Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2017, 09:48 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,469,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
We’re done with this show. We were barely hanging on with all the 90210 drama but it has become way too political.

I don’t want right or left wing politics in my face all the time. I understand that most shows have some, but this one is over the top. The last straw was the border wall comment and all Mexicans are rapists and murderers (something like that).

We’ll watch the crossovers but that’s it.

I'll admit, I'm pretty conservative and usually right leaning when it comes to politics and sociological topics, so I'll leave it at that. The show has gotten too far into the 90210 drama - I definitely agree! They have tried to humanize Supergirl a little too much, which in my opinion, really takes away from the mystic and the power of Supergirl. It's almost as if the show is more about the human life of Kara who, oh by the way, also has a side gig as a Superhero. And maybe that's what was intended, but that's not what I was expecting when I started watching Supergirl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 03:08 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Wonder where did they get that from?
"They made that up!"

Old 11-08-2017, 06:49 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
My Supergirl ramble:
I never paid attention to the Maggie/Alex drama this Season bec I knew Maggie had
promised only 5 episodes, so why bother.
I'm personally uninterested in the Martian stuff, that's just me....the Luther businesses are fun...wish the
the diabolical mom would come back, what a great actress...Seinfeld, Desperate Housewives...
I liked the Terri Hatcher twist...found it hard to believe she so easily killed her husband, the Hercules actor...also nice that boring Monel is gone.
Cat made the show...darn...
Jimmy and classy Lena?...well, ya had Anne Bancroft and Mel Brooks...opposites can attract...but, it wouldn't interest me...Jimmy with that alien? More like it.

Lena is so wounded with her mother issues...I wonder who could fix her....somebody special to fill her need for love!
I secretly hope we don't have to watch Alex moping around long.

How about more villains...handsome or pretty, I don't care...ugly monsters, naw.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
My Supergirl ramble:
I never paid attention to the Maggie/Alex drama this Season bec I knew Maggie had
promised only 5 episodes, so why bother.
I'm personally uninterested in the Martian stuff, that's just me....the Luther businesses are fun...wish the
the diabolical mom would come back, what a great actress...Seinfeld, Desperate Housewives...
I liked the Terri Hatcher twist...found it hard to believe she so easily killed her husband, the Hercules actor...also nice that boring Monel is gone.
Cat made the show...darn...
Jimmy and classy Lena?...well, ya had Anne Bancroft and Mel Brooks...opposites can attract...but, it wouldn't interest me...Jimmy with that alien? More like it.

Lena is so wounded with her mother issues...I wonder who could fix her....somebody special to fill her need for love!
I secretly hope we don't have to watch Alex moping around long.

How about more villains...handsome or pretty, I don't care...ugly monsters, naw.
I do like the fact that they were able to bring in Dean Cain and Terri Hatcher for a few episodes as on ode to past Superman shows (Lois & Clark.) And of course, Linda Carter for a few shows (70's Wonder Woman.) Younger fans probably wouldn't have caught on to that.

I understand they have to have some sort of side stories - usually romance stories. But, I kind of have a problem with the scene of showing Maggie and Alex in bed together. Why? Well, the Super Girl show in itself is still kind of cheesy enough that you don't mind having your younger kids watching it. Kind of like how I watched the Incredible Hulk back when I was like 7 years old. But, showing "sex" scenes, even though it wasn't a steamy scene like you'd see on some HBO movie or show isn't really appropriate for a show like Supergirl. I'll admit, I'm probably becoming an old fuddy duddy, but having a young child and being big into Superheros like I am, I'm itching at the chance for my son to get old enough to appreciate watching all of the Superheros, but I don't want him watching sex scenes, no matter how mild or minor they may be. If the show in itself was a little more darker and intended for mature audiences, like Gotham, then obviously I'd know that he'd have to be a teenager before I'd let him watch some of this stuff. But Supergirl, otherwise, is pretty tame until you introduce mature material that doesn't really seem to fit the show's, otherwise, very mild format.

Again, I'm a conservative, so I'm sure I'll get blasted by someone who's a lot more liberal with their children than I am, but I want my son to be able to appreciate some Superhero shows when he's a bit older, without fear of having to go through the sex explanation long before he's ready for that.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:47 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post

I understand they have to have some sort of side stories - usually romance stories. But, I kind of have a problem with the scene of showing Maggie and Alex in bed together. Why? Well, the Super Girl show in itself is still kind of cheesy enough that you don't mind having your younger kids watching it.,

but I want my son to be able to appreciate some Superhero shows when he's a bit older, without fear of having to go through the sex explanation long before he's ready for that.
But Maggie and Alex have not been the only sex scenes.
I mean, geez...that alien and Winn...yikes.
There have been tons of smooching and couch/bed scenes.

I agree it would be nice to have some side stories that were not about romantic involvements, but looking at most grown adults...they have their work and they have their family/spouse/gf/bf as the two main features of their lives.

Maybe they can do some more with the tech at Lexcorp or someone can pick up a sport or something...I dunno.

We need more conniving/scheming aliens. Not just boom smash aliens.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
But Maggie and Alex have not been the only sex scenes.
I mean, geez...that alien and Winn...yikes.
There have been tons of smooching and couch/bed scenes.

I agree it would be nice to have some side stories that were not about romantic involvements, but looking at most grown adults...they have their work and they have their family/spouse/gf/bf as the two main features of their lives.

Maybe they can do some more with the tech at Lexcorp or someone can pick up a sport or something...I dunno.

We need more conniving/scheming aliens. Not just boom smash aliens.
The Flash seems to have better storylines to it I guess. It's kept my attention a lot better than Supergirl. I mean, yeah, Supergirl herself gets my attention (she's pretty hot), but I just think Supergirl needs to be a bit more of a Superhero. Of course, the one thing that gets on my nerves about the Flash is he seems too eager to show his true identity to everyone. Why do you do that? What's the point in wearing a mask if you're going to tell everyone who you are? Doesn't make sense!

I just want Supergirl to be more of a superhero and less of a human I guess. I mean, yeah, in the old Superman movies, Superman would show his feelings to Lois Lane, but that seems to be an after thought. The movies were based on Superman being a hero that's indestructible. Supergirl seems to be a lot more vulnerable than she should be. That's fine if that's the whole point of the show, I guess I might have expected it to be more action packed and based more on super heroics than what it has turned out to be.

Old 11-08-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
But, I kind of have a problem with the scene of showing Maggie and Alex in bed together.
Why? Well, the Super Girl show in itself is still kind of cheesy enough that you don't mind having your younger kids watching it.
Kind of like how I watched the Incredible Hulk back when I was like 7 years old.
But, showing "sex" scenes, even though it wasn't a steamy scene like
you'd see on some HBO movie or show isn't really appropriate for a show like Supergirl.
Oh right...very little kids would be watching, esp as Supergirl could be their hero...
I'm very liberal on any sex issue...but, mmm...no, that was not so great with kids watching...
and also not necessary, but I understand ratings....and Millenials are a possible target.
Then again, Jimmy and the alien, probably not so good either ...for the kids.
Cat is pretty suggestive, too....I like it all,
I'm not prudish....but the kids...I get it.

Old 11-08-2017, 12:27 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Oh right...very little kids would be watching, esp as Supergirl could be their hero...
I'm very liberal on any sex issue...but, mmm...no, that was not so great with kids watching...
and also not necessary, but I understand ratings....and Millenials are a possible target.
Then again, Jimmy and the alien, probably not so good either ...for the kids.
Cat is pretty suggestive, too....I like it all,
I'm not prudish....but the kids...I get it.
Ok for kids to see death, explosions, fist-fights, genocide, though...

It reminds me of when I worked for a movie theater. When we sold tickets to rated R movies and parents would ask is this rated R because of sex or because of violence? And I always thought it was really messed up that they were only OK with it being rated R for violence.

Anyway, I like seeing the "human" side of the superheroes. I don't enjoy one-dimensional crap.

Old 11-09-2017, 04:55 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
But, I kind of have a problem with the scene of showing Maggie and Alex in bed together. Why? Well, the Super Girl show in itself is still kind of cheesy enough that you don't mind having your younger kids watching it. Kind of like how I watched the Incredible Hulk back when I was like 7 years old. But, showing "sex" scenes, even though it wasn't a steamy scene like you'd see on some HBO movie or show isn't really appropriate for a show like Supergirl. I'll admit, I'm probably becoming an old fuddy duddy, but having a young child and being big into Superheros like I am, I'm itching at the chance for my son to get old enough to appreciate watching all of the Superheros, but I don't want him watching sex scenes, no matter how mild or minor they may be.
Because they've never shown a bed scene on a broadcast television, Metropolis-based, superhero series before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki1qOhzlmXE

Call it being "blasted" if you want, but I cannot imagine anyone can legitimately help but wonder if there isn't some kind of double-standard at play.

Old 11-09-2017, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Ok for kids to see death, explosions, fist-fights, genocide, though..
No, not ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV