Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 11:11 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,963,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Oh, god that's even worse.... Oh, help me! I feel the vapors are upon me!
horrible - it's a conspiracy between Stan Lee, JJ Abrams and Netflix to start white genocide!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 11:58 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
horrible - it's a conspiracy between Stan Lee, JJ Abrams and Netflix to start white genocide!

Well, Stan Lee is Jewish. "JJ Abrams" sounds pretty Jewish. It's a conspiracy!

Old 12-04-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Well, Stan Lee is Jewish. "JJ Abrams" sounds pretty Jewish. It's a conspiracy!
I threw Abrams in there because a few people with no lives thought it was outrageous that a stormtrooper could be black in the new Star Wars movie and that it meant he supported white genocide. (In movies with Yoda, Chewbacca, fish headed aliens, Ewoks, Jabba the Hutt, jawas, sand people, etc, they're outraged a storm trooper is black???)

Old 12-04-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I threw Abrams in there because a few people with no lives thought it was outrageous that a stormtrooper could be black in the new Star Wars movie and that it meant he supported white genocide. (In movies with Yoda, Chewbacca, fish headed aliens, Ewoks, Jabba the Hutt, jawas, sand people, etc, they're outraged a storm trooper is black???)
The first semi-legitimate question about that was the confusion of "Stormtrooper" and "Clone Trooper." Easily made if one hadn't been paying attention: After the Republic was replaced by the Empire, the clone troopers were retired and replaced with naturally born Storm Troopers. In fact, last week's episode of the canon "Star Wars: Rebels" explicitly spelled it out. A character made a the Stormtrooper/Clone Trooper error and was very clearly corrected on the difference.

Old 12-04-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
The first semi-legitimate question about that was the confusion of "Stormtrooper" and "Clone Trooper." Easily made if one hadn't been paying attention: After the Republic was replaced by the Empire, the clone troopers were retired and replaced with naturally born Storm Troopers. In fact, last week's episode of the canon "Star Wars: Rebels" explicitly spelled it out. A character made a the Stormtrooper/Clone Trooper error and was very clearly corrected on the difference.
it caused a lot of outrage when the first trailer showed a stormtrooper taking off his helmet and he was (gasp) black!

well, maybe not a lot of outrage, but a small and very vocal group of people with too much time on their hands were outraged by this alleged travesty.

(and, the original clone from the movies - Jango Fett - was based on a brown-ish skinned guy from New Zealand of Maori descent, no?)

Old 12-04-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
it caused a lot of outrage when the first trailer showed a stormtrooper taking off his helmet and he was (gasp) black!

well, maybe not a lot of outrage, but a small and very vocal group of people with too much time on their hands were outraged by this alleged travesty.

(and, the original clone from the movies - Jango Fett - was based on a brown-ish skinned guy from New Zealand of Maori descent, no?)
I stipulated "semi-legitimate."

For people who thought the Imperial troopers were still the Jango Fett clones, it was a legitimate question. The appearance of Jango Fett and the clones had been well established in both the prequel movies and the canon animated "Star Wars: Clone Wars." But as I've said, the Empire had begun using naturally born Stormtroopers long before Episode 4. Knowing that, a Stormtrooper could be any color.

Being upset merely because he was black instead of white was not a "legitimate" Star Wars question.

Old 12-04-2015, 04:23 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Q
Quote:
I stipulated "semi-legitimate."

For people who thought the Imperial troopers were still the Jango Fett clones, it was a legitimate question. The appearance of Jango Fett and the clones had been well established in both the prequel movies and the canon animated "Star Wars: Clone Wars." But as I've said, the Empire had begun using naturally born Stormtroopers long before Episode 4. Knowing that, a Stormtrooper could be any color.

Being upset merely because he was black instead of white was not a "legitimate" Star Wars question.
The non clone Stormtrooper is from the expanded universe, now known as "legends" and not really canon.

I honestly don't mind, I've dated black girls and honestly race isn't an issue to me. Plus ebven if the stormtroopers were still the clones in the original trilogy, I am sure the Camino facility was shut down by the new republic in the thirty something years in canon the new movies are time jumping.

What I honestly think was the case is that there were people complaining about a diverse cast for Star Wars while many movies have been branded as whitewashing roles, in particularly the more recent Egyptian movies like Exodus: Gods & Kings and the new one that Lionsgate released and then apologized over. Some people just want to see white men be the main stars, I don't care personally. AA black Nick Fury works as well as a white Nick Fury, well maybe a bit better based on who was cast for that role. I honestly don't know a white guy with the commanding presence and ability to speak on screen that Samuel L. Jackson has.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Q

The non clone Stormtrooper is from the expanded universe, now known as "legends" and not really canon.
"Star Wars: Rebels" is canon, and just last week they explicitly stated that the Republic's Clone Troopers were clones but the Empire's Stormtroopers are not clones.

Quote:
What I honestly think was the case is that there were people complaining about a diverse cast for Star Wars while many movies have been branded as whitewashing roles, in particularly the more recent Egyptian movies like Exodus: Gods & Kings and the new one that Lionsgate released and then apologized over. Some people just want to see white men be the main stars, I don't care personally. AA black Nick Fury works as well as a white Nick Fury, well maybe a bit better based on who was cast for that role. I honestly don't know a white guy with the commanding presence and ability to speak on screen that Samuel L. Jackson has.
The black Nick Fury first appeared in the comics in 2001 as one of the "alternate world" Marvel heroes. In fact, very early on the comic character was designed to look like Samuel L. Jackson while the movies were still a gleam in Stan Lee's eye.

Old 12-05-2015, 01:33 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
"Star Wars: Rebels" is canon, and just last week they explicitly stated that the Republic's Clone Troopers were clones but the Empire's Stormtroopers are not clones.
The whole thing was that the initial stuff came from the expanded universe novels which were not canon. I didn't realize Rebels used that too....

Quote:
The black Nick Fury first appeared in the comics in 2001 as one of the "alternate world" Marvel heroes. In fact, very early on the comic character was designed to look like Samuel L. Jackson while the movies were still a gleam in Stan Lee's eye.
The movies weren't a dream and Stan Lee was afigure-head by that point with several restructurings going on at Marvel during the 1990's. I do know the story of the Ultimates Nick Fury being Jackson but my point is they could have easily chosen to take a white actor to be Fury based on the 616 Fury look. That said, Marvel did get a good amount of money off selling their rights to different studios but nothing compared to the amount from Marvel Studios.

Old 12-05-2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The whole thing was that the initial stuff came from the expanded universe novels which were not canon. I didn't realize Rebels used that too....

The movies weren't a dream and Stan Lee was afigure-head by that point with several restructurings going on at Marvel during the 1990's. I do know the story of the Ultimates Nick Fury being Jackson but my point is they could have easily chosen to take a white actor to be Fury based on the 616 Fury look. That said, Marvel did get a good amount of money off selling their rights to different studios but nothing compared to the amount from Marvel Studios.
You realize "gleam in the eye" is a common figure of speech that just means "a long time ago," right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV