Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2020, 08:02 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,266,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Young Sheldon has been ignoring a great deal of Cooper family history as was related on The Big Bang Theory. We learned that his father was a heavy drinker, that his parents were constantly having bitter fights, that Sheldon was constantly bullied while in high school, and we saw the portrait of Sheldon's mother on TBBT, the religious fanatic who can't go ten words without slipping in a commercial for her religious beliefs.

None of that has translated to Young Sheldon. The father is a big softie, Sheldon has never been bullied at school, and his mother's oppressive religiosity is toned way down.

The Young Sheldon showrunners most likely recognized how it would hurt their show if they followed the history established on TBBT. No one would want to watch a drunken dad, screaming fights between parents, and Sheldon regularly getting smacked around in school. So they just pretend like none of that was ever revealed.
What we heard on TBBT was Sheldon's PERCEPTION of his childhood. It was well established that Sheldon didn't interpret reality the way others did. On Young Sheldon, his dad frequently drinks beer. To Sheldon, this may have seemed excessive. His parents did fight often. Sheldon may have thought these were bitter. Sheldon has been bullied -- locked in a gym locker for hours at least once. It may not have been constant, but it doesn't take much bullying for it to leave a lasting impression. His mother does spout off a lot about religion. Her religious fanaticism could easily have increased as she became an aging widow.

So far, I don't see Young Sheldon ignoring the history described in TBBT.

However, Young Sheldon is a show about a family of five with Meemaw across the street. If they do follow the history from TBBT, the show will have to change quite a bit in the next few years, with Sheldon's dad dying and Sheldon moving to California to attend Cal Tech. They'll have to drop all the current characters other than Sheldon.

It'll be interesting to see where they take it. (If it lasts.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2020, 10:17 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,141,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post

So far, I don't see Young Sheldon ignoring the history described in TBBT.
Watch TBBT some more, you will find constant references in support of what I have described, and in such detail as to eliminate any possibility of Sheldon fudging his memories. In one he described his father getting drunk, taking his mother's collection of commemorative dinner plates up to the roof, and using them for skeet shooting. How do you work up a false memory of something like that? There are multiple similar descriptions of such brawling between his parents. The George Sr. of Young Sheldon is light years removed from the George Sr. of TBBT.

You are not the first to try and defend the variance as Sheldon's perceptions, but again, simply watch TBBT and you will see that this explanation is a non starter.

Old 05-01-2020, 12:34 PM

2,106 posts, read 980,404 times
I think young Sheldon is quite close to TBBT Sheldon , after all its was ten years of BBang , I’m sure there could be a lot of nit picking in it to do over those ten years , God, it’s only a spin off , doesn't have to be dead accurate , but it’s damn close enough , leave it be , I enjoy both series

Old 05-01-2020, 01:23 PM

50,873 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Young Sheldon has been ignoring a great deal of Cooper family history as was related on The Big Bang Theory. We learned that his father was a heavy drinker, that his parents were constantly having bitter fights, that Sheldon was constantly bullied while in high school, and we saw the portrait of Sheldon's mother on TBBT, the religious fanatic who can't go ten words without slipping in a commercial for her religious beliefs.

None of that has translated to Young Sheldon. The father is a big softie, Sheldon has never been bullied at school, and his mother's oppressive religiosity is toned way down.

The Young Sheldon showrunners most likely recognized how it would hurt their show if they followed the history established on TBBT. No one would want to watch a drunken dad, screaming fights between parents, and Sheldon regularly getting smacked around in school. So they just pretend like none of that was ever revealed.
I agree...and after all, it is ALL fiction. I know that I wouldn't want to watch such a series.

But last night's episode did have a pretty serious marital fight. It kinda surprised me.

And of course, some have argued that Sheldon's perception of his family's history as an adult, may not be as accurate a reflection of what the child Sheldon actually experienced. I dare say that my grandmother's recollection of my teenage years and family life would probably be very different than my recollections.

Old 05-02-2020, 05:05 AM

19,542 posts, read 9,552,731 times
This past Thursday nights’ show when Sheldon & his Dad at the blackboard working on a presentation to convince his Mom he needs to go away to college.
Young Sheldon: “Mom’s got Jesus on her side.”

Old 05-02-2020, 03:28 PM

9,115 posts, read 6,329,862 times
Quote:
Watch TBBT some more, you will find constant references in support of what I have described, and in such detail as to eliminate any possibility of Sheldon fudging his memories. In one he described his father getting drunk, taking his mother's collection of commemorative dinner plates up to the roof, and using them for skeet shooting. How do you work up a false memory of something like that? There are multiple similar descriptions of such brawling between his parents. The George Sr. of Young Sheldon is light years removed from the George Sr. of TBBT.

You are not the first to try and defend the variance as Sheldon's perceptions, but again, simply watch TBBT and you will see that this explanation is a non starter.
I want to see 'Young Sheldon' get attacked by a bird. That was a recurring meme on TBBT.

Old 05-07-2021, 04:16 PM

50,873 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Default Young Sheldon -- the coming death?

I just read an article claiming that the death of Sheldon's father is soon approaching on the t.v. series.

I won't like that. But such is life.

Old 05-07-2021, 04:20 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,215,508 times
Default Either that or ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I just read an article claiming that the death of Sheldon's father is soon approaching on the t.v. series.

... a wedding. When the writers start to bail bring out the stale plot devices.

WHO SHOT J>R>?

Old 05-07-2021, 05:35 PM

9,888 posts, read 7,226,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

To keep in line with Sheldon's backstory on TBBT, George Sr. still needs to become a heavier drinker and cheat on Mary before he dies. They'll get 2 seasons with that story arc.

Old 05-07-2021, 06:19 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,238,514 times
After seeing last night's episode, I was expecting the Professor's character, John Sturgis, to end. That was an odd episode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV