Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 10:09 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,083,682 times

Advertisements

Type in the statute numbers to go with the decision. I want to see if this is some change to the law that is very recent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 12:23 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
This is still on the NJ website:
Quote:
Requirements for Payment
Quit

If you voluntarily quit your job without "good cause connected with the work," or if you voluntarily retire, you may be disqualified for benefits. "Good cause connected with the work," means that your reason for leaving must be directly related to your job and be so compelling that you had no choice but to leave the job. For example, a person quits work to move out of the area. While this is a good personal reason to quit, the reason for quitting is not connected with the work and the person would be disqualified.

There are exceptions to this disqualification. One exception may apply when the separation was related to or due to domestic violence. Another exception may apply when a spouse or civil union partner of an active military member leaves work to move with the military member who is transferred outside of the state.

If you quit your job, or if you voluntarily retire, you will be scheduled for a claims examiner interview. The examiner may request certain documentation as supporting evidence of your separation. The examiner will determine if you are entitled to benefits based on unemployment insurance laws and regulations.

To remove a disqualification for voluntary leaving, you must return to work for at least 8 weeks, earn at least 10 times your weekly benefit rate, and then become unemployed through no fault of your own. The new work must be in employment covered under the unemployment compensation law.

Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Requirements for Payment<br>Quit
We've had plenty of people post here on the 8-week issue, some very recently (within past few months). Quitting for an equal or better job - even if you begin immediately - has not overridden the 8-week requirement. Or, perhaps NJ is not applying this rule as stringently - or, it may be OP got lucky with the interviewer.

If employer doesn't contest, this may never be examined. Cross your fingers.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:38 PM

I've only ever seen the "7 day" language from an OH decision. There is always the possibility that the worker handling your claim worked for UI in OH, and moved to NJ, and thinks all the states have the same rules.

http://workforcesecurity.doleta.gov/...onmonetary.pdf from page 5-4 footnote 5. You'll see the "7 day" wording for OH. It's the only state that has the wording that was used in your decision. That's why I thought maybe you were working in OH at one point, and maybe moved to NJ recently.

Last edited by Chyvan; 03-07-2016 at 12:50 PM..

Old 09-21-2017, 07:06 AM

4 posts, read 2,532 times
Hi everyone. I am basically in the same boat as the original poster. I quit my job for another only to be let go 1 month into the new employment. I have read that if you begin the new employment within 7 days and are working at least the same hours and earning the same or more money you can be eligible for unemployment benefits in New Jersey. Has anyone else received unemployment benefits under these circumstances? I have my interview with the examiner on Tuesday and I'm a nervous wreck.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:17 AM

Default Quit job for a better one

Hello everyone. I'm wondering if anyone else has received unemployment benefits in NJ after quitting your job for a better one then getting laid off before the 8 week rule applies. I read that if you begin your new job within 7 days and are making at least as much money and working at least the same amount of hours you can become eligible for benefits in New Jersey. I can prove that I had promise of employment and started my new job within 2 days. If anyone received benefits under these circumstances please advise.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaseowen View Post
I read that if you begin your new job within 7 days and are making at least as much money and working at least the same amount of hours you can become eligible for benefits in New Jersey.
This thread is the only person we know of that got benefits for this reason, and we don't know if she got to keep them in the long run. As far as I know, this was an aberration, and you should not count on it.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:46 AM

That's what I figured. It actually talks about the 7 day rule on the LSNJLAW website but I wasn't sure if this is accurate information. I'll let everyone know the outcome if I happen to get lucky and get approved for benefits.

Old 09-29-2017, 12:43 PM

I just wanted to update everyone who may be in the same boat as me and the OP. I have been APPROVED for benefits for the same reason as quoted earlier. If you quit your job to take another one then get let go from the new job prior to the 8 weeks NJ requires you can still be eligible. You must begin your new job within 7 days and worked at least the same amount of hours and earned at least the same pay. Good luck!

Old 09-29-2017, 01:20 PM

This is wonderful news. We'll start working with this new pattern and adding in the extra criteria to exempt claimants from the 8 and 10 requirement. Up until now, we didn't know any better because this was the first we'd ever heard of it. We try to be good about this stuff, but if the rules change, and it's not documented or hard to find, then we can't help people. You've been a big help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment