Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 05:40 PM

28,680 posts, read 18,806,457 times

Advertisements

Having seen the final episode...

...how many times do I have watch the same ending as "Frozen" and "Maleficent?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 12:27 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,784,156 times
I've seen Frozen a dozen times. How was it like JJ?

Old 12-22-2015, 08:47 AM

32,114 posts, read 34,747,185 times
So can Killgrave control people who don't speak English?

Old 12-22-2015, 10:53 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,544,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I am thankful for that but remember the only ties between Iron Fist and this show is Luke Cage and Hogarth (who works for Danny Rand.)

Be interesting to see who is going to play Daniel Rand. Anyone heard yet? From that website it seems some people want him to be Asian. Not sure why exactly.

Old 12-22-2015, 12:05 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
It was good, not as great IMO as Daredevil. That said, the entire time I kept thinking why don't they use earplugs???

Spoiler
They finally do the last episode, but only for part of it. Fatal flaw in the plot.

Old 12-22-2015, 12:06 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,784,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
So can Killgrave control people who don't speak English?
I'm guessing it would behoove a guy like him to learn other languages.

If people couldn't understand him or follow his directions literally they'd just stand around babbling confused.

Old 12-22-2015, 12:10 PM

28,680 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
It was good, not as great IMO as Daredevil. That said, the entire time I kept thinking why don't they use earplugs???

Spoiler
They finally do the last episode, but only for part of it. Fatal flaw in the plot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I'm guessing it would behoove a guy like him to learn other languages.

If people couldn't understand him or follow his directions literally they'd just stand around babbling confused.
With regards to earplugs, it's not just a vocal thing, but an airborne virus/pheromone thing that sets the person up to obey the command. It's likely that just watching the lip movement conveys enough information subconsciously (even in people who don't think they read lips).

Now, the different language bit is harder to explain, except that the chances of people walking around that know absolutely no English is rare enough not to be a significant problem.

Old 12-22-2015, 12:11 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,544,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post

Spoiler

I agree while I liked JJ it didn't compare to Dare Devil. I've watched the whole season of DD 5 times now.

Old 12-22-2015, 12:24 PM

32,114 posts, read 34,747,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Now, the different language bit is harder to explain, except that the chances of people walking around that know absolutely no English is rare enough not to be a significant problem.
It's not as rare in New York as it would be in many other places.

Quote:
An earlier Daily News article on June 17 cited a New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) survey released the previous day stating that only four out of 175 parents polled said it is easy to communicate with their children’s school. Half of parents surveyed said they didn’t understand what was going on during school meetings because there were no interpreters and 51 percent said important school notifications sent home with their children were not translated into a language they could understand.
Nearly Half of NYC Public School Students Speak Non-English Languages at Home

Old 12-22-2015, 12:30 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,963,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
With regards to earplugs, it's not just a vocal thing, but an airborne virus/pheromone thing that sets the person up to obey the command. It's likely that just watching the lip movement conveys enough information subconsciously (even in people who don't think they read lips).

It's New York City, though. There are likely a lot of people that speak little to no English - Spanish, Chinese, Russian, etc are likely a first and primary language in some areas.

One thing I preferred about Marvel over DC as a kid is that they use real-life locations - New York City, primarily. DC has Metropolis, Gotham City, Starling City, Central City, Smallville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV