Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2021, 04:38 PM

25,592 posts, read 56,606,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gia_inNova View Post
I believe they did the interview -because they wanted the story to be told, in their own words. Part of Meghan's frustration was that she felt so many falsehoods and lies were told about her. Obviously, she wasn't able to counter the narrative while still being part of the institution. Since both are no longer working royals, they were free to tell their side of the story, for better of worse, and they took advantage of the opportunity to "set the record straight," while setting the stage for their next venture (i.e. producing content for Netflix).

The interview wasn't that controversial to me, because they didn't say anything that people, who were in the know weren't already aware of. I think a number of people are frustrated by the perceived lack of loyalty, but such is life.

You mentioned that Harry didn't get anything out of the deal, but I would argue that he finally got the "freedom," that he said he wanted.

Your concern is for the monarchy, but it's clear that Harry and Meghan placed a much higher premium on themselves and Archie. I don't blame them for doing so.
So Meghan felt now that she is in the US - she just had to set the story straight?

WHY???? Who in the US reads the UK tabloids or cares? She's no longer in the UK, no longer a working Royal - NONE OF IT MATTERS. Nothing that is written over there affects her here.

There was NO GOOD REASON to "set the story straight" - NOW.

EXCEPT, as you stated, to "set the stage for their next venture."

So, IT WAS INDEED ALL ABOUT THE MONEY.''

And, YES, the interview IS CONTROVERSIAL because it was seen around the world, insulted the Royal Family and the Monarchy, and set off a media tizzy. "You" may not believe it was controversial.

But, YOU are NOT the Royal Family. You can be sure, the Royal Family does not agree with this view.

Time will tell how beneficial all of this has been to Harry. I do agree, as the "spare," he has find his own way. Rather a painful way to do it, however.

There was absolutely no need to publicly cast "racist" aspersions on the "family" - nor for Meghan to whine about a lack of title for Archie when those rules were set up in 1917 by George V, nor to comment on curtsying to Queen. Elizabeth's own sister and mother had to curtsy every time they saw the Queen. Meghan is not from that culture, and it is not her place to publicly comment on royal etiquette going back over 1,000 years. Harry should have told her to shut up on all those issues. It was disrespectful and some of it untrue. Certainly he knew better. Nor to insinuate issues w/Kate when Kate cannot utter a word in her defense.

But, as you said - she set the stage for their next [financial] ventures ..... and that, in the end, is what it was all about.

The entire event was declasse and self-serving at the expense of others.

Old 03-13-2021, 04:52 PM

51,182 posts, read 36,873,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
They have to be loaded to go out and buy a $14 million dollar mansion in Santa Barbara. I'm sure they must have also bought cars, and have staff to pay to maintain that house. I hardly think Harry and Megan are washing floors and cleaning bathrooms. Or checking bank accounts to see if a $1400 Stimulus payment has been deposited. Well that is if they were eligible which they are not. So as far as I'm concerned they are doing pretty damn well for themselves. Hopefully as time goes on we will hear less and less about them. That they will fix their mess and patch things up with their family. Basically do what the rest of us do. Keep our family problems to ourselves..

I hope everyone woke up this morning to find their nice big Stimulus Payment in their bank acct. I did not.
Harry inherited 20 million from Diana's estate years ago, which probably grew to a nice tidy sum over the past 2 decades or so.

Old 03-13-2021, 04:56 PM

9,207 posts, read 6,332,413 times
"The interview wasn't that controversial to me, because they didn't say anything that people, who were in the know weren't already aware of."

"People who were in the know"?

Are you "in the know"? When did you get "in the know"? Since you know, who made the comment about **********. Most of us are just having fun speculating.

I don't think anyone posting on C-D is "in the know".

This is all harmless gossip. No one should get their knickers in a twist about Megan and Harry, except if they are "in the know".

Old 03-13-2021, 04:58 PM

51,182 posts, read 36,873,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I do think they are in love, but I don't really get that they have a passion for humanitarian work. I am not being snarky but I get that they like to talk about their ideals and passions and such but I don't think they are very genuine.

Just my impression
Even before she met Harry, Meghan was very active in humanitarian causes especially those that pertain to women. She has championed women's causes for a very long time. She is an ambassador for several worldwide charities, and that's before Harry. She, like Harry spent time doing humanitarian work in Africa. That's what drew them together. She was an activist even as a little girl, she acclaimed some fame as a child for a campaign she started when she was 11 regarding a dishwashing soap commercial that she felt was demeaning to girls and women. Proctor and Gamble actually changed the commercial due to her efforts. As much as people want to hate her, she is not a piece of fluff, she has substance behind her. Harry has spent extensive time in Africa on humanitarian efforts. Both William and Harry have followed in Diana's footsteps in that regard.

Old 03-13-2021, 05:00 PM

Regarding inheriting money, no one mentions that Harry inherited quite a large sum from the late Queen Mother in addition to his inheritance from his mother, Diana.

"William and Harry were set to share about £14 million ($17.9 million) from their late great-grandmother. However, "bulk of the cash" went to Harry because his brother "will benefit financially by becoming king," the BBC added.

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebr...%20to%20Mirror.

"Harry inherited 20 million from Diana's estate years ago, which probably grew to a nice tidy sum over the past 2 decades or so."

Last edited by Lillie767; 03-13-2021 at 05:24 PM..

Old 03-13-2021, 05:16 PM

14,016 posts, read 8,168,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
4 of the world's top body language experts break down Meghan Markle's body language during the interview with Oprah. No surprise, plenty of markers of deception. Some of it enabled by Oprah. Instead of pressing her on some of the deceptive answers, Oprah affirms them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYyEx20DiKU

Very telling.

Thanks for the link

Old 03-13-2021, 05:25 PM

There are at least two major threads on this topic. It's the subject that keeps on giving.

Old 03-13-2021, 05:45 PM

147 posts, read 61,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
So Meghan felt now that she is in the US - she just had to set the story straight?

WHY???? Who in the US reads the UK tabloids or cares? She's no longer in the UK, no longer a working Royal - NONE OF IT MATTERS. Nothing that is written over there affects her here.
Given that the wedding was broadcasted all over the world, I think many had questions in the U.S., as to why they chose to leave their royal duties. They provided the reason(s) during the interview and shared their side of the story.

There was NO GOOD REASON to "set the story straight" - NOW.
Given that Harry and Meghan's wedding was broadcasted all over the world, I think many Americans were curious as to why they chose to leave their royal duties. They provided the reason(s) during the interview and shared their side of the story.

Quote:

And, YES, the interview IS CONTROVERSIAL because it was seen around the world, insulted the Royal Family and the Monarchy, and set off a media tizzy. "You" may not believe it was controversial.

But, YOU are NOT the Royal Family. You can be sure, the Royal Family does not agree with this view.

Time will tell how beneficial all of this has been to Harry. I do agree, as the "spare," he has find his own way. Rather a painful way to do it, however.

There was absolutely no need to publicly cast "racist" aspersions on the "family" - nor for Meghan to whine about a lack of title for Archie when those rules were set up in 1917 by George V, nor to comment on curtsying to Queen. Elizabeth's own sister and mother had to curtsy every time they saw the Queen. Meghan is not from that culture, and it is not her place to publicly comment on royal etiquette going back over 1,000 years. Harry should have told her to shut up on all those issues. It was disrespectful and some of it untrue. Certainly he knew better. Nor to insinuate issues w/Kate when Kate cannot utter a word in her defense.
If most are in agreement that the British monarchy cares about their bloodline, it's not unfathomable for them to view those who are not of the same bloodline as less desirable or inferior.

Conflict can occur, when those who believe they are inherently superior are unable to get other people to believe they are inherently inferior.

Old 03-13-2021, 05:50 PM

147 posts, read 61,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Well, that’s one perspective. Another is that she (and he also) has been getting unceremoniously lambasted by the British press (mostly of the Murdoch variety), even for things they praised the other wife. The family not only didn’t protect her, they courted that same press who were attacking her, giving the air it was being done with their approval. She also stated she was never trained on the protocols you say she “chafed”; you can’t expect someone to thrive if they’re set up to fail from the start. If being continually libeled by the press (in some ways illegally, as the successful lawsuit shows) and shut out by the family who should be protecting them, they likely thought going public was their only option.

I’m kinda enjoying all talk of Harry being corrupted by the evil (dark) American, breaking him away from his beloved family. A more believable conspiracy would be Harry marrying an outsider (like his beloved mother), forcing them to accept her as family, and using the rift as an excuse to leave the whole charade when they didn’t. Quite possibly he never forgave them for how Diana was treated and wanted them to see how someone could truly break from the iron grip of being a part of that family.
+1

Old 03-13-2021, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gia_inNova View Post

Conflict can occur, when those who believe they are inherently superior are unable to get other people to believe they are inherently inferior.
Well, I know who feels inherently superior just by listening to the loudest voices. Talking loudly and often publicly about family matters is not morally superior.

No one can make you feel inferior. It's all in you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV