Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2023, 08:17 AM

246 posts, read 123,776 times

Advertisements

All comedy is based on real life situations. If it wasn't, they wouldn't be able to connect with audiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2023, 05:36 PM

21,908 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
For me, King of Queens has a light-hearted, positive energy to it. I generally feel happy and relaxed after watching it. Many of the episodes have really excellent writing. I think the whole cast of core characters are all very funny. Each one has their place and they enhance the show. I think its unusual for a sitcom to have so many supporting roles that are so good (Kelly and Deacon, Danny, Spence). One of my all-time favorite episodes is G'night Stalker.

On the other hand, Everybody Loves Raymond leaves me with a negative/down feeling. There are some funny moments, but the overall vibe just doesn't make me want to watch it.
I agree with this 100%. I watched Raymond and liked it but then I started watching KOQ reruns every night and they are hilarious. The writing is really good. I think Kevin James is much better than Raymond. His acting, facial expressions...he is very underrated IMO.

Old 05-29-2023, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamax2 View Post
Great posts everyone !

For the King of Queen fans, which episodes are your favorites?

I really like: Inn Escapable, Pole Lox, the episode where Doug & Carrie go on the cruise with Deacon & Kelly.

There's so many funny episodes, even some that are just ok are still better than anything else on tv.
So many:

The one where he makes Carrie go out with the cop to get out of a ticket.
The one where Doug takes a picture of his pe___.
The barking dog episode
The one where Doug takes over managing Arthur's life from Carrie.
When Doug buys a motorcycle
Doug helps Carrie make a new friend then gets jealous she is not spending time with him.
Doug accidentally staples his ba___.
When Doug calls Arthur a demented circus monkey.
When they go away with Deacon and Kelly and realize D&K have sex ALL the time.
When they buy stock.

That's just through season 2.

Old 05-30-2023, 02:09 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,192 times
Quote:
Great posts everyone !

For the King of Queen fans, which episodes are your favorites?

I really like: Inn Escapable, Pole Lox, the episode where Doug & Carrie go on the cruise with Deacon & Kelly.

There's so many funny episodes, even some that are just ok are still better than anything else on tv.
IMO, about 95% of the episodes! One of my favs is when Doug dressed up as a clown to entertain Major and Carrie was beating his a!* on the fire escape while Major watched being traumatized.

Old 05-31-2023, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I'll be the lone dissenter. Jerry Stiller RUINS every show he's in. His over the top characters are just a PITA to watch. I watch KOQ until his character appears, then it's time to channel surf. Same thing when watching Seinfeld.

Now to me, Peter Boyle NAILED the father figure on Everybody Loves Raymond. Even with his TV wife being a little much, this show had a more realistic and entertaining feel to it.
I used to think that. But I realize he is a polished comedic talent. He's probably not my favorite character. But some of his stuff IS funny.

Old 05-31-2023, 01:28 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
I was surprised to learn that Peter Boyle was very good friends
with (of all people) John Lennon and that Lennon was the best man
at his wedding.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-01-2023, 03:01 PM

551 posts, read 343,805 times
I can only watch certain episodes of Raymond. Everyone on the show just seems so miserable and they’re all way too involved in each others lives. There was an episode where the whole family met with Father Hubley and he said maybe this family is a little too close like ping-pong balls bouncing off each other.

There seems to be kind of an underlying meanness in how they get along: the name calling and making fun of each other isn’t always funny especially the way they do it. It also seems there is no chemistry between Ray and Debra, seems they don’t really like each other.

When I watch King of Queens I can’t stop laughing. Carrie and Doug have great chemistry even though Doug is an over grown man child and Carrie can be mean, overall, they just seem so much happier, than when I watch the Ray and Debra couple.

I like the writing on King of Queens I think many of the episodes seem realistic.

Old 06-02-2023, 06:38 AM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
I can only watch certain episodes of Raymond. Everyone on the show just seems so miserable and they’re all way too involved in each others lives. There was an episode where the whole family met with Father Hubley and he said maybe this family is a little too close like ping-pong balls bouncing off each other.

There seems to be kind of an underlying meanness in how they get along: the name calling and making fun of each other isn’t always funny especially the way they do it. It also seems there is no chemistry between Ray and Debra, seems they don’t really like each other.

When I watch King of Queens I can’t stop laughing.
It's interesting because I feel exactly the opposite. I'm actually re-watching King of Queens now and although it's funny and I enjoy it, I rarely actually laugh out loud. There was an episode I didn't remember where Carrie keeps cheating during games with friends and then Doug figures out it's because when she was a kid, Arthur used to brutally mock her and rub it in her face when he won games they played together. It's so clearly abusive, it wasn't really funny, just sad. Then there's Spence living with his mentally ill mom, and Danny loses his business and his wife but Doug doesn't want to help him out because he's "annoying" (I still don't see why he's so annoying?). And I just reached the episode where Holly comes into it and we all know how sad Holly is yet everyone ignores her depression because they don't care about her. So many of the characters are so sad and Doug and Carrie wanting nothing to do with them because of it is pretty terrible.

But when I watch Raymond, I can't stop laughing. They are way too involved in each other's lives but that's where the humor comes from - and when it really matters, they are there for each other. At least they don't scream "LOSER! LOSER! LOSER!" in their children's faces when they win a simple board game. How is that funny?

Quote:
Carrie and Doug have great chemistry even though Doug is an over grown man child and Carrie can be mean, overall, they just seem so much happier, than when I watch the Ray and Debra couple.
I always attribute that to the fact that they don't have kids, lol. Also, Doug can be mean to Carrie too - like the episode when he was feeling down about his weight so he started pointing out Carrie's flaws just to bring her down too because misery loves company. He had her obsessing over trying to cover her big forehead just to make himself feel better.

Quote:
I like the writing on King of Queens I think many of the episodes seem realistic.
Arthur's character never seemed realistic to me, I guess that's partly why I find him so annoying. And there's definitely circumstances in KOQ I find unrealistic. Like when Carrie pretends to be single and goes out with the cop who gave her a ticket so she can get out of the ticket - that doesn't seem very realistic to me. Or the time they don't want to go to Maryland for a wedding but feel obligated so they rsvp that they're attending but then try to get other guests to take their gift, pick up their name cards, push the food around on their plates and tell the bride and groom they were there. Come on, no one would think that would work. But it doesn't mean it's not funny, lol - unrealistic doesn't mean not funny.

Like I say, all sitcoms exaggerate things for the humor, I won't not watch it because of that. Characters and their relationships have to be flawed so they have something to make jokes about.

Old 06-02-2023, 12:43 PM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
We still quote KoQ in our house all these years later.

Old 06-02-2023, 08:53 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,538,811 times
One of the surprising moments in KoQ is in the episode "King Pong" - where they get a ping pong table and Doug secretly has Arthur train him to win at ping pong. In one scene, Doug wins, and he jumps from a standing position, stretching both legs out in a V-shape, touching his toes with his fingers at the height of his jump.

It astounded me that he could do that, as he doesn't appear to be an extremely flexible or athletic person. I don't think very many people could actually do it. It would be the type of thing a young gymnast could do, but not a somewhat heavy-set adult man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV