Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2015, 08:57 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
You would think an occasional mention of Superman and/or Batman would be something that was desirable to Warner Brothers.
Heck, Agents of SHIELD and Daredevil both have dealt with Avengers movie fallout: When the Daredevil comic started in the 1960s, Hell's Kitchen wasn't a nice area. However, Hell's Kitchen is now an upscale gentrified part of NYC. To make it more true to Daredevil's origins, a bunch of it was deemed as having been destroyed or damaged as a result of what happened in the original Avengers movie. And, on Agents of SHIELD, you hear Coulson mention Thor or Captain America once in a while, and most of season 2 was dealing with the fall out from Winter Soldier.
With Marvel it is all connected, with DC just the WB Arrow and Flash, everything else is separate and stands on its own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 09:06 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
It was trying to hit all the cliche notes in one episode and had this overall candy atmosphere that I didn't care for. Too bad, I wanted to like this one.

I feel like CBS will always have this 1950s blemish to their shows, meh, wonder how it would of been if another network picked it up or even Netflix. There was a lot of "I know I'm just a girl but we both came from the same planet and anything "He" can do, I can do because I'm a woman and not a girl .. I'm just as strong." Ad nauseum. Mixed in with a lot of flippancy and oh-my-gosh, ugh.

Note to the people at CBS, you can make a strong female character without constant verbal reiteration like a self-help book, it's possible.
Yeah, that kind of irked me for some reason. All the references to "him" as well. If they can't say Superman because of legal reasons, then fine I don't fault them for that, but just leave it at "my/your cousin" and only mention him when absolutely necessary. Having the characters get all googly eyed with big flashy Veneered grins every time they make a references to "him" is off putting.

I kind of thought of Supergirl as a little bit of a flawed character that had some inner demons and not necessarily as morally bound as her cousin. I hope they explore that. The giddy 20-something that gets all giggly as she shows off whatever it was she lifts this week is going to wear thin fast. I'm already tired of the working for the newspaper bad boss, taking pictures element.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:22 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
You would think an occasional mention of Superman and/or Batman would be something that was desirable to Warner Brothers.

Heck, Agents of SHIELD and Daredevil both have dealt with Avengers movie fallout: When the Daredevil comic started in the 1960s, Hell's Kitchen wasn't a nice area. However, Hell's Kitchen is now an upscale gentrified part of NYC. To make it more true to Daredevil's origins, a bunch of it was deemed as having been destroyed or damaged as a result of what happened in the original Avengers movie. And, on Agents of SHIELD, you hear Coulson mention Thor or Captain America once in a while, and most of season 2 was dealing with the fall out from Winter Soldier.
Oh, I agree.
Given how successful the CW shows currently are, it seems very short-sighted to not capitalize on that popularity.
But as you note, there are downsides to trying to maintain a shared universe.

There has been some talk of crossover between "Supergirl" and the CW shows and we are going to get Matt Ryan's "Constantine" on "Arrow" so still more than enough for the TV producers to work with I think.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:21 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,225,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The pilot did have an "everything and the kitchen sink" feel to it. It's like they tried to shove every single thing into the first 60 minutes. It's probably why so much of it felt uneven. I'm hoping subsequent episodes won't fall into this.

That said ...

My teen and preteen girls LOOOOOOOOOOVED it.
Heh, guess we missed the focus group. You know it's reminding me of those corporate products that targets those groups, you may have heard of it, Taylor Swift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Wow people sure over analyze things. It's a show about a cute girl who can fly and has laser beam eyes. Check your brain at the door, watch and enjoy.
You know, I may have been fine with that but did you watch the show? There were a lot of issues they decided to bring up about identity, gender, etc. if they had decided to take a young girl brooding, kicking ass, and tearing up the bad guys and the city to some screamo music (think mad max), that would have been better but no they decided to dress Barbie/Malibu Stacy up as Supergirl with a pullstring of PC empowerment -- contrary to feminism, I would think so. Again I must reiterate that CBS 1950s blemish.

I don't mind the occasional introspection but this was overbearing. I venture to guess that being constantly nagged conspicuously about virtuosity and social issues would prove vexing to anyone.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:29 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Quote:
There are many moving parts in these cinematic universes. The introduction of such a prolific distraction (from the perspective of the people the asset owner employees to make movies for them) probably offers as much in negatives as the exposure grants positives

Quote:
Heck, Agents of SHIELD and Daredevil both have dealt with Avengers movie fallout
Marvel has made a very deliberate decision to weave their television and movie cinematic universe together, hoping that the positives from that synergy are greater than the aforementioned negatives. I suspect you see things Marvel's way rather than DC's way. I see things both ways. I bet it is a wash or the difference too small to really worry that much about which way is best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
Heh, guess we missed the focus group.
Could be. Also, at some point, you end up realizing that they're aiming to sell things, and that by being a class of people who have increasingly inured themselves against being swayed by advertising, or otherwise driven to make purchases based on advertising, you've lost whatever vote you may have had in such a focus group.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:31 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
If they do cut the action I think viewing is going to go down because it will basically become another drama. The whole her having super powers and saving people is what the whole show is based on. Without action what are we going see her being bullied by her boss or the whole will they won't they date with her co worker because that is all it will be.
That and it may become a Flash rip-off where they balance everything so well with the drama and the action that comes from a comic based show.

Old 10-28-2015, 03:24 PM

991 posts, read 629,240 times
They show superman greeting his cousin (kara) when her ship lands on earth.

If so, how would a secret, government agency have gotten it's hands on her ship?

I'm 'sure' that sups would have taken the ship somewhere?
Big mistake in my opinion?

Old 10-28-2015, 05:57 PM

566 posts, read 504,082 times
I liked the twist ending at the end. Atleast the General part was something fresh.
But...ye, it's a girl power show, like Wonder Woman.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:17 PM

1,548 posts, read 913,607 times
I watched the premier the other night. I'm a comics fan from the early 70's so I had Superman & Supergirl books. Right away I was irked that they changed her origin and did not name her Linda in her secret identity. Recognized Dean Cain and Helen Slater. It was odd that they never uttered the name "Superman". It was either "him" or Big Blue or Man of Steel.
I've never seen any of the CW DC shows, strange as that might seem since I'm an old DC fan. I have to say, overall I liked this Supergirl. I thought the fight scenes were the highlight. "Vardox" or whatever seemed to be variation of The Persuader from the Fatal Five. The scene in the newsroom after Supergirl's first public outing was an obvious nod or rip from a similar situation in Superman:The Movie.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:37 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epliny View Post
They show superman greeting his cousin (kara) when her ship lands on earth.

If so, how would a secret, government agency have gotten it's hands on her ship?

I'm 'sure' that sups would have taken the ship somewhere?
Big mistake in my opinion?
Most people knew of Superman being alien though and in DC's Earth, aliens were rather common entities. Martian Manhunter, Lantern Corps, Kryptonians, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanker View Post
I watched the premier the other night. I'm a comics fan from the early 70's so I had Superman & Supergirl books. Right away I was irked that they changed her origin and did not name her Linda in her secret identity. Recognized Dean Cain and Helen Slater. It was odd that they never uttered the name "Superman". It was either "him" or Big Blue or Man of Steel.
I've never seen any of the CW DC shows, strange as that might seem since I'm an old DC fan. I have to say, overall I liked this Supergirl. I thought the fight scenes were the highlight. "Vardox" or whatever seemed to be variation of The Persuader from the Fatal Five. The scene in the newsroom after Supergirl's first public outing was an obvious nod or rip from a similar situation in Superman:The Movie.
I thought that the Real Supergirl was Kara Danvers while Matrix Supergirl was Linda Danvers (The name she has on the show.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV