Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 10:35 PM

22,943 posts, read 28,339,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Great sci-fi shows of recent memory, I really liked the "Invisible Man" on SCI-FI channel and Enterprise (but we know UPN just got tired of the franchise).
I liked Enterprise. I didn't love it, but I was starting to feel the love when it was cancelled. Too bad.

The Dead Zone on USA started out really excellent, but I think they're starting to stretch it out too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Incidentally you should consider Smallville again- I remember the stretch of episodes you're refering to- it's gotten a lot better, it's darker and gritter (no the high school Clark trying to make the football team). So it's clearly showing the challenges of a very dark world Superman will need to protect...anyway different thread
Someone else told me the same thing recently. Maybe I'll try to pick it up again over summer reruns. I really liked the first few seasons quite a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 12:01 PM

389 posts, read 1,658,262 times
Exclamation off topic-old shows

They need to bring back a show I caught maybe a few times called "Space 1999 "with Martin Landeuw.maybe the updated version could be moonbase 2014.as far as sci-fi shows it held its own .As did "Man from Atlantis" with Patrick Duffy.Since Nasa wants to go back to the moon why not bring back something like Space 1999?

Old 08-15-2007, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,730 times
Find the real truth about bionics

Educate yourself at http://www.ethicalbionics.org

Old 08-16-2007, 03:53 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,906,421 times
The sci-fi show I really liked was UFO. The premise was that earth is under near constant attack from UFOs but it's not public knowledge. A world agency is charged with protecting earth and keeping it all quiet. It wasn't big budget but what I found very eerie was that they never showed the aliens. The UFOs would appear and you were as just in the dark about them as the earth defenders. We didn't know their target, their purpose, or anything else. It made the aliens much more sinister and leant an air of reality. The clone girls weren't bad either .

Another show I loved the premise of was Genesis II. This was a Roddenberry show that didn't survive even one season and it's a pity it didn't. The idea was that an enormous space ship carrying refugees from a destroyed earth was traveling through space carrying these giant biodomes where ordinary people lived. Because of a disaster the ship was damaged and as generations pass, they lose the knowledge that they are on a space ship. Each dome takes on its own culture and only a handful of scientists are left who know the truth and they travel among the domes trying to convince them of reality. One of my favorite Saturday morning cartoons, Thundarr the Barbarian (I was in love with Princess Ariel), was based on a similar post-apocalyptic premise. Think of Mad Max only a lot farther into the future. I think it's a fecund area for sci-fi exploration.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:45 PM

2,072 posts, read 6,703,675 times
Default Thundarr

I agree Thundarr the barbarian was a great cartoon, too bad they never brought that show back, but i do have that on DVD and they actually made action figures in the 1990's.

So what day does this new Bionic woman start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
The sci-fi show I really liked was UFO. The premise was that earth is under near constant attack from UFOs but it's not public knowledge. A world agency is charged with protecting earth and keeping it all quiet. It wasn't big budget but what I found very eerie was that they never showed the aliens. The UFOs would appear and you were as just in the dark about them as the earth defenders. We didn't know their target, their purpose, or anything else. It made the aliens much more sinister and leant an air of reality. The clone girls weren't bad either .

Another show I loved the premise of was Genesis II. This was a Roddenberry show that didn't survive even one season and it's a pity it didn't. The idea was that an enormous space ship carrying refugees from a destroyed earth was traveling through space carrying these giant biodomes where ordinary people lived. Because of a disaster the ship was damaged and as generations pass, they lose the knowledge that they are on a space ship. Each dome takes on its own culture and only a handful of scientists are left who know the truth and they travel among the domes trying to convince them of reality. One of my favorite Saturday morning cartoons, Thundarr the Barbarian (I was in love with Princess Ariel), was based on a similar post-apocalyptic premise. Think of Mad Max only a lot farther into the future. I think it's a fecund area for sci-fi exploration.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:41 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,425,918 times
Okay, so now that we've seen the first episode of Bionic Woman, what did everyone think?

If I hadn't read that the premise of the new version was going to be different than the original, I think I would have been seriously disappointed. So it's a good thing I went into it tonight with no expectations. As a result, I thought it was interesting. I think it would have been better if they'd made the pilot a 2-hour episode, so as to go more deeply into Jaime's relationship with Will, as well as show more details about her recovery. But I think everyone pretty much knew what this was going to be about anyway, and I was able to pick it up pretty quickly.

Something I guess I never thought about with the original series was exactly how Jaime was able to activate her ear (and similarly, how Steve was able to activate his eye) at will. So I'm a bit intrigued about how that will play out in this version. I suppose with computer chips implanted into your cerebral cortex, it would be easier.

I was a bit disappointed not to see Jaime actually doing a vertical jump to the roof of that building, instead of climbing the fire escape. I suppose they'll show some jumping action later.

The thing I'm left wondering right now is whether Jaime and Sarah are going to be enemies, or if Jaime will somehow let Sarah teach her different things. Of course, the fact that Sarah shot Will would make you think Sarah's intentions are less than amicable. But I guess we'll have to see.

All in all, it held my attention enough to make me want to tune in for some more episodes to see where they go with this.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:19 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,683,442 times
I liked it, but it's too soon to tell whether or not it'll be a good program or not.

Sarah's the woman who played Starbuck on the new Battlestar Galactica series on the SCI-FI channel. Now we know why she missed the last four or five episodes, she was probably filming this new TV series.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:00 AM

238 posts, read 554,942 times
Michelle Ryan is the Bionic Woman, she's fantastic. she played in Eastenders, a top British soap. believe me she was good. x

Old 09-27-2007, 01:40 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,852,573 times
Oh, it was so tragic....

That woman who played Sarah can't act to save her life. Just flat. I can only assume she was trying to play the character flat like some of the Matrix film characters, but it was painful. The writing was just so weak...dialogue made so many of the characters look really one-dimensional. OK...Jaime is pissed...I get it...now can we see another emotion please?

Maybe I'm jaded from growing up with Six Million Dollar Man (and I'm sure that wasn't great acting at the time of course), but this just seemed really bad...

Old 10-15-2012, 08:37 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,053,021 times
The show was a flop. The original 1970s bionic woman was much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV