Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 08:13 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,702,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERCHIC View Post
guess american schools forgot to teach there students about PR and Guam...
Mainly schools from the south and west coast appears to not be teaching schools about PR and Guam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 04:04 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
These places are American soil populated by American citizens. They are integral components of the United States federal union. We should stop pretending that these places don't exist and embrace them as part of our nation.

I really don't understand why it's so complicated. Other countries like France, Denmark, and the Netherlands have fully integrated their territories into the nation so why can't we? If David Cameron moves ahead with his plans for a "more inclusive style of government" (aka integration into the United Kingdom) for the British territories then this will leave the United States as the world's last remaining colonial power ... do we really want this title?

Old 03-05-2012, 04:33 AM

1 posts, read 2,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Lamb View Post
so, for an American Citizen with a U.S. Passport, and a social security card...it would be possible to simply move to Puerto Rico and simply work? I am very interested in this. Please only serious and honest answers reply to [email]childofgod@gmx.com[/email]

You dont even need a U.S. Passport to go to, live or work in Puerto Rico if you're a US citizen or US resident. It's the same process as working anywhere in the US as Puerot Rico is part of the US. Just to make it more understandable-ALL Puertoricans are born US citizens and have the same documents that any born US citizens would have such as a SS Card and US Passport. Therefore, it's as easy as applying for a job any company in any state. I think you should make a visit to Puerto Rico first before making a decision to move there for work. You don't even need a passport to fly there if you're an American citizen.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:54 PM

3 posts, read 21,858 times
Default Puerto Rican Citizenship

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayareacleaner View Post
Hello Every one!!

I live in Canada and I'm just a legal canadian resident, I would like to move and live in Puerto rico,

What do I need to become a legal Puerto Rican citizen to live and work there?
This is a very thorny issue but contrary to popular ignorance, Puerto Rican Citizenship does indeed exist and is separate from Amerikan Citizenship. To qualify, you must be either...

a. Born in Puerto Rico.

...or...

b. One of your parents must have been born in Puerto Rico.

One only needs to do a quick search on "Puerto Rican Citizenship" at Wikipedia.com to read all the facts, arguments, points and counterpoints.

Puerto Rico culturally is a Nation unto itself.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:18 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agueybana Borikenlibre View Post
This is a very thorny issue but contrary to popular ignorance, Puerto Rican Citizenship does indeed exist and is separate from Amerikan Citizenship. To qualify, you must be either...

a. Born in Puerto Rico.

...or...

b. One of your parents must have been born in Puerto Rico.

One only needs to do a quick search on "Puerto Rican Citizenship" at Wikipedia.com to read all the facts, arguments, points and counterpoints.

Puerto Rico culturally is a Nation unto itself.
Which is mildly interesting academically but has no bearing on the poster to whom you're responding. Even if he fulfilled the criteria for establishing PR citizenship this would in no way afford him any legal immigration status.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:37 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
The only benefit I see of having Puerto Rican citizenship, is that it would help your case for Spanish citizenship (ergo, with Spain and EU) after 2 years residence. Even then, this is only available for those born in Puerto Rico anyway. There is no Puerto Rican passport, so Puerto Rican citizenship offers no legal benefits, and is merely symbolic

Old 06-09-2014, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,038 times
I'm an American citizen, so does that mean I can just move to Puerto Rico without a green card?

Old 06-09-2014, 02:46 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr33trunx View Post
I'm an American citizen, so does that mean I can just move to Puerto Rico without a green card?
That's correct.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:49 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,127,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr33trunx View Post
Do they teach US History or Geography any more. PR is NOT a country. It is a US Territory, meaning that as a US Citizen, if you want to move and live there you can. You do not need a "Green Car," Visa or passport.

BTW you can also move the the US Virgin Islands and other territories.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:51 AM
mym

706 posts, read 1,171,093 times
i'd like a pr citizenship that allows me to live in pr only. as opposed to us citizenship
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories