Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 09:52 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
There is one thing that must be unequivocally stated about (and between) mexicans and Puerto Ricans:

we are either having great fights. . .or making great love!

I will say no more!
This applies to all Hispanics though lol! Shoot this describes my wife and I, we're just passionate people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 05:29 AM
mym

706 posts, read 1,171,093 times
the only place that bad blood exists is in spanish harlem.

the island is nothing like that.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:24 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,895,539 times
I have never heard of any problems with mexicans in PR.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:37 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie of Oldsmar View Post
I have never heard of any problems with mexicans in PR.
Neither have I. Most of the animosity that exists between different Hispanic groups is on the U.S. mainland, doesn't really exist in PR.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:14 AM

80 posts, read 448,622 times
It all depends on what type of people your husband is involving himself with. Ignorant people will display ignorant behavior, educated people will not (usually). I hear more discrimination directed toward dominicanos more than any other, especially since they are coming to the island in mass for better employment. Many of the taxistas are from the Dominican Republic. Since the unemployment rate is so high here in Puerto Rico, this is probably the cause and reason behind the discrimination against persons from DR. And, from what I have been told, some Dominicans arrive very poor, also not looked upon favorably.

However, any degree of discrimination shows a level of ignorance and a lack of perspective. I have found Puerto Rico to be one of the most diverse places with more acceptance and genuinely friendly people than any other place. It is a beautifully diverse and friendly island. I think your husband will realize how friendly everyone is once he actually arrives. What do you plan to do wile you are here?

Last edited by La Boricua Rosa; 03-31-2012 at 11:24 AM..

Old 03-31-2012, 12:00 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,656 times
Puerto Ricans and Mexicans definitley have bad blood, but oddly enough mix alot. Maybe it's the fact that they both have some of the strongest pride I've seen in nationalites that they just crash. As long as your husband doesn't rub his nationality in Puerto Rican's faces too much he should be fine.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:43 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
Puerto Ricans and Mexicans definitley have bad blood, but oddly enough mix alot. Maybe it's the fact that they both have some of the strongest pride I've seen in nationalites that they just crash. As long as your husband doesn't rub his nationality in Puerto Rican's faces too much he should be fine.
No, maybe in Chicago, but definitely not in Puerto Rico. Two different worlds. There's only a few Mexicans living in PR anyways, it's mostly Dominicans that move to PR (legally and illegally) from Latin America

Old 03-31-2012, 02:55 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,396,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
I completely agree! Truthfully, I have only come across no more than a handful of mexicans while in Puerto Rico. Some I met a long time ago and they were very much Puerto Rican-ized.

About 4 years ago I met a mexican couple during a group hike in El Yunque. They resided on the island. They were OK, but one of the talkative wife's comments did not go over very well with the group. She said, "aqui estamos y de aqui no nos vamos;" translation: "we are here and we are not leaving." That was arrogant and stand-offish. People just sort of ignored them thereafter.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:40 PM

7 posts, read 33,683 times
I've never heard anything like "bad blood" before and I've lived in Puerto Rico since I was born (currently live in Puerto Rico).
The only thing he will face is people giving him weird looks because of his accent. It sounds different to us, obviously, and it's not common to hear it. I still think it's wrong to do that, disrespectful.

No, no one will threatening him for being Mexican. Yes, he is safe to live and work here. Often immigrants work harder and do better than Puerto Ricans living in PR.

Good luck!

My fiance is Mexican

Last edited by Janisse; 05-09-2012 at 04:00 PM..

Old 05-19-2012, 10:17 PM

14 posts, read 39,557 times
I am 100% Mexican and have been living here in Puerto Rico for exactly 1 year. I am originally from Southern California and prior to moving here I had the same "bad blood" concern, especially for my kids... But I must say, although I really miss home, food and my people, there are a lot of good people here. In fact, I have made some really good friends and the best part about it is they teach my the PR dialect and I teach them the Mexican dialect!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories