Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2015, 02:28 PM

6,425 posts, read 4,917,410 times

Advertisements

I like the second episode and the casting of Melissa Benoist was the prefect choice. She was born to play Supergirl she is an excellent actress, perfect for the part and easy on the eyes as well. The actor playing Olsen while being handsome is not that versatile an actor. I didn't care for him on True Blood. The series is pretty good and a welcome change from the reality programming and the procedural dramas that dominate TV. I enjoy it and look forward to the next episode.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 03:22 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,961,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I like the second episode and the casting of Melissa Benoist was the prefect choice. She was born to play Supergirl she is an excellent actress, perfect for the part and easy on the eyes as well. The actor playing Olsen while being handsome is not that versatile an actor. I didn't care for him on True Blood. The series is pretty good and a welcome change from the reality programming and the procedural dramas that dominate TV. I enjoy it and look forward to the next episode.
Agree on Benoist. She has that goofy/nerdy girl down perfect as Cat's assistant. I think I said she reminded me of Christopher Reeve's Clark Kent, though Benoist is more energetic. And, she does change when she's in the Supergirl costume to a hero with growing confidence, but not quite there 100% yet.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:14 PM

3,859 posts, read 3,047,683 times
Mehcad Brooks was also in Unnecessary Roughness.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:11 PM

1,548 posts, read 913,607 times
I watched the 2nd episode. Not sure if I'll be tuning in for more though. It's not terrible but other than when she is Supergirl out doing heroic stuff, I don't care. The sister thing, the government agency that's training her - blah. I grew up reading the silver age version so that's where I'm coming from. Linda Lee wasn't nerdy nor did she wear glasses. Something else I began to notice was that the actress playing Supergirl, even as Supergirl her hair wasn't really blonde. It's more brown with some highlights and in one scene I swore it looked like they digitally made her hair more blonde. Nit-picking I know but can't they just make her really blonde?

Old 11-05-2015, 04:09 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
Mehcad Brooks was also in Unnecessary Roughness.
I loved him as T.K.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:37 AM

50,831 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
I loved him as T.K.
I know he's not Laurence Olivier, but I just like Mehcad Brooks.

Old 11-07-2015, 07:20 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Let me say I finally had the time to see episode 2 and I'm not liking it. It is a bit of too much of a rushed Flash with a Kryptonian. IMO Supergirl is more interesting than Superman but I think they are trying to do too much too soon with the series and it is turning me off to it but I want to give it the fair shake it deserves. The Flash was a more laid back pace. We didn't even know what Harrison Wells was until much later while Supergirl's big bad as fully introduced in episode 1 with her intentions fairly out there (and a derivative of Man of Steel no less.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
I liked the first episode however I think it's to "Lois and Clark" like for me - sorta that bubble gum, sugar and spice feel. That's not sustainable. It reminds of bionic woman (origin story, friendships, super archv villains, etc. all developed in one episode).

CW (Arrow/Flash,Smallville), Fox (Gotham), now CBS (only counting DC universe). I don't see how this would go past one season. The big three networks don't know how to do sustainable super hero shows (with maybe the exception of ABC with Agents of Shield).
There's nothing wrong with Lois & Clark, it was a decent show albeit dated now with the more intricate and sophisticated super hero comic and television we see today. Supergirl is trying to be a superhero show and Devil Wears Prada at the same time and by the way the ratings from week one to two dropped, perhaps it is a problem.

As for what you are saying, CW has put out a great Flash season, fairly good Arrow seasons and eventually Legends of Tomorrow, another Flarrow spin-off. Gotham does enough for Fox to keep it and ABC is owned by Disney who also owns Marvel (though to be fair, CW is a joint-venture of Viacom (who owns CBS) and WB (who owns DC).) Most of the super hero shows are good though I can't get into Gotham really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venture2000 View Post
If it doesn't make it. CBS' sister network will be waiting in the wings to pick it up and add it to the schedule. I think the CW is currently struggling on Mondays right now.
Jane the Virgin does good enough. No idea on Crazy Ex Girlfriend but I haven't heard kind things about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
I will say this - I will watch because Ally McBeal (aka Calista Flockhart) looks HOT AS HECK! Way sexier imo than Supergirl lol.
Supergirl isn't sexy at least in this take and I think that is something this show gets right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
The problem is other then Supergirl the other characters are not really that interesting or well developed and most of the action scenes seem to be repeats from other action scenes seem before. There is only so long that Kara's backstory can keep being interesting.
I like the take on James Olsen as well. I think that is something else fresh in this series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
Agree on Benoist. She has that goofy/nerdy girl down perfect as Cat's assistant. I think I said she reminded me of Christopher Reeve's Clark Kent, though Benoist is more energetic. And, she does change when she's in the Supergirl costume to a hero with growing confidence, but not quite there 100% yet.
Melissa Benoist plays a good mousey girl which is a nice contrast to what Supergirl is. The problem is this is only the third of the four things I really like with the series (the fourth being the sister relationship.) There are much more negatives than positives IMO.

Old 11-08-2015, 12:25 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,931 times
i just watched the pilot. honestly i think the show is lame/corny. i'm going to watch a few more episodes, but doubt that i'm sticking to it.

supergirl needs a mask or something.

Old 11-09-2015, 04:27 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
I think one question everyone needs to answer is whether or not they liked Smallville. I'd be surprised if folks who didn't like Smallville will like this show, and vice versa. It seems clear to me that it fills that gap, updated in time (2000s to 2010s) and effectively bringing younger viewers (especially) along in terms of (for lack of a better word) "sophistication". (In other words, it probably doesn't fit as well for younger viewers as Smallville did, but rather it fits well with those younger viewers Smallville satisfied now that they are older.) I think these characters are showing more promise after two episodes than many of the characters around Clark showed in the first eight episodes of Smallville.

And the reality is that filling the shoes of Smallville is good enough. If it does that, combined with its broadcast on CBS, it should be even more of a success.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:29 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,285,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Most of the super hero shows are good though I can't get into Gotham really.
I gave up on Gotham. The writers have no clue what they are doing. It isn't just a bad super hero show. It's a bad show on every level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I like the take on James Olsen as well. I think that is something else fresh in this series.
The take on the character is fine. The actor playing him needs acting lessons. He was obviously cast for his looks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV