Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2009, 11:38 AM

870 posts, read 1,405,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
This is good stuff. I gather you are not on Direct Deposit. I think most claimants with Direct Deposit had printed certification dates on their CFB form. My SSN is even and I was supposed to certify THU 11/26 (although I claimed it TUE 11/24 online). My next certify date is THU 12/10. It's two weeks after the first so it does seem logical. I concur that any claimant getting the "you will receive credit for the weeks claimed" not payable message should spend a couple of hours on the phone trying to get through to the DOL to clear this up or spend the same couple of hours driving there and waiting and driving back. I like the phone but others prefer to go there. For me, being on hold takes less time than going there.

When certifying online, at the top of the confirmation it reads:
Your claim for unemployment insurance has been accepted. A check will be mailed to you on our next business day. There is also a confirmation number which phone claimants do not receive. There is also "Date of Check". This is the date you certified and this will be the date printed on the check.

When certifying by phone, you also want to hear at the end:
Your claim for unemployment insurance has been accepted. A check will be mailed to you on our next business day.

When hearing "you will receive credit for the weeks claimed" it is probably one of 49,000 glitches or going past the anniversary of the original claim as they also use that message after the first year ends.

One thing that has always been consistent with the NJDOL for me,
I have always received payment after hearing (or reading) "A check will be mailed to you on our next business day."
I have never received payment after hearing (or reading) "you will receive credit for the weeks claimed" UNTIL I TALKED TO AN AGENT.

Good thorough follow up on my post. Good job in reinforcing each other.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:41 AM

9 posts, read 26,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
What does BENEFITS EXHAUSTED mean?

When you are at the final "claim for weeks ending" for the current tier you are in. For example:

Tier I 20th week
Tier II 14th week
Tier III 13th week

Your benefits MUST be exhausted in order to qualify for the next tier. The next tier is automatic filed for you.

From the NJDOL (http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/ui/content/UIExtendedBenefitProgram.html#4 - broken link) regarding eligibility for Tier III
Individuals must qualify for the EUC program and exhaust all EUC Tier 2 benefits.

Before the new legislation we had 13 weeks of Tier II and then they added the 14th week so Tier II would have to exhaust after the 14th week. They then file Tier III for you automatically. We will probably see this again when Tier III ends.
Hi - my benefits were not exhausted on tier ll, I still have a 5400.00 balance. 2 weeks ago I was sent the blue EUC form and stated the EUC tier lll & 14th week of tier ll. Today was my day to certify. I went online and certified and all went thru. It also showed a higher balance than the previous tier ll. So I am not understanding why NJDOL has that posted when I am sitting here looking at the beige form showing my balance on tier ll. I hope I am making sense. Either that or I am just missing something. And just to clarify - I have been keeping up with the threads - I didn't just drop in

Old 12-02-2009, 12:21 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,047,319 times
I went to unemployment today for an explanation[NJ] They told me that they DISCONTINUED EB. I was on last EB[20 weeks] still had 8 weeks to go. They said that was gone. They said I was transitioned to the new benefit - and that was the end. Where are the last 8 weeks from EB? gone they said.

I'm not really stupid --- just not getting this at all.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:38 PM

180 posts, read 452,132 times
nj185, I would try to speak to someone else at unemployment about EB. While NJ is transitioning everyone who is on EB now onto the new extension, Tier 3, EB is not discontinued and you should be able to resume EB after you finish Tier 3 and hopefully Tier 4 if/when they extend the deadlines. NJ is one of only 12 states that has a permanent provision written into its state law that the state must pay out EB when the Total Unemployment Rate hits 6.5% and higher. EB can be started in 2010. The end of the year deadline for EB is just for how EB will be funded in 2010, but EB will still be in place. Try to speak to another rep if you can because a lot of workers at unemployment really have no clue about certain matters.....

Old 12-02-2009, 12:46 PM

1,252 posts, read 3,486,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITnewbie View Post
Hi - my benefits were not exhausted on tier ll, I still have a 5400.00 balance. 2 weeks ago I was sent the blue EUC form and stated the EUC tier lll & 14th week of tier ll. Today was my day to certify. I went online and certified and all went thru. It also showed a higher balance than the previous tier ll. So I am not understanding why NJDOL has that posted when I am sitting here looking at the beige form showing my balance on tier ll. I hope I am making sense. Either that or I am just missing something. And just to clarify - I have been keeping up with the threads - I didn't just drop in
Did you have earnings to report? Fourteen weeks of Tier II at 100% of your WBR should get you to a zero balance. I hope to see more posts from people who have a balance at the end of a Tier to hear what happens and the reasons why there may be a balance. If you collect the maximum number of weeks in a Tier and have a balance at the end, what is their policy?

For example: EUC Tier 3 provides up to 13 weeks or 50% of an individual’s maximum benefit amount from their original unemployment insurance claim, whichever amount is less.

So does this mean you cannot collect for longer than 13 weeks even if there is a balance? How would you get to the "whichever amount is less" status. How should this be interpreted?

Today was your certification date so it must be for 11/21 and 11/28, correct? Were you paid for 11/14 (which was week 14 of Tier II)?

What beige form do you mean? Beige is sooooooo EB! The EUC CFB form is blue and right above the perforation of the check to the left is DOL17D. The beige EB CFB form number is BC8EBD.

Thanks for keeping up with the thread. I don't want to profile anyone for having one post. There was a time when I had one post too. More people lurk than post and many people lurk way before they ever start posting so a low post count is not an indicator of laziness or failure to use the search function.

Unfortunately there are a few "one-post-wonders" or "hit & runners" who have obviously not gone to the UI website or searched through the thread before posting and it is very evident by the questions they ask. Yes, we CAN tell.

ITnewbie, please let us know the outcome of your situation and spread good unemployment karma around.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:47 PM

9 posts, read 26,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESHambone View Post
nj185, I would try to speak to someone else at unemployment about EB. While NJ is transitioning everyone who is on EB now onto the new extension, Tier 3, EB is not discontinued and you should be able to resume EB after you finish Tier 3 and hopefully Tier 4 if/when they extend the deadlines. NJ is one of only 12 states that has a permanent provision written into its state law that the state must pay out EB when the Total Unemployment Rate hits 6.5% and higher. EB can be started in 2010. The end of the year deadline for EB is just for how EB will be funded in 2010, but EB will still be in place. Try to speak to another rep if you can because a lot of workers at unemployment really have no clue about certain matters.....

From what I had read about tier lll and tier ll etc. Is that when tier lll is exhausted then tier llll will kick in and when that is exhausted then the EB (whatever remaining balance) will be available. I am sorry I do not remember which gov't website I read this on so I can't give the link to it Anyway, I hope everyone gets their checks. I would also add that DD is the BEST way to go.....you never have to rely on the mailman.....48hrs after you claim online it is in the bank. I hope I was somewhat helpful!

Old 12-02-2009, 12:57 PM

1,252 posts, read 3,486,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESHambone View Post
Try to speak to another rep if you can because a lot of workers at unemployment really have no clue about certain matters.....
A lot of us here know more than they do. I spoke to no less than three agents on three separate days to re-open my claim after my 1-year anniversary in January. The first agent said she re-opened my claim, the second agent said the first agent didn't do it right and the third agent said the second agent didn't do it right. Third time's a charm they say!

Old 12-02-2009, 01:06 PM

870 posts, read 1,405,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj185 View Post
I went to unemployment today for an explanation[NJ] They told me that they DISCONTINUED EB. I was on last EB[20 weeks] still had 8 weeks to go. They said that was gone. They said I was transitioned to the new benefit - and that was the end. Where are the last 8 weeks from EB? gone they said.

I'm not really stupid --- just not getting this at all.

From what I understand, if you would have kept your 8 wks you would have gone past 2009 and into 2010 and therefore not qualified for EUC (the new extension). Those that qualify for the new extension had to have had there other extensions exhaust by Dec 19th. If that is correct than by you going right into EUC that may have extended your benefits a bit more.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:13 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,047,319 times
ESHambone - thanks - she was busy lecturing me on finding a job & not worrying about when benefits run out & how lucky I was not to have to fill out the brown form any more. I like to be prepared, not escape looking for a job which I do without them telling me to, and want to know where I and my family stand.

I can find no NJDOL website which explains this & good luck getting thru on the phone.

So, if I understand, I now have 13 weeks Tier III + 1 week extra tier II. My balance B4 switch was 8 weeks EB. {what happened to the other 6 weeks Tier III for states with >8.5 unemp?}

Those 8 weeks should become available to me again once Tier III is exhausted, IF that is B4 -- May 2010? IF feds extend funding to 2010?

I wish the state would clarify this and write it down somewhere.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:21 PM

180 posts, read 452,132 times
nj185, check this link/page out as it answers a lot of questions:
Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Unemployment Benefit Extensions (http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/ui/content/UIExtendedBenefitProgram.html - broken link)
Btw, the extra 6 weeks (Tier 4) cannot be started in 2010 unless Congress extends the deadline. You would have to exhaust Tier 3 by benefit week ending Dec. 26th in order to start Tier 4 and there is no way to do this. This glitch is because Congress took so long to pass Bill HR 3548...They need to extend the deadline so people on Tier 3 can move onto Tier 4 in 2010....And btw, you are very welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment