Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 10:34 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,449,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
The Fire TV is a more expensive option for gamers and/or those who have an ultra-HD (4K) TV and high-end audio equipment. It doesn't bring anything to the table for 1080P.
My system will be a 4K, but I'm not a gamer. I just want something of quality for Netflix, Hulu and some European services that I like. As for audio equipment, I have surround sound...I have Amazon Prime so I was thinking it would be a good thing just to stick with Amazon, but I'm a novice in this streaming. I don't watch much tv, mainly the European programs, Law and Order, cooking channel, travel tv, PBS, but I want a tv for guests. I have a tv, but not UHD. I have cut the cord, though and have no cable. So happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 10:37 PM

17,189 posts, read 12,036,079 times
While there are some simplistic games available(on sticks too for that matter) that's not what the boxes are for at all. They just have more processing power so you have a more seamless user experience. No stutters navigating around menus and such.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:02 PM

14,691 posts, read 8,004,620 times
Not sure about the other ones, but we use Roku here and love it. I don't miss cable at all.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:55 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,227,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
.....I believe I can get Kodi for either. I won't be giving up my internet.
Kodi installed is just a media player. Its what you decide to play on that player through 3rd party apps (Exodus for example) that can get illegal in the United States and many other countries. At that point chance are rather large you are watching copyrighted material in violation of US copyright laws.
If you decide to go down that road I would suggest buying a quality VPN (virtual private network) and incorporating it in to the system. If you have Netflix you may have to turn off your VPN when using that service.
I use a free VPN on my phone so I can make use of public WiFi with safety. It comes with ads and doesn't allow me to pick networks for free.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:12 AM

18,875 posts, read 27,319,253 times
Go to Walmart and buy cheapest Roku they have. It's like 30 bucks. Works just as fine as $100 one and does not have useless features. You will need to reset it ever so often by pulling power cord out for 15 seconds, but same happens to expensive devices too.
Amazon has little to none to watch. I keep it only because of free shipping.
Roku will give you tons of option. Netflix is likely one.
Yes, you have to keep high speed (HIGH) internet if you want to watch high def movies. Theyr require 4-5Mbps down to stream. You can get say Comcast (Xfinity) 50-75 down for about $35-40.
Another way to approach this is to connect laptop to your TV via long cable. And, simply run off laptop. Then you will have real quality and no delays as there will be drop via WiFi. Plenty of movie and TV shows streaming sites free online. Got to have ADBlock Plus on your browser but that's about it.
Unreal as it may sound, and appear, here's option for you:
https://www.setvnow.com/live-channel...X1QaAmWY8P8HAQ

I ran free trial. It does freeze or drop channel ever so often but hey - it's 20 bucks, right? They do improve continuously, that is true. I am just not really into TV, I am a movie person, that's why I have not subbed them.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:46 AM

2,904 posts, read 1,965,150 times
Have only owned a Roku 3 and it's been a great addition. Bought it a few months before I cancelled cable, and I have not missed cable one bit. In fact, it's been liberating saving money, even when factoring in what I've spent on pay services like Netflix, Hulu, Acorn TV, and at first Amazon Prime.

Key for me has been not subscribing to more than two services at once, and normally wont have both Netflix and Hulu at the same time due to the cost. The first year I had Amazon Prime with Instant Video and it was ok, but they were playing games by suddenly changing a series or movie to pay only. Then I'd look a week or two after deleting that show and it'd show as free again. It was a scam to try getting me to pay for it. Happened too often for it not to have been. Got rid of Amazon and started Netflix. Much better, and Hulu has been great for watching some of the current shows w/o commercials. Have problems consistently getting a good signal with my antenna due to location, that's why Hulu is a good option for me.

Like Roku so much I'm planning on buying one for my mother for Mother's Day. Her contract with AT&T's Direct TV will be up in a year so want her to get used to watching shows on Roku, probably Netflix, so she's willing to finally give up the high Direct TV bill. Looking at the Roku Premiere for her. About $70.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:33 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,415,297 times
So I'm looking for something to hook up to my TV in the bedroom. I get cable on it - but I don't have box so I can't watch Netflix, etc in there.

I REALLY want to get Hulu so I can watch Handmaid's Tale that I read in College

Is Roku or Fire stick better for Hulu? I already have Netflix on my main TV. I also have Amazon Prime.

I am SO CONFUSED

Old 04-24-2017, 06:13 PM

5,236 posts, read 3,576,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Go to Walmart and buy cheapest Roku they have. It's like 30 bucks. Works just as fine as $100 one and does not have useless features. You will need to reset it ever so often by pulling power cord out for 15 seconds, but same happens to expensive devices too.
Amazon has little to none to watch. I keep it only because of free shipping.
Roku will give you tons of option. Netflix is likely one.
Yes, you have to keep high speed (HIGH) internet if you want to watch high def movies. Theyr require 4-5Mbps down to stream. You can get say Comcast (Xfinity) 50-75 down for about $35-40.
Another way to approach this is to connect laptop to your TV via long cable. And, simply run off laptop. Then you will have real quality and no delays as there will be drop via WiFi. Plenty of movie and TV shows streaming sites free online. Got to have ADBlock Plus on your browser but that's about it.
Unreal as it may sound, and appear, here's option for you:
https://www.setvnow.com/live-channel...X1QaAmWY8P8HAQ

I ran free trial. It does freeze or drop channel ever so often but hey - it's 20 bucks, right? They do improve continuously, that is true. I am just not really into TV, I am a movie person, that's why I have not subbed them.
Let me just comment on the bolded part - The cheapest one they have for that price may be an out of date Roku 1, I wouldn't get that now, the newer ones have better processors. There is a Roku stick for around that price which would be perfectly fine tho.

As for resetting I did the same thing as mentioned above until I realized that there is a "Reset" function in the System functions so I don't have to get up at all, just use the remote. Now if I can only teach my dog to get me a beer from the fridge I won't have to move hardly at all....

I too watch way more Netflix than Amazon, but they are trying to up their game, not there yet tho. 2 freebies worth exploring I want to point out are The Shout Factory & TubiTV, some good stuff in there, I just put over 100 titles on my TubuTV queue, worth exploring. They both have commercials.

Is Roku or Fire stick better for Hulu? I already have Netflix on my main TV. I also have Amazon Prime.

I am SO CONFUSED

You can get Hulu on Roku, don't know about Fire.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:25 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,486,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
You can get Hulu on Roku, don't know about Fire.
Yes you can access Hulu with a Fire Stick. Worked fine for me last time I tried it, been awhile.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:30 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,486,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

I am SO CONFUSED
How are you accessing Amazon and Netflix? If you're using a smart TV, most of them also provide access to Hulu. Here's a link that may help: Hulu Help Center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV