms had no idea that the show would be this popular or that it would even be picked up. Thy may have seen this as a great opportunity for their kids, not realizing that the atmosphere of the show would change and become what it has today but they don't have a lot of options as they are locked in.

After last night's episode - I'm done. I'm sick of the yelling, screaming, terrified kids ect.. A lot is scripted but some isn't nd those kids faces show it.
Thanks - this makes sense. Especially the part about the mom's not realizing what direction this show was going and initially thinking that it would be a good opportunity for the girls.

And, I totally agree - those girls look genuinely upset by so much of this. Kendall cries almost every episode and Chloe looks like she is seriously working on an ulcer as she internalizes all the stress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 12:29 PM

11,909 posts, read 5,882,939 times
The problem I have with this show is that so many viewers believe this is all real. I danced for many years as did my mom. We were taught by a woman named Beverly Fletcher. Miss Bev put out some of the most talented dancers anywhere. She was a big woman but taught and demonstrated every dance herself. She kept herself in shape even tho she was a larger woman. She never yelled at us or degraded us. And she never favored anyone!

She taught dancers such as Michael Bennett and even had a teacher's class for all the other dance teachers in the area. Many of her students have gone on to own their own studios, work for Disney, work in Vegas or choreograph. She also was one of the favored instructors at the Miss Dance competitions in which we competed.

Abby's studio was actually in bankruptsy before the show and Melissa's then boyfriend, now husband bailed her out. This competition team was created for the show. The girls had very little contact with Abby before the show as her other assistants and teachers, like Gianna taught them.

She may have been nothing more than an overseer as we know she doesn't dance and I can't believe her darling mother ran the studio like that.I think she has a big personality and the producers capitalized on that and created what she is today - unfortunately, I think it went to her head and this is where we are today. All of the girls are scared of her even Mac and Maddie. From the other forums, someone who attends real competitions that Abby's team also go to said that Chloe is no longer dancing there but is still on the show because of the contract.

The production company has been banned from filming at legitimate competitions as they skewed the results in Abbys favor for TV. Her kids did not always come in first and at the end of the competition they would have people stay and redo the awards. All the competitions now are only invitationals with no awards or made up competitions.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:05 PM

251 posts, read 275,285 times
^^^ now this makes more sense to me. I am like this show is rigged, how is it that Abby Lee dance company comes in 1st place EVERY.single. WEEK. of competition. (or 2nd place) It seems staged. And the constant bickering with the moms. The kids seem to like to dance. I will admit, it is truly a train-wreck and a guilty pleasure type of show for me. I just have to see how it ends, literally and figuratively. lol.

Last edited by Mashiara4life; 02-20-2014 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: more things to say

Old 02-20-2014, 06:32 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,600,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I tried to watch it last night after not seeing it since 2 seasons ago. On some show, they kept showing when Kelly "slapped" Abby and pulled her hair. The way I see it is this: If you're going to slap someone KNOWING this person loves to call the police (as she has done in the past), make it a good one!!! Kelly barely touched her!!! And she should have smacked her again when she pulled her hair!

I see Maddie is still constipated with that same face in every dance she does.

I don't get it.... none of those girls are "great" dancers. They're good dancers, even above-average but they're not outstanding. The only reason they seem so is because they're on television and we're being told how superior they --- or at least Maddie --- is Sure, they do "acro" but none of that is dance; it's acrobatics. I know they have an "acro-dance" category in the endless competitions they go to, but acrobatics is NOT dance.

Speaking of competitions.... what is it with this studio that they go to all these competitions?? It costs a fortune between travel, hotels, meals, entry fees, etc (all of which the PARENTS pay) and they don't win anything other than a trophy and maybe $1K at the very most??? Ridiculous. I think Abby is doing it just to say she won first prize here, there, etc. to boost her credibility since she's not a great dance teacher (and her track record shows that ---- she's been in the business since she's 14 and has only had a handful of dancers on B'way and not even in lead roles; mainly just the background/ensemble dancers)

I won't be watching again. Abby is a nasty, vile woman who is abusing those children --- ALL of them, including her favorite, Maddie. I won't give her ratings.
I don't quite understand how things got this bad on the show. It used to be just mildly entertaining and I enjoyed watching the dancers but it is now truly disturbing.

I find it hard to believe that a coach would really treat her students in this manner, day in and day out? I've seen coaches scream and yell but . . every single practice? And then screaming at the mothers?

I know so much of this has to be scripted but . .

Quote:
Unfortunately, all of these families signed legal contracts with the network and can't leave. Kelly now has a lawsuit against the network and Abby Lee to get her and the girls released from the contract. An entertainment attorney was on one of the forums and it seems each and every contract has a clause that if they choose to leave - the network will sue them besides a clause that the girls would not be able to perform for a certain period of time - even in school productions. All contestants such as those on American Idol, The Voice ect have to sign these contracts with these clauses. As we all know - timing is everything and if you're hot now - you may not be remembered by the time that clause expires. That's why Kelly is trying to void the contract so the girls can get on with singing and modeling while they are still known and popular.

Also, when signing the contract in the beginning, these moms had no idea that the show would be this popular or that it would even be picked up. Thy may have seen this as a great opportunity for their kids, not realizing that the atmosphere of the show would change and become what it has today but they don't have a lot of options as they are locked in.

After last night's episode - I'm done. I'm sick of the yelling, screaming, terrified kids ect.. A lot is scripted but some isn't nd those kids faces show it.
How can they keep Kelly in the contract when Abbey kicked her off the show and won't let her near the dance studio? I would think it's time to let her out.

She was foolish to hit Abby (if you can really call that a hit) because obviously Abby would take it to outrageous lengths as she does everything. Ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Some new crap called "Acro Dance" --- it's not dance, not by any stretch of the imagination. It's just to show who can do backflips, cartwheels or go over in a cartwheel-like move but not using your hands. In Brooke's case, it's always her on her chin or contorting her body (again, NOT dance).

None of those "moms" work except that Holly used to be a principal at a school but resigned her position after Season 1 (or Season 2?) to spend more time at the dance studio with Nia. She has a PhD and is a very, very intelligent woman. I don't understand how or why she is involving herself or her child in this.

The others are either living off their husbands or ex-husbands --- for instance, Melissa is divorced. Her ex said that all the dance stuff is what contributed to it. Anyway, she had a new 'boyfriend' who pays for everything (according to the other moms) so she doesn't have to do anything. She's married to him now I think.
I am disappointed in Holly. She is obviously intelligent; too smart for this.
She needs to get her daughter out of there however she can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
Abby is soooo screwed up. She is an energy-sapping, soul-sucking bully. I think she picks on Chloe because Chloe has a heart and is authentic. Maddie is talented, yes, but Maddie is more vicious and driven in her pursuit of success than Chloe is - and that's what Abby likes and respects.

Abby clearly does not treat herself with love or respect, so it's no surprise that she is at a loss at how to relate to children (or anyone for that matter). Abby is all about WINNING - typical narcissist - and on the surface it's easy to justify the measures she takes to win, but underneath that she is such a toxic force.
Something struck me about her and Kelli's relationship - which obviously has some deep, underlying issues. When Abby called the police and was describing Kelly she described Kelli's hair as cool and trendy. Everything Abby is not. And Kelli was jealous of the power Abby had over her kids.

Such dysfunction!

Quote:
The problem I have with this show is that so many viewers believe this is all real. I danced for many years as did my mom. We were taught by a woman named Beverly Fletcher. Miss Bev put out some of the most talented dancers anywhere. She was a big woman but taught and demonstrated every dance herself. She kept herself in shape even tho she was a larger woman. She never yelled at us or degraded us. And she never favored anyone!

She taught dancers such as Michael Bennett and even had a teacher's class for all the other dance teachers in the area. Many of her students have gone on to own their own studios, work for Disney, work in Vegas or choreograph. She also was one of the favored instructors at the Miss Dance competitions in which we competed.

Abby's studio was actually in bankruptsy before the show and Melissa's then boyfriend, now husband bailed her out. This competition team was created for the show. The girls had very little contact with Abby before the show as her other assistants and teachers, like Gianna taught them.

She may have been nothing more than an overseer as we know she doesn't dance and I can't believe her darling mother ran the studio like that.I think she has a big personality and the producers capitalized on that and created what she is today - unfortunately, I think it went to her head and this is where we are today. All of the girls are scared of her even Mac and Maddie. From the other forums, someone who attends real competitions that Abby's team also go to said that Chloe is no longer dancing there but is still on the show because of the contract.

The production company has been banned from filming at legitimate competitions as they skewed the results in Abbys favor for TV. Her kids did not always come in first and at the end of the competition they would have people stay and redo the awards. All the competitions now are only invitationals with no awards or made up competitions.
I had read that the ALDC was no longer welcome at many dance competitions. Can't say I blame them.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:16 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,957,063 times
When you see all the cheering and signs and shouting as the ALDC girls come in to the event, it is obvious how disruptive their presence would be to a dance competition. No wonder they are not welcome.

Scripted or not, Chloe, Kendall and Brooke seem emotionally impacted by all of this chaos.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:44 AM

Ringo - How can they keep Kelly in the contract when Abbey kicked her off the show and won't let her near the dance studio? I would think it's time to let her out.

She was foolish to hit Abby (if you can really call that a hit) because obviously Abby would take it to outrageous lengths as she does everything. Ugh.

Kelly still has a contract with the production company which is what she's trying to get out of. Each of the mom's also have a contract with the ALDC which Abby can void and not allow her near the studio. Two separate things.

There is actually an unedited version of the slapping incident. The producers will initiate a "situation". Maybe telling Abby to do or say something and see how the mom's react or work the mom's up about a trivial situation. In the unedited version - Abby was actually goading Kelly to do something. Abby kept her hands behind her back while backing Kelly up against one of the make-up tables. I don't think the producers anticipated Kelly slapping Abby ( it wasn't much of a slap) or I do think they would have not had the children in the room. Personally, I think Kelly is going to win this. Abby kept walking forward and making Kelly retreat until she had no place to go. Then opening her mouth and chomping at her made her react. As far as the finger poke to the cheek - Kelly didn't purposely poke her but Abby walked into her finger.

I'd love cameras in the courtroom so the believers of this show would see what a sham it is - but the producers would never let it happen. I really enjoyed the first couple of years but the abuse and gotten so much worse and you can see from the kids faces as well as the moms the stress and fear of Abby Miller.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:46 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,085,513 times
Dance Moms is just another in the long line of drama queen shows.....turn on the cameras and the gals will kick it up several notches. No different than Bridezillas.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:50 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,600,772 times
Quote:
Ringo - How can they keep Kelly in the contract when Abbey kicked her off the show and won't let her near the dance studio? I would think it's time to let her out.

Kelly still has a contract with the production company which is what she's trying to get out of. Each of the mom's also have a contract with the ALDC which Abby can void and not allow her near the studio. Two separate things.

There is actually an unedited version of the slapping incident. The producers will initiate a "situation". Maybe telling Abby to do or say something and see how the mom's react or work the mom's up about a trivial situation. In the unedited version - Abby was actually goading Kelly to do something. Abby kept her hands behind her back while backing Kelly up against one of the make-up tables. I don't think the producers anticipated Kelly slapping Abby ( it wasn't much of a slap) or I do think they would have not had the children in the room. Personally, I think Kelly is going to win this. Abby kept walking forward and making Kelly retreat until she had no place to go. Then opening her mouth and chomping at her made her react. As far as the finger poke to the cheek - Kelly didn't purposely poke her but Abby walked into her finger.

I'd love cameras in the courtroom so the believers of this show would see what a sham it is - but the producers would never let it happen. I really enjoyed the first couple of years but the abuse and gotten so much worse and you can see from the kids faces as well as the moms the stress and fear of Abby Miller.
I guess my question would be - what is the point of keeping them in the contract but out of the show? Just to prevent Kelli's kids from doing anything else?

I heard that the unedited version is on Youtube somewhere but haven't had the time to find it.

Such a shame. If I were Kendal, Chloe, or Nia's Mom - I would want my daughter away from Abby and that whole circus - scripted or no.

Chloe basically looks like she has checked out anyway. It's too bad the show had to go too far because people were watching even before it got outlandishly crazy.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:06 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,746,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Thanks - this makes sense. Especially the part about the mom's not realizing what direction this show was going and initially thinking that it would be a good opportunity for the girls.

And, I totally agree - those girls look genuinely upset by so much of this. Kendall cries almost every episode and Chloe looks like she is seriously working on an ulcer as she internalizes all the stress.

But three years in, they know exactly what it's about. After the first season, they had to sign new contracts. By then, they knew exactly what this show was all about. Why would you continue exposing your child to this kind of behavior and abuse??? So you can get a Ralph Lauren dress to wear to a competition? So you can get botox? Or get your hair frosted? Very selfish.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:43 AM

The first season focused more on the girls and the dancing. You did have some mom drama - but not to the extent that it has escalated to now. We have no idea how long the contracts were for after the first year. Many shows have the participants sign multi year contracts.

Ringo as far as the producers letting Kelly out - they number 1 - didn't want viewers to know that anyone left. The kids haven't danced there since last summer but they didn't want to lose viewers and that's why it's been hush hush until now. Chloe is also gone from the studio but still is contracted to appear for the series.

The second reason not to let them go is the clause in the contract that they can't perform or talk about the show. If they released them from the contract then the gig was up as the girls and Kelly were free to let people now what went on behind the scenes.

These producers are very clever. After the slapping incident - Kelly was going to stay on scene and talk to the police - but the producers told her to get out of there and got them all on a plane home. Thus creating the warrant for her arrest, which only helps the show. Lifetime had cameras in the courtroom so we know that it will somehow be featured on the show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV