Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 11:49 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,186,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
It happens all the time in movies. "Concept" is all the producers really care about. Then they start casting, marketing, tie-ins, etc. The actual story doesn't come along until well in to the process. Which goes a long to explaining why movies are so bad these days.
That's demonstrably false. You can follow the process of a any large film these days and know how things progress, step by step. Having a cast and moving forward with production before having a script is not something that happens. It literally can't happen. You can't cast a film without knowing what characters need cast. You can't start production without knowing the ins and outs of what's being filmed, where it's being filmed, what cast/crew/professionals will be needed for each shot, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 11:58 AM

633 posts, read 640,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
That's demonstrably false. You can follow the process of a any large film these days and know how things progress, step by step. Having a cast and moving forward with production before having a script is not something that happens. It literally can't happen. You can't cast a film without knowing what characters need cast. You can't start production without knowing the ins and outs of what's being filmed, where it's being filmed, what cast/crew/professionals will be needed for each shot, etc.
This is my understanding. Guardians of the Galaxy in particular is noteworthy because it came out of a project Marvel/Disney had to develop their C-list franchises. Nicole Perlman took on "guardians of the galaxy", turned in a great script, and on the strength of that script the film was put into production.

That being said, scripts tend to undergo numerous rewrites and it's not uncommon for a final script to be completely different than the original- often its been rewritten SO much that it's credited to a different writer entirely.

Old 11-24-2015, 02:32 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
No. That's incorrect, at least in terms of the so-called "tentpole" movies. The script isn't done until far down the production process in a great many (not all) movies.

For example, the studio says, "Let's do a Bat Dude movie." So they get a budget, they hire a production crew to start design and cast Actor X. They start lining up production partners, media tie-ins, etc. to help offset the cost. After many weeks of work, they'll get around to hiring a screen writer, who is given the marching orders: "Okay, you need to write Bade Due for Actor X. The lead actress is down to 3 choices. We also have a deal with McDonald's for toys, so you have to have at least 2 action scenes with X, Y, and Z."

So the movie doesn't start with the story. The story is defined by all sorts of other interests.

This is now the norm for big budget movies.

Old 11-24-2015, 02:46 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,186,172 times
Quote:
No. That's incorrect, at least in terms of the so-called "tentpole" movies. The script isn't done until far down the production process in a great many (not all) movies.

For example, the studio says, "Let's do a Bat Dude movie." So they get a budget, they hire a production crew to start design and cast Actor X. They start lining up production partners, media tie-ins, etc. to help offset the cost. After many weeks of work, they'll get around to hiring a screen writer, who is given the marching orders: "Okay, you need to write Bade Due for Actor X. The lead actress is down to 3 choices. We also have a deal with McDonald's for toys, so you have to have at least 2 action scenes with X, Y, and Z."

So the movie doesn't start with the story. The story is defined by all sorts of other interests.

Provide a source for this. I've followed the progress of dozens of big-budget movies from the very early stages and I can't think of any movie or franchise outside of Transformers that work how you imagine.

Old 11-24-2015, 03:00 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
Rarely do they start without a script in place, and when they do it is pretty noteworthy and usually a bad movie. Probably the "2" or 1st sequel of a movie that becomes an unbridled and unexpected success so they rush another one into production to try to cash in.

But to say that it is typical to start without a script in place is not true.

Old 11-29-2015, 07:28 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Just finished it last night all in all I liked DD better, again only because I know the DD comics. It was a bit slow on the upstart but after episode 4 it picked up. Loved David Tenant he was great What I didn't like what JJ self-loathing all the time it was a bit tiring at times. We half expected to see DD in it after his ex-girlfriend showed up, was a bit disappointed not to see him. Overall We are looking forward the nest season!

Old 11-29-2015, 08:23 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,568,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
We half expected to see DD in it after his ex-girlfriend showed up, was a bit disappointed not to see him.
Claire Temple (Rosario Dawson) will be one of the unifying characters appearing in 6 episodes of Daredevil, and one episode apiece of Jessica Jones and Luke Cage. I suspect that she will appear in Iron Fist as well (AFAIK has not been cast yet except for Carrie-Anne Moss as Jeryn Hogarth for one episode).

I suspect that would take some of he steam out of 'The Defenders" planned movie for next year to have Daredevil appear this early. I suspect that you won't see JJ at all in the upcoming Luke Cage series, but you will see some of the minor characters from the series (in addition to C-A Moss, almost certain ly Eka Darville as Malcolm Ducasse and possibly Rachael Taylor as Trish Walker). They will also use this series to introduce Iron Fist.

Old 11-29-2015, 02:10 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,568,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
. Loved David Tenant he was great
I have gotten through 8 episodes so far, but David Tennant is the main reason I am sticking with it. If you can play Hamlet, Romeo, Benedick , Berowyne, Antipholus of Syracuse and Barty Crouch Jr then you make a great Purple Man (real name Zebediah Killgrave) .

Old 11-29-2015, 03:41 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,327,909 times
Quote:

Actually that is exactly the opposite of what occurred with "Batman Begins." After Nolan left the franchise Warner Bros had no idea about future production of the series. A number of scripts/treatments were proposed before the studio decided to go with Christopher Nolan's.

Actor's and directors rarely take on a production without first reading at least the first draft of a script. How else would anyone on worthy of taking on a franchise accept the job? Who would pen their name to a contract unless they know what they are contracting to produce? Perhaps when the producers, directors and key actors have completed a successful project that is in consideration for a sequel folks will sign on without a competed script based upon the work and vision of the producers and directors in the first outing. But still you can't start production without at least a first draft of a script. Everything from photography, to set design, and especially financial backing, depends on knowing what is going to take place in the course of production.

Now there have been quite a few movies that were green lighted without a finished script, and there have been independent movies that began without a "script" like Drake Doremus' "Like Crazy" but instead of a script he did produce a very detailed outline.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:55 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Claire Temple (Rosario Dawson) will be one of the unifying characters appearing in 6 episodes of Daredevil, and one episode apiece of Jessica Jones and Luke Cage. I suspect that she will appear in Iron Fist as well (AFAIK has not been cast yet except for Carrie-Anne Moss as Jeryn Hogarth for one episode).

I suspect that would take some of he steam out of 'The Defenders" planned movie for next year to have Daredevil appear this early. I suspect that you won't see JJ at all in the upcoming Luke Cage series, but you will see some of the minor characters from the series (in addition to C-A Moss, almost certain ly Eka Darville as Malcolm Ducasse and possibly Rachael Taylor as Trish Walker). They will also use this series to introduce Iron Fist.
Iron Fist might not even get a series but instead a Netlfix movie as rumors and I repeat rumors point towards Punisher taking the Iron Fist spot on the Defenders. IMHO, Iron Fist would work pretty good as Luke Cage's partner on a Heroes for Hire show rather than separate series for each. One issue with Iron Fist is his chi powers which are mystical.

After pausing for Thanksgiving week, I started up again, picking up where I left off at episode 5. I think Trish is a bit of a breakout in this series to be honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV