Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 08:08 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,069,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegirl View Post
I'm quite serious.

Yes there are some who HAVE to go away for buiness trips to keep a JOB, food on the table and a roof over their heads. If Jon and Kate are able to purchase a 1.3 million dollar home plus whatever condo they purchased in Utah, I think it's quite safe to say that Kate does not need to be away a lot to keep food on the table. There's a difference.

I did not say that Kate is a terrible parent, I gave my opinion that she does not serve as a great role model for other parents, as Kramercat suggested.
So, at what amount of savings/net worth should a person quit their job so they don't travel anymore? We could live on 1/3 of our current income (keep food on the table and a roof) and yet DH keeps his job that requires occasional travel. I don't have a million dollar house but I have way more than I need. Heck, Bill Gates still goes to work and he doesn't need to. I think your argument is ridiculous.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:10 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,956,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
I think your argument is ridiculous.
I'm so sad to hear that.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:12 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,485,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegirl View Post
And I stand by my response. It is Kate's choice to continue to do seasons with TLC to make money, and I feel it's at the expense of her marriage and her children's well being. She obviously feels otherwise, and she's free to do so.

We are not discussing other celebrities/politicians/newspeople, we are discussing Jon and Kate Gosselin in this thread.
Kate's choice? OK - regardless of your feelings for Kate - the house needs to be paid for and I don't see Jon out there doing anything. I suppose Kate could go back to nursing and take on extra shifts to pay for that house - she'd be gone just as much and they'd have less. Would you be happy then? Or they could both get jobs and have a nanny - would that be better? I wasn't mentioning other celebrities - just the concept that many many people have to travel for their jobs - I don't know why Kate traveling is any different.....

Old 03-24-2009, 08:14 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,956,384 times
So anyway, I only caught half of the season finale last night, I will have to wait until it airs again to catch it. But I think I'm finished watching the show, since Kate irritates me so much.

It's a shame, because the original attraction to the show was those adorable kids.

Now TLC is going to force A Table for 12 down our throats during commercial breaks for the next few months.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:31 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,135,731 times
feel some empathy for those poor kids!----maybe kate wears the pants in the family cause JON WAS TOO LAZY AND/OR IMMATURE TO PUT THEM ON AND SOMEONE HAD TO WEAR THEM!

Old 03-24-2009, 10:30 AM

713 posts, read 2,719,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post

Kate's voice going on and on about the Harlem Globetrotters was somewhat emotionless. Jon had LITTLE to say. I'd much rather see the children than Jon and Kate. Kate kept saying that she was loving what she was doing and poor Jon was just "frustrated".
Oh gosh, yes, that woman's voice just droned on and on. I felt sorry for Jon that he wasn't "allowed" to voice his frustration. Someone needs to put a muzzle over that woman's mouth!

Old 03-24-2009, 10:33 AM

713 posts, read 2,719,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by returningtonepa??? View Post
feel some empathy for those poor kids!----maybe kate wears the pants in the family cause JON WAS TOO LAZY AND/OR IMMATURE TO PUT THEM ON AND SOMEONE HAD TO WEAR THEM!
Correct me if I am wrong, but I have yet to see Kate harp on Jon to get a "real job." Seriously, I don't think that she would be happy if he suddenly became the bread winner. It would take away her power.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:34 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,355,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verynicebecky View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but I have yet to see Kate harp on Jon to get a "real job." Seriously, I don't think that she would be happy if he suddenly became the bread winner. It would take away her power.
I agree. I think she wants to be the one bringing in the money. Why does it have to be Jon making the money? Why can't Kate? What's wrong with the woman being the bread winner? I was in my family at one time. It is their choice that Jon doesn't work. If they wanted him to get a job, I'm sure he'd be working. It's ridiculous to accuse him of being lazy because he doesn't have a job.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:15 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,069,536 times
I thought Jon worked from home now. That's what was said on the show last night.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:17 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,156,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I agree. I think she wants to be the one bringing in the money. Why does it have to be Jon making the money? Why can't Kate? What's wrong with the woman being the bread winner? I was in my family at one time. It is their choice that Jon doesn't work. If they wanted him to get a job, I'm sure he'd be working. It's ridiculous to accuse him of being lazy because he doesn't have a job.
I haven't watched Jon & Kate for about a year now because I don't think watching "celebrities" raise their children is interesting. When you have personal shoppers, an array of babysitters, a huge house, and a lot of money to buy organic food, the "real life" part of the show goes out the window. Plus, how many vacations do these people need? An average family gets one vacation per year. They've been on quite a few...Utah, North Carolina, Disneyworld, Hawaii, etc, etc. What made the show interesting was watching them figure out how to manage it all. Taking the kids to the local theme park or the annual 4th of July parade. That is real life. The show has departed from its roots and the Gosselins seem to have lost their way.

However, since I have been watching from the beginning, I think it's unfair for anyone here to label Jon as some sort of loser who doesn't have a real job. Before TLC came along and they started getting "freebies" who do you think took care of the family? Jon went to work every day and then came home and took an active role in his kids lives. Does anyone here besides me remember him driving practically non-stop to Florida because Kate said she was "unfamiliar with the roads"? I recall him getting the same number of kids dressed for every outing they took just as Kate did. He was literally getting his hands dirty when the kids were sick (remember him changing sheets and comforters and running up and down the stairs just like Kate was doing?)

It wasn't so many seasons ago when they were clearly working as a team. Jon worked outside the house, Kate worked inside and did the budgeting and shopping. I loved the episode with her coupons. Kate got the girls ready, Jon got the boys ready. Kate potty trained the girls and Jon was very involved in potty training the boys. Kate took the girls for their days out, Jon took the boys. They both took the kids on their individual days out. Kate would ask Jon to take the kids downstairs while she cooked or cleaned. I could go on and on.

This show needs to end. I am sure there is footage of Jon and Kate both saying at the beginning of the show that they would stop as soon as they weren't having fun anymore. Well, I did DVR last night's episode and it is very clear that Jon has checked out. Kate has become someone who "loves shopping". How many seasons ago did we see an episode where Jon had to literally take her shopping and show her what to wear because she didn't like to go shopping? Kate said last night that "packing up the kids and heading to do a taping of the Oprah show was normal". When are the kids going to school?

The problem here is that they are not on the same page anymore. As someone who's been married for 10 years myself, I know that there are ups and downs in every marriage but what keeps you together is learning to compromise. There is no reason to do the show anymore. When the kids go to school full-time next year, what is there to film? It's time to work on their marriage, Kate's got to learn to compromise (since it seems like when she says "she loves what she's doing now" that is code for "I am enjoying the limelight and the benefits that go along with it") and Jon needs to return to being a work outside the home dad. He did that for years and it made him feel like he's contributing. I can tell just by watching this one episode that he seems like he feels that he's a man without a purpose. Things are not going to go well for them if they continue down this path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV