Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2009, 01:33 PM

180 posts, read 452,067 times

Advertisements

wannabee, I bet the trouble that you went through with unemployment is sadly all too typical....

Old 12-02-2009, 01:37 PM

1,252 posts, read 3,485,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj185 View Post
ESHambone - thanks - she was busy lecturing me on finding a job & not worrying about when benefits run out & how lucky I was not to have to fill out the brown form any more. I like to be prepared, not escape looking for a job which I do without them telling me to, and want to know where I and my family stand.

I can find no NJDOL website which explains this & good luck getting thru on the phone.

So, if I understand, I now have 13 weeks Tier III + 1 week extra tier II. My balance B4 switch was 8 weeks EB. {what happened to the other 6 weeks Tier III for states with >8.5 unemp?}

Those 8 weeks should become available to me again once Tier III is exhausted, IF that is B4 -- May 2010? IF feds extend funding to 2010?

I wish the state would clarify this and write it down somewhere.
Lecturing you? That is just so wrong and not part of their job description! The "other six weeks" is Tier IV.

lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/ui/content/UIExtendedBenefitProgram.html#6

Quote:
Once an individual exhausts their final available EUC benefits, an EB claim will be automatically filed on their behalf by the Division of Unemployment Insurance.
This is why you came off EB - there were EUC benefits available to you. If they renew the deadlines for EUC, you will get 6 weeks of Tier IV, and then finish your EB.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:38 PM

24 posts, read 52,533 times
Yes, I have read that also, that being Tier III must run out by the end of December for a claimant to be able to collect Tier IV. I wonder if it were a dragging their feet issue, though. Perhaps they wanted all to collect about 13 weeks. Math: approx. 7 weeks left before their deadline. If you have only 7 weeks left, they give you the extra 6 = 13. Otherwise, you get the 13, or 14, weeks included in the bill. I guess there could be those caught in the middle, but I wanted to put the thought out there.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESHambone View Post
wannabee, I bet the trouble that you went through with unemployment is sadly all too typical....
Sad but true. I don't get it. I have worked in customer service positions before and for the life of me I cannot understand how a CSR can be rude, not be knowledgeable, have an attitude, or make repeated mistakes without being TERMINATED for misconduct! Where does a NJDOL rep work after leaving the DOL? At the Motor Vehicle Office? Seems like it's the only place left for them. I don't picture too many former NJDOL agents at their present jobs saying "and thank you for calling American Express" if you catch my drift.

Can you imagine if the DOL sent out customer satisfaction surveys? Heads would ROLL!

Disclaimer: Some agents actually know what they are doing and are nice but there are very few of them. We do appreciate the nice ones!

Old 12-02-2009, 02:08 PM

Yes wannabee, let's salute the intelligent and friendly agents of NJ Unemployment, the few, the proud lol

Old 12-02-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Yes wannabee, let's salute the intelligent and friendly agents of NJ Unemployment, the few, the proud lol
You mean all three of them?

Old 12-02-2009, 02:12 PM

Hahaha, actually I was going to say BOTH of them! lol

Old 12-02-2009, 02:32 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,046,581 times
Thanks guys -- I'm still not clear why you all can explain it & the NJDOL reps can't seem to get their heads around it! Maybe if they keep it a secret they'll get ??? what??? more people in line?

Just frustrated - 10yrs ago took me 6 weeks to get a comparable job -- the world has changed - - -& yeah, it's scary enough out there without "secret" unemployment benes -

Thanks again --

Old 12-02-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj185 View Post
Thanks guys -- I'm still not clear why you all can explain it & the NJDOL reps can't seem to get their heads around it! Maybe if they keep it a secret they'll get ??? what??? more people in line?

Just frustrated - 10yrs ago took me 6 weeks to get a comparable job -- the world has changed - - -& yeah, it's scary enough out there without "secret" unemployment benes - Thanks again --
I hear you loud and clear. If the reps would read our thread of over 5000 posts, they might have a clue and know almost as much as we do!

Quote:
more people in line?
hahahahahahhahaha!

Old 12-02-2009, 05:01 PM

213 posts, read 769,999 times
Quote:
nj185, I would try to speak to someone else at unemployment about EB. While NJ is transitioning everyone who is on EB now onto the new extension, Tier 3, EB is not discontinued and you should be able to resume EB after you finish Tier 3 and hopefully Tier 4 if/when they extend the deadlines. NJ is one of only 12 states that has a permanent provision written into its state law that the state must pay out EB when the Total Unemployment Rate hits 6.5% and higher. EB can be started in 2010. The end of the year deadline for EB is just for how EB will be funded in 2010, but EB will still be in place. Try to speak to another rep if you can because a lot of workers at unemployment really have no clue about certain matters.....
I haven't called UE yet but that seems to have happened to me also. I had just 2 weeks of EB left (weeks ending 11/21) and when I went online to claim on 11/26, I noticed my balance had gone up! I whipped out the calculator and it came to 14 weeks so I thought, wonderful, I don't have to call about getting on the latest Tier, they have already taken care of it. Then after I did my claim, of course my balance dropped by 2 weeks to a new total of 12 weeks and I realized that they seem to have "shorted" me 2 weeks. That should have been my claim for my last 2 weeks on EB, then I should have had 14 new weeks in my balance for the Tier - or so I thought.

I understand in OP's case, the 8 weeks would have pushed OP into the new year, but my 2 weeks left would not have done so.

I got a form in the mail a few days later telling me to claim for the new Tier on the 25th (came several days later and I had already claimed on the 26th as that was my scheduled EB claim day).

So...either they made a mistake or it has nothing to do with not finishing a prior Tier or EB before the end of the year - they are just going to put you on the new tier immediately (?).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment