Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2023, 11:45 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Homicide: Life on the Street
Pendleton (Andre Braugher) with the guy under the train. Excrutiating, stressful, but I felt it gave a pretty accurate picture of what 'cops' go through (he was a detective in this series) in some of the most extreme circumstances. Yes, I cried.
The entire series was exceptional.
YES IT WAS. I only watched it a couple of years ago on DVD, the whole thing, because I was with someone who said it was the best cop series ever on TV. He was not wrong. I always got chills in the opening credits with the grainy black and white film and the staticky "Talk to me!" coming over the radio.

That episode was something. The guy under the train was Vincent D'Onofrio.

Another one I found moving was when the dead cop was not entitled to the honor guard funeral because of something he had done, and the other cops were walking down the street following his hearse to the cemetery. Pendleton did not join them, but as the funeral procession passes, he is standing out there alone in his dress blues at attention and salutes the hearse as it rolls by.

Old 02-05-2023, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandorrei View Post
All In The Family - Archie invites a friend for dinner - friend's son was killed in Viet Nam - Mike also invites a friend for dinner - a draft dodger who fled to Canada - Archie worried about the two friends eating together - in the end - Father forgives draft dodger because that's what his son would have done.
Another All in the Family that stuck with me. Edith's cousin dies and had no children, so she goes to the house where she lived with another woman to take back the heirloom silver tea set that belonged in her family so it would stay in the family.

The "roommate" tells Edith that she does not want to give her the tea set, because she and Edith's cousin drank tea from it together every night. In her bumbling way, Edith realizes that her cousin was a lesbian and that this woman was her lover and is deeply grieving. She tells her to keep the tea set.

Archie is waiting for her, and asks why she doesn't have the tea set, and Edith explains. Archie yells at her that this is terrible, that it's against God, and Edith looks at him and says, "Then let God handle it, Archie".

Old 02-05-2023, 01:45 PM

8,754 posts, read 5,042,001 times
General Hospital...Church scene when Sonny opens the church door and Brenda is standing there in the rain and Sonny realizes that she is alive....with Amazing Grace being played....all being played slow motion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2023, 02:00 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Another All in the Family that stuck with me. Edith's cousin dies and had no children, so she goes to the house where she lived with another woman to take back the heirloom silver tea set that belonged in her family so it would stay in the family.

The "roommate" tells Edith that she does not want to give her the tea set, because she and Edith's cousin drank tea from it together every night. In her bumbling way, Edith realizes that her cousin was a lesbian and that this woman was her lover and is deeply grieving. She tells her to keep the tea set.

Archie is waiting for her, and asks why she doesn't have the tea set, and Edith explains. Archie yells at her that this is terrible, that it's against God, and Edith looks at him and says, "Then let God handle it, Archie".
All In the Family was a great show. Many thought provoking, yet funny, episodes.

Not sure if you know, but the show was based on a British sitcom, Till Death Us Do Part.

Old 02-05-2023, 02:03 PM

6,391 posts, read 4,896,864 times
The Original Star Trek: The Empath

Old 02-05-2023, 02:11 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
I have many shows that have a favourite episode, but one American show, Fraser is what I'll start with.

It's the episode where Fraser's father has a bear sculpture with a clock in it's stomach. To Fraser and Niles, the thing is the epitome of bad taste. It was an heirloom the father explains. They are even more horrified when the father wants to take it on the US version of The Antiques Roadshow.

They decide to go along, to hopefully prevent disaster. The shot has the father being interviewed by the expert. You see only the father ( maybe the expert as well, don't remember ). As the expert explains that this piece is from the Russian Imperial family and worth a lot, slowly you see Fraser and Niles coming into the shot, looking pleased. Their snobbery and hypocritical stance on display. NOW they like it and want the world to know they are descended for Russian Royalty.

As the story unfolds, it's found out that the piece was stolen. The Russians want it back. Not only was it stolen, but it was stolen by a maid...their ancestor. Not Royal at all. She was also sleeping around a lot.

The show ends with Fraser and Niles sitting on Fraser's couch, with them bemoaning ( paraphrasing here ). " One moment we were descended from Russian Nobility, only to find out, we're descended from thieves and whores".

Like a lot of us! LOL

Old 02-05-2023, 04:16 PM

8,067 posts, read 4,741,997 times
When The Carol Burnett Show staged their spoof of Gone With the Wind.

Everyone remembers the...unique costuming choices ("I saw it in the window and just couldn't resist"), but another favorite choice had to be guest star Dinah Shore playing "Melody" as a riff on Shore's well-known, sunny-sweet persona. She even blew a kiss to everyone and said "Bye, Y'all!" as she died on the stairs.

Old 02-05-2023, 04:37 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Hill Street Blues when Lieutenant Buntz refuses to be terrorized when he was held hostage and fighting his way out.

Star Trek DS9, In the Pale Moonlight and our protagonist Captain Sisko is okay with the assassination of a then neutral Romulan Senator to bring that nation into the war.

Picket Fences a Christmas episode where cows were being used to gestate human babies. The aborted crossover with the X-Files which had a story linked to nearby cows the hour before on another network.

Old 02-05-2023, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
All In the Family was a great show. Many thought provoking, yet funny, episodes.

Not sure if you know, but the show was based on a British sitcom, Till Death Us Do Part.
Yes, I did. I never saw it, though.

Sanford and Son was also based on the Brit show Steptoe and Son.

Another Brit import turned into an American version was The Office. I watched the Ricky Gervais version two years ago while my sister was touch-and-go in the hospital with COVID and I was cleaning out my late mother's house. I would get home, exhausted, and put it on and laugh until I cried. The insane hilarity of "When disabled people come in wheelchairs to apply for benefits, they should stick them in the legs with pins to see if they are faking and if they don't react, here's your check" was a good antidote for crushing stress.

Old 02-09-2023, 07:47 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
I don't watch a lot of sitcoms and never did but the episode of Last Man Standing, in the first season. called Grandparent's Day is unforgettably funny to me. This is the episode where Mike and Vanessa go to Boyd's pre-school and Mike gets Boyd thrown out of the school, and has to take him to work with him, because Mike insulted the teacher. They even got the perfectly funny actor to play the teacher. Sold me on the 1st six seasons of the show.

My favorite drama was Justified and my favorite episode in that show was Decoy in Season 4, episode 11 because of tension, conflict, physical action and getting the whole US Marshal cast involved. That would be the episode where Raylan, Rachel and their prisoner Shelby/Drew Thompson are hiding out in the high school until they can get Drew out of Harlan. Art, Tim and Nelson are the decoy contingent stopped by an IED in a vehicle on the side of the road that they have to blow up, to pass, while a sniper and one of Boyd's crew, Colt, are up on a hill waiting to take a shot at them to get Shelby/Drew. Constable Bob is getting the you know what beaten out of him at Arlo's former house, but still manages to stab the beat down guy (YOLO) sent by Nicky Augustine. And Boyd, Ava and Johnny Crowder figure out where the prisoner is hiding and Boyd and Picker, sent by Augustine, head to the high school. I give that episode 5 stars for being so darn exciting and keeping it up for that whole episode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV