U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-10-2014, 06:10 AM
 
473 posts, read 669,692 times
Reputation: 402

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mym View Post
i'd like a pr citizenship that allows me to live in pr only. as opposed to us citizenship

So you want to live in the United States, but renounce US Citizenship?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-10-2014, 06:45 AM
 
1,181 posts, read 2,679,898 times
Reputation: 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by mym View Post
i'd like a pr citizenship that allows me to live in pr only. as opposed to us citizenship
Ignorance is not a good thing! You CANNOT, repeat CANNOT get PR citizenship. Puerto Rico is PART of the UNITED STATES!

Got it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2014, 06:52 AM
 
506 posts, read 905,525 times
Reputation: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by skelaki View Post
Ignorance is not a good thing! You CANNOT, repeat CANNOT get PR citizenship. Puerto Rico is PART of the UNITED STATES!

Got it?

No, Puerto Rico BELONGS TO THE UNITED STATES , but it's NOT PART OF THE UNITED STATES according to supreme Court rulings.

Figure that one out!!!!!

To quote: "Ignorance is not a good thing".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2014, 08:03 AM
 
Location: On a Long Island in NY
7,732 posts, read 8,770,833 times
Reputation: 7139
Quote:
Originally Posted by clip314 View Post
No, Puerto Rico BELONGS TO THE UNITED STATES , but it's NOT PART OF THE UNITED STATES according to supreme Court rulings.

Figure that one out!!!!!

To quote: "Ignorance is not a good thing".
The US Supreme Court ruled in Mora vs Mejias (1953) that while Puerto Rico is not a state of the Union in an official sense it is an integral part of the United States.

Also Harris vs Rosario (1980) ruled that Puerto Rico had attained a status "greater than that of a mere territory". Rodriguez vs PDP (1982) the Court defined Puerto Rico as "an autonomous political body, which like the States of the Union, is sovereign over matters not specifically delegated to the Federal government".

I suggest you check out Hernandez Colon's new book, he goes into detail why Puerto Rico is part of the US rather than belonging to the US ... although it is not legally a state of the Union.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2014, 08:49 AM
mym
 
597 posts, read 853,891 times
Reputation: 691
i want to be able to live in puerto rico without having to take on the citizenship of some other foreign nation i have nothing to do with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2014, 10:28 AM
 
Location: St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
24,671 posts, read 60,615,256 times
Reputation: 26569
Quote:
Originally Posted by mym View Post
i want to be able to live in puerto rico without having to take on the citizenship of some other foreign nation i have nothing to do with.
Obviously you're a US citizen (or are an illegal alien), have lived in PR, NYC and TX (and maybe other states) so why are you throwing out these daft statements and questions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2014, 11:00 AM
 
Location: On a Long Island in NY
7,732 posts, read 8,770,833 times
Reputation: 7139
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Obviously you're a US citizen (or are an illegal alien), have lived in PR, NYC and TX (and maybe other states) so why are you throwing out these daft statements and questions?
Becuase he/she is another separatist stuck in the 1930s who cannot comprehend or understand the realities of 2014.

The simple reality: the vast majority of Puerto Ricans do not want separation from the United States. At this point in time, after all these years Puerto Rico is permanently linked to the United States. Puerto Ricans are never going to give up US citizenship for some separatist fairy tale. Accept it, deal with it, get over it, and move on. Drop the romanticism.

Quote:
The advancement of our political aspirations and the improvement of our relationship with the United States must tread the path of reality. History teaches us that it is a task for pragmatists, not for romantics. The successes of Muñoz Rivera and Muñoz Marín bear this out. Our current romantics would be well advised to heed Muñoz Rivera’s words: “The expansion of our autonomy must be conceived within reality and not based upon sterile romanticism"
Excellent quote from Rafael Hernandez Colon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2014, 03:26 PM
 
506 posts, read 905,525 times
Reputation: 475
Hernandez Colon or any other Puerto Rican of our crooked political class can say what they wish. The Supreme Court has ruled over and over again that we are a territory ruled exclusively by Congress and we BELONG to the U.S. but are not part of the U.S. When and if we become a state we are then Part of the U.S. Its as simple as that. Sorry to burst your bubble WIHS2006.

We haven't become a state not because the Commonwealth party is a nuisance, or impedes Congress from acting, its because the U.S. congress refuses to back a plebiscite that will be binding. Why?

Everyone in Washington knows that if given a choice between Statehood and Independence, statehood will win by a landslide. Its as if the Gringos don't already know the out come.

And worse, now that the CBO study has proven that a Puerto Rican state will get billions more in welfare thus wrecking an already fragile Federal treasury, why should Congress inherit this mess?

Another point, How are statehooders going to sell this to Congress? If I were a statehooder I would keep away from Congress.

Bottom line, Solving the status problem doesn't depend solely on us like the statehooders want us all to believe. Statehood will surely win any plebiscite! Why? A Puerto Rican state will be swimming in American tax payer dollars. If 60% are on some sort of hand out now, wait till Statehood comes, it might even be 95%.

Now WIHS2006, will Congress give us give us more political power than 26 American states because we will all vote for it? Wake up and smell the coffee. That's not how the strongest nation on this planet operates.

There will be negotiations and I doubt statehood will be the outcome even though 100% of Ricans may want it. Americas will look out for their interests, not ours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2014, 02:17 AM
mym
 
597 posts, read 853,891 times
Reputation: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Obviously you're a US citizen (or are an illegal alien), have lived in PR, NYC and TX (and maybe other states) so why are you throwing out these daft statements and questions?
we have different viewpoints. it might be hard to see things from my perspective if you assume i am like you. i am not a us citizen or an illegal alien. i have a european union passport from a nation where i lived for 6 years from my birth. my entire childhood after that and early adulthood until after college was spent in puerto rico. you can imagine therefore that my heart belongs to Puerto Rico, not the US, a nation that i was totally unfamiliar with all my childhood, or my birth country that i also barely knew.

and now when i return to visit puerto rico, maybe becuase i was raised by jibaros for too long, i dont feel like having to ask the united states for permission. it's unmanly - its not a political thing - its a pride thing.

statehood is for people from new jersey not for the proud, the few, the boricuas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2014, 05:52 AM
 
473 posts, read 669,692 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by mym View Post
we have different viewpoints. it might be hard to see things from my perspective if you assume i am like you. i am not a us citizen or an illegal alien. i have a european union passport from a nation where i lived for 6 years from my birth. my entire childhood after that and early adulthood until after college was spent in puerto rico. you can imagine therefore that my heart belongs to Puerto Rico, not the US, a nation that i was totally unfamiliar with all my childhood, or my birth country that i also barely knew.

and now when i return to visit puerto rico, maybe becuase i was raised by jibaros for too long, i dont feel like having to ask the united states for permission. it's unmanly - its not a political thing - its a pride thing.

statehood is for people from new jersey not for the proud, the few, the boricuas

Well sadly, you don't have much say in the matter. Want to live in PR? Have to get US permission. That is the way the cookie crumbles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top