Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 01:08 PM

496 posts, read 942,467 times

Advertisements

Awww, TVSG. I hope you're doing it to point out all the ignorance that revolves through the universe. "Little do they know... what they missed out on..."

I had a writer friend in school who kept all of her publication rejections for her own amusement. She smiled at them, cussed at them, laughed, and snorted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 01:11 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,099,062 times
TV Guy, get rid of them (my opinion). Keep things that make you feel good about yourself, not rejections.

Shred them when you get them and look forward. Keep a file of nice things people have said or say about you when you want cheering up!!

Old 05-01-2009, 01:25 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,126,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazejen View Post
Awww, TVSG. I hope you're doing it to point out all the ignorance that revolves through the universe. "Little do they know... what they missed out on..."

I had a writer friend in school who kept all of her publication rejections for her own amusement. She smiled at them, cussed at them, laughed, and snorted.

Yeah that's why I'm doing so I can laugh at them in the future. I'm not qualified to throw them away right now.-lol

Old 05-01-2009, 01:27 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
TV Guy, get rid of them (my opinion). Keep things that make you feel good about yourself, not rejections.

Shred them when you get them and look forward. Keep a file of nice things people have said or say about you when you want cheering up!!

I have them stored away and planned on looking at all of them one last time before I threw them away once I get hired

Old 05-01-2009, 01:43 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,849,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I have them stored away and planned on looking at all of them one last time before I threw them away once I get hired
That's good. I would love to discard all the, Thank you for applying emails, we've decided to go another direction.
or There has been a change of plans. They use any wording that comes up, and I have been in small mom & pop company's, people swear to me, We are going to let everyone that came in for an interview know, one way or the other, by next Monday thru Friday, whether they got the job or not, via a phone call, personally, since they have spent their time and gas to come all the way here and interview. Still waiting for those calls,... But you know what, don't mean a damn thing to me, it ain't personal. It's their lack of professionalism, and the fact that if they couldn't do it, they shouldn't have said it. People like that only degrade and disrepute their business, and believe me, word of mouth is bad advertisement for some of these businesses. Too me, that kind of stuff, their un-professionalism isn't personally an attack, just a poor work ethic, so I remember how they handle their business. Their loss.
Keep up the good work, or, the good look for work.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:31 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,136,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Man, that's like looking at pictures of old girlfriends and beating yourself up.

Great quote! ;-)

Old 05-02-2009, 06:07 AM

Yes, Why not go for it!! You will not be at too much at a disadvantage from the people that are just graduating.

One of my sisters has a masters in ed, with a special ed certification. She worked as a TSA.

Maybe you could start something in June. If i remember correctly, she did her student teaching during the summer months.

She became a teacher this past September and loves her school. (It is very important to get a good principal. They can make your life wonderful or miserable!)

Also, I don't know if this would apply to you, but you might want to find out if you are eligible for the return to work tuition vouchers?

again good luck!

p.s. She complains that her TSA's and Classroom assistants don't have knowledge or training of how the reward system works, so you acutally have knowledge that will make you valuable in a classroom.

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I am actually quite happy for the person because she is very nice and does well at her job (she is one of my son's teachers).
She has been wonderful for him and I admire the works she does...special ed. teaching.

I have a Masters in Elementary Ed. but due to the lack of jobs in teaching when I got my degree, I sort of drifted out of teaching because the only jobs I could get were in preschools which pay very, very badly.

Eventually I went on to customer service and office work again because they were steady gigs...

However, I am rethinking going back into it if I can get certified in my current state or the one next to me. It's sort of scary because I have not taught in a long time but if I can get a job, even as an aide, it will be a start in the right direction.

Thanks again.

Last edited by gea12345; 05-02-2009 at 06:17 AM..

Old 05-03-2009, 09:14 AM

73,139 posts, read 62,835,394 times
Quote:
I just found out someone got a job after less than 2 interviews...hardly trying (less than a few weeks). I am so frustrated.

I just broke down and cried and had a bit fight w/my husband...

I really can't stand everyone else getting jobs but me. I usually get pretty upset...stupid...I mean I am happy for this person (I wrote her a wonderful reference letter) but still....

How do you guys handle the 'rejection?'
I often feel very angry and jealous because I wonder "Why doesn't anyone want to hire me. What did I do wrong?" Sometimes other thoughts that go through my head are "I need money and no one cares."

Old 05-03-2009, 12:11 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I often feel very angry and jealous because I wonder "Why doesn't anyone want to hire me. What did I do wrong?" Sometimes other thoughts that go through my head are "I need money and no one cares."

That's why it's important not to give off the vibe on interviews that you NEED MONEY. I don't recommend calling after a job interview to follow up especially when you are unemployed. As a unemployed person the last thing you want to do is give off the vibe that "I'm only here because I need money"

Old 05-03-2009, 12:18 PM

Or you can wait ten days and give a follow-up call letting them know you are still interested. Just don't call the very next day. Give them time to think or come to some initial decision. ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment