Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2009, 04:33 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,892,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I have two daughters, you have no idea what a protective instinct is until you are a father with daughters. But, hearing swear words on TV is a very small concern of mine when it comes to my kids. They know what swear words are and they know not to use them. There is such thing as being overprotective and it can be disastrous.

I never said SOA was healthy for kids. The show isnt designed for kids, it is designed for adults. That is why it airs on a cable channel that is geared towards adults at the latest prime time slot and not on Nickelodeon at 4 in the afternoon. It's not the job of FX to parent for us.

The problem is, too many parents aren't doing what you are doing with yours - they don't use parental controls or monitor what their kids are watching, and we all suffer because of that. We are now on second and third generations raised on tv and the effects on our society have been disasterous.

I think cable tv and things like the National Enquirer pander to our basest human weaknesses and for the most part do nothing to uplift the human condition. But we are getting off topic - the OP asked can cable tv get away with this, and the answer is yes, because we let them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 05:27 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,852,292 times
Exactly, and have any of you seen the video games the same 13/14/15 year olds play on their gameboys, Nintendo DS, or WII's??? Trust me, a few swear words aint got nothing on the whoring, mutilation, cop killing, glorified theft and all out exploitation of the human body in 3d form. Make sure you monitor those games you are buying before you concern yourself with auditory vulgarizations bothering you enough to complain to the cable company.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:11 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,020,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
The problem is, too many parents aren't doing what you are doing with yours - they don't use parental controls or monitor what their kids are watching, and we all suffer because of that. We are now on second and third generations raised on tv and the effects on our society have been disasterous.

I think cable tv and things like the National Enquirer pander to our basest human weaknesses and for the most part do nothing to uplift the human condition. But we are getting off topic - the OP asked can cable tv get away with this, and the answer is yes, because we let them.

I agree that most parents dont do that. However, you cant soften everything on TV because people arent parenting properly. If everything were designed to be for the audience of children, no one would ever grow up. I know I dont want to be punished and deprived of adult oriented entertainment because of people not parenting properly.

FX is in their legal right to offer such program and being that it is their highest rated show, there is a demand for it. It is designed for kids and put in a timeslot that kids should not be watching.

I do not think TV shows are having as much of an affect on society as you think. I honestly think that the news media is worse for society than a fictional TV show.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:10 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,662,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

They are not "getting away" with anything. They have a legal right to show anything that they think people will enjoy watching.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:17 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,532,513 times
I don't know too many young kids who are still awake and unsupervised that time of night. If they are, and are watching SOA, the show itself is the least of their problems - I think having unaware parents who allow children to stay up too late is the larger issue there. In any event, their problem is not your problem. Mind what happens in your own home, and let others do the same.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:39 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,683,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Exactly, and have any of you seen the video games the same 13/14/15 year olds play on their gameboys, Nintendo DS, or WII's??? Trust me, a few swear words aint got nothing on the whoring, mutilation, cop killing, glorified theft and all out exploitation of the human body in 3d form. Make sure you monitor those games you are buying before you concern yourself with auditory vulgarizations bothering you enough to complain to the cable company.
Are you talking about Grand Theft Auto??? My mom LOVES that game! Me and my little brother (ok...he's 17 now, but to me he's still my little bro) play all kinds of raunchy, whoring, mutilating games and we turned out ok We were taught to separate a game from reality by our parents.

Of course, my parents had basically zero restrictions on what we listened to, watched, played etc. BUT if we cursed in the wrong venue (at a restaurant, in public, in front of other adults) or behaved improperly there would be HELL TO PAY. We're allowed to say whatever we want when it's just us... but we were taught early on that the freedom my parents gave us was not to be taken lightly and it was a rare privilege that we took seriously.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:57 AM

208 posts, read 470,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
I don't know too many young kids who are still awake and unsupervised that time of night. If they are, and are watching SOA, the show itself is the least of their problems - I think having unaware parents who allow children to stay up too late is the larger issue there. In any event, their problem is not your problem. Mind what happens in your own home, and let others do the same.
That is exactly it. It is easier to use a scape goat then to claim responsibility.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:14 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,020,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Exactly, and have any of you seen the video games the same 13/14/15 year olds play on their gameboys, Nintendo DS, or WII's???

All those systems you listed are Nintendo products and they do not offer adult oriented gaming that have violence and cursing. They only offer games they have family ratings.

Xbox and Playstation do offer games that are adult oriented though.

I'm sorry but if a kid is going to be so influenced by those games to imitate the acts, the issue is not the video game. It is the mental health of the child and/or the parenting.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:27 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,122,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
All those systems you listed are Nintendo products and they do not offer adult oriented gaming that have violence and cursing. They only offer games they have family ratings.

Xbox and Playstation do offer games that are adult oriented though.

I'm sorry but if a kid is going to be so influenced by those games to imitate the acts, the issue is not the video game. It is the mental health of the child and/or the parenting.
Plenty of the games for Nintendo platforms carry the Mature rating... just an FYI.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:49 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,852,292 times
Yes, we definitely need to go back to more control on TV. There is just way to much loose language and exposure of anatomy.
1942 -- Tweety forced to wear clothes Tweety Bird first appears in "A Tale of Two Kitties." Animator Bob Clampett originally draws him without feathers, but the Hays Office censorship bureau thinks the plucked bird is just a little too naked.
1952 -- Lucy gets knocked up: Ball's pregnancy during an entire season of "I Love Lucy," the actual word "pregnant" isn't allowed on air.
1956 -- Elvis' pelvis shoved off screen "The Ed Sullivan Show" is seen by 60 million people (about 80 percent of America's TV owners at the time). but not Elvis below the waist.
1959 -- Advertisers rewrite history
On the dramatic anthology series "Playhouse 90," an episode titled "Judgment at Nuremberg" has all references to gas chambers eliminated from its re-enactment of the Nazi trials. This is done at the behest of the show's slightly sensitive sponsor, the American Gas Association.
1960: Host Jack Paar walks off the set of "The Tonight Show" in the middle of taping an episode. He would not return for a month. The reason? Censors cut a joke that used the phrase "water closet."
1964-1966 -- Censors throw down in navel wars Mary Ann from "Gilligan's Island," Jeannie from "I Dream of Jeannie," and "Gidget" are all barred from baring their navels. Actress Mariette Hartley receives the same treatment in a 1966 episode of "Star Trek,"
1979 -- Miss Piggy's ultimate rejection "The Muppet Show" is banned from TV in Saudi Arabia, due to Miss Piggy's, well, pig-ness. (The Prophet Muhammad declared the flesh of swine "an abomination.") Merchandise bearing her likeness is confiscated from shops and destroyed.
1971: A major breakthrough occurs as the toilet is finally allowed to perform its function. The first flush is heard, but not seen, on a first-season episode of "All in the Family." TV's first flusher is, of course, Archie Bunker.

U.S. Supreme Court strikes down cable TV censorship law
Basic speech principles are at stake in this case. When the purpose and design of a statute is to regulate speech by reason of its
content, special consideration or latitude is not accorded to the Government merely because the law can somehow be described as a burden
rather than outright suppression. We cannot be influenced, moreover, by the perception that the regulation in question is not a major one
because the speech is not very important. The history of the law of free expression is one of vindication in cases involving speech that
many citizens may find shabby, offensive, or even ugly. It follows that all content-based restrictions on speech must give us more than a
moment's pause. If television broadcasts can expose children to the real risk of harmful exposure to indecent materials, even in their own
home and without parental consent, there is a problem the Government can address. It must do so, however, in a way consistent with First
Amendment principles. Here the Government has not met the burden the First Amendment imposes.
The Government has failed to show that §505 is the least restrictive means for addressing a real problem; and the District
Court did not err in holding the statute violative of the First Amendment. In light of our ruling, it is unnecessary to address the
second question presented: whether the District Court was divested of jurisdiction to consider the Government's postjudgment motions after
the Government filed a notice of appeal in this Court. The judgment of the District Court is affirmed.
It is so ordered.

THE DISTRICT OF DELAWARE
[May 22, 2000]

In addition, All cable tv licenses have to abide by one simple stipulation in their contract with the FCC, the city, or government entity where they are broadcasting, and it is as follows:

3.4---PARENTAL CONTROL CAPABILITY
The Licensee shall provide, upon request, Subscribers with the capability to control the reception
of any channels being received on their television sets, pursuant to applicable law. Where
Converters are utilized, there shall be no separate charge, other than the price normally charged
by the Licensee for the Converter itself, for such parental control capability. The Licensee shall
advise potential Subscribers of the availability of such parental control.

Last edited by sinsativ; 11-20-2009 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: Add Parental Control
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV