Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2022, 08:22 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamax2 View Post
Wonder why never nominated ? The episodes seem believable and most relatable.

What are your fav episodes ?
I believe it was never nominated because it was about a husband and wife who were in love. And cared for and housed the crazy old man.

In it's own way it was a family comedy. They stayed married. They took care of the elder male.

Hollywood doesn't like traditional. If they were biracial gay men who took in an aging drag queen? Same jokes. A billion awards. No doubts about that.

YMMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2023, 06:32 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,199,915 times
I couldn't stand the old man yelling all the time in the King of Queens. He irritated me. He did some crazy things that ruined the flow of the show for me. I liked the shows where the father was just a nominal role. Same thing with Robert's wife's family. Those people - especially the brother - were just too annoying and weird for me. I like the shows without them but couldn't really rewatch the shows where they are featured.

Old 05-25-2023, 06:46 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Kevin James Falling Down: The King Of Queens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbnpwY-9ALk

Epic!

Ray Romano's idea of physical comedy is just sitting around looking confused, constipated, or suicidal 24/7...lol
But, I don't think that someone falling out of a window or crashing into people is funny.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-25-2023, 06:59 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd3DgA0BRSQ

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-26-2023, 06:21 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,192 times
KOQ over Raymond any day!

Old 05-26-2023, 10:10 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Never saw either one, something about the title of either would turn me off flat. Admittedly, in this age, something called "The King of Queens" makes me think it is a "The birdcage" sitcom.....and I am not touching that with a 10 foot pole. So such a show is doomed before the start from bad marketing.

But...."Everyone loves Raymond" is also almost doomed before it starts for the title suggests to me someone with something about them that makes them dysfunctional but you still love him despite the misery. Such is not entertainment to me but torture......and such is the reason why, though I knew of the show, never watched it. The one thing going for "Raymond" is that 2 of the cast members, Peter Boyle and Doris Roberts, but it is not much. Peter Boyle might, MIGHT, entice but that's very iffy.

Old 05-26-2023, 01:48 PM

4,831 posts, read 3,259,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Never saw either one, something about the title of either would turn me off flat. Admittedly, in this age, something called "The King of Queens" makes me think it is a "The birdcage" sitcom.....and I am not touching that with a 10 foot pole. So such a show is doomed before the start from bad marketing.

But...."Everyone loves Raymond" is also almost doomed before it starts for the title suggests to me someone with something about them that makes them dysfunctional but you still love him despite the misery. Such is not entertainment to me but torture......and such is the reason why, though I knew of the show, never watched it. The one thing going for "Raymond" is that 2 of the cast members, Peter Boyle and Doris Roberts, but it is not much. Peter Boyle might, MIGHT, entice but that's very iffy.

I'm not really a fan of sitcoms, but I do enjoy watching a good cast that plays well together... and both these shows fit the bill. Either one is still available pretty well 24/7 if you decide to take a look.

Peter Boyle was a huge plus to 'Raymond', as was Jerry Stiller to 'King'.

Curiously, I feel much like you when it comes to 'Seinfeld'. Never seen anything more than a clip or two from it, and not even the least bit interested.

Old 05-26-2023, 02:09 PM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:

And yet both shows were very popular for many seasons and people still love them today - neither were doomed (and neither was The Birdcage, it was very popular and made almost 200 million). I can't imagine how many good shows and movies you're missing out on just because you don't like the name and you're making wrong assumptions about the show. That's like judging a book by it's cover.

Also, why would you not touch The Birdcage with a 10 foot pole? That sounds a little homophobic.

Old 05-26-2023, 02:13 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
And yet both shows were very popular for many seasons and people still love them today - neither were doomed (and neither was The Birdcage, it was very popular and made almost 200 million). I can't imagine how many good shows and movies you're missing out on just because you don't like the name and you're making wrong assumptions about the show. That's like judging a book by it's cover.

Also, why would you not touch The Birdcage with a 10 foot pole? That sounds a little homophobic.
So are The Simpsons, Family Guy, and Married with Children.....and I would never watch those, either! Further, Married with Children absolutely disgusts me.

As far as why I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole......I don't like shows where the theme is for people to make fools of themselves, display themselves as blithering idiots.....which, of course, is much of the entertainment today......isn't it?

Old 05-26-2023, 02:17 PM

2,020 posts, read 976,503 times
Quote:
So are The Simpsons, Family Guy, and Married with Children.....and I would never watch those, either! Further, Married with Children absolutely disgusts me.

As far as why I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole......I don't like shows where the theme is for people to make fools of themselves, display themselves as blithering idiots.....which, of course, is much of the entertainment today......isn't it?
And yet...comment after comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV