Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2009, 10:36 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,480,141 times

Advertisements

Chibs did not come completely clean. He neglected to tell them that he told the feds where the safe house is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 01:02 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,892,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcnyc View Post
How about neither?

Seeing a good bit of "pro swearing" on this thread (RJRobb, KentuckyDad). Weird. What are you two a couple of Salty dogs cussing away? How can you possibly advocate the use of the words "sh*t" and "p*$$y" on regaular TV? I do not understand that AT ALL.

It is reality? so what? So is violence and sex. Is it not common sense to shelter kids/ teens from this stuff?

That same Sons of Anarchy episode showed this same woman taking it from behind from her husband's friend. I mean..... your telling me a 14/15 year old flipping through the channels should be able to see this?
Sad, isn't it? But then a lot of men are like that - they somehow missed out on that protective instinct that would tell them this kind of stuff isn't healthy for kids.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Have you heard of channel blocking? You can block the channels with objectionable content completely. If you don't like what you see on TV, then don't watch TV. Pretty simple equation if you ask me.
Look, I'm a grownup - I may not care to see some of what I get exposed to on tv, but I can handle it. My concern is for the young kids in this country. Too many of them have easy access to tv and can find this stuff without even trying. It's not right.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:05 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,185,843 times
gee....sounds JUST like the bike club [Hells Angels] that got their houses raided in Las Vegas thge other day.....I'm sure they would have said "Excuse me officer, am I violating some principle of law?"

Old 11-19-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
You live a pretty sheltered life then. I know ministers that use swear words. The VP of my company cusses in about every single meeting we have.

Regardless, that show is about a motorcycle club that runs guns. How do you expect them to speak?

Who the hell channel surfs in 2009? My guess is that if you have cable, you have a guide on your television that tells you exactly what is on and it will even tell you what the show is rated. So, you can filter exactly the content you want to see.

Sons of Anarchy is entertainment. People choose to watch that show because they find it appealing for entertainment value. It is not having an influence on anyone other than entertainment value. If it is having an influence to someone than that person has some psychological issues that need to be worked out.

I suppose video games are responsible for violence in schools?
You know, I can believe a minister may let fly a few damns or sh*ts - they are only human and in the heat of the moment (like you've smashed your thumb or something) these words do come up in all of us.

But in general people with class and manners don't speak that way in common everyday conversation. I do not live a "sheltered life" I simply believe we as a society are not doing a very good job the last few decades of raising our kids. In general, we expose them to too much that is not healthy for them from a very young age. And because we do we are reaping the horrible consequences.

I could go on and on about what those are, but that would be hijacking this thread. So to get back on topic, yes, cable tv gets away with a lot, and no, I am not into government censorship. I am strictly for personal responsibility - something too many parents and cable tv executives are sorely lacking.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:14 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,592,859 times
glorification of wasp thug behavior. you got it on the black thug shows too. lets get out of the thug biz, larges prison population in the world, dont give stones to enemies if you live in a glass house.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:28 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,988,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
I think if you are talking about the IRA member married to Chibs ex, his name is "Jimmy O" and he is about to get put down by the feds.
Thats right, I was cocktailing while the show was on. Jimmy wont be an easy one to catch.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:30 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,988,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
I think Chibbs, even though he came clean will still be branded a snitch, I think he won't make it out of this season

And did I miss something with Tig and Gemma, was their always something there, or was this a spur of the moment thing? I thought for a moment, Chibbs and her were going to start tongue fighting
I'm not sure who pulls the trigger SOA or IRA, but I dont think Chibbs makes season 3 either.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:04 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,020,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
But in general people with class and manners don't speak that way in common everyday conversation. I do not live a "sheltered life" I simply believe we as a society are not doing a very good job the last few decades of raising our kids. In general, we expose them to too much that is not healthy for them from a very young age. And because we do we are reaping the horrible consequences.
A TV show designed for the entertainment of ADULTS has nothing to do with society raising their children. This show airs at night after most children have gone to bed. Should adults be deprived of adult-oriented entertainment in the off chance a child sees the show?

I am a well-educated adult with children. I cuss regularly. It isnt because I lack class or maturity, it is because that is how I choose to express myself. I also know when to use it and when not to use it.

On top of that, I have some of the most respectful, well-behaved children you will ever come across. On top of that, my oldest is known to be one of the top students in her entire elementary school. I do a great job of raising my children despite my tendacy to use swear words.

Quote:
I could go on and on about what those are, but that would be hijacking this thread. So to get back on topic, yes, cable tv gets away with a lot, and no, I am not into government censorship. I am strictly for personal responsibility - something too many parents and cable tv executives are sorely lacking.

Yes, personal responsibility. That does not mean cutting shows like SOA off the air or eliminating the swear words from the show. That means parents need to use the tools provided to them such as filters and blocks to make sure their kids dont watch SOA or any other programs like it. Or they could just be parents and talk to their kids and make sure they watch the shows they are allowed to watch. My kids dont watch SOA because they know they arent suppose too because I talk to them and they listen.

The job of cable executives is to provide television programming that people watch and will generate ad revenue. Sons of Anarchy is the most watched show on the FX network. So, the cable executives are doing their job by providing the show with all it's swear words. Their job is not to protect people's children from hearing or seeing things they should not. That is the job of the parents and the parents only.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:10 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,020,931 times
Quote:
Sad, isn't it? But then a lot of men are like that - they somehow missed out on that protective instinct that would tell them this kind of stuff isn't healthy for kids.

I have two daughters, you have no idea what a protective instinct is until you are a father with daughters. But, hearing swear words on TV is a very small concern of mine when it comes to my kids. They know what swear words are and they know not to use them. There is such thing as being overprotective and it can be disastrous.

I never said SOA was healthy for kids. The show isnt designed for kids, it is designed for adults. That is why it airs on a cable channel that is geared towards adults at the latest prime time slot and not on Nickelodeon at 4 in the afternoon. It's not the job of FX to parent for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV