Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 08:18 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,994,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestEver9 View Post
Thanks diorgirl. You're just chock full of information and I love your grammatically sound sentences. By the way will you marry me? If you want to date first, I understand...
Alas, I'm already spoken for -- but were I not, your compliments about my sentence structure would be just the thing to "turn my head."

Quote:
Oh and seriously; what do you think the chances are they they'll create a Tier V or extend Tier IV? Apparently Congress is on their little high-schoolish Spring Break and talks will resume when they return. But if you had to guess, what would you say?
From the reports I am hearing, I think that Congress will first extend the eligibility cut-off dates of the four existing Tiers.

If the next round of jobless numbers continues to show improvement, I wouldn't expect to see any additions to the EUC Tier program (no additional weeks, no additional Tier) for another month or so.

But frankly, I believe that any improvement will be so minimal and so slow, that in two or more months I suspect that Congress will relent and expand the EUC Tiers, albeit modestly.

Just my opinion...

Old 04-05-2010, 08:30 AM

189 posts, read 648,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestEver9 View Post
Oh and seriously; what do you think the chances are they they'll create a Tier V or extend Tier IV? Apparently Congress is on their little high-schoolish Spring Break and talks will resume when they return. But if you had to guess, what would you say?
dont know if your current with political news or not but right now our administration would have us all believe the economy is great. here is the problem with a tier 5, we have spent a lot and i mean a lot of money on recent bail outs. for example WWII cost 4.1 T in todays dollar. we have spent well over that and our obligated for much more. now if they pass a tier 5 it wouldnt look so good, almost as if all that money was wasted (which it really was).

i wouldnt hold my breath for any more extensions or tiers. they might get HR4851 passed by end of this month. but, i just dont see anything passed that.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:07 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,994,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr6864 View Post
dont know if your current with political news or not but right now our administration would have us all believe the economy is great. here is the problem with a tier 5, we have spent a lot and i mean a lot of money on recent bail outs. for example WWII cost 4.1 T in todays dollar. we have spent well over that and our obligated for much more. now if they pass a tier 5 it wouldnt look so good, almost as if all that money was wasted (which it really was).

i wouldnt hold my breath for any more extensions or tiers. they might get HR4851 passed by end of this month. but, i just dont see anything passed that.
"Current political news"? Do you have a link to any statement saying that "the economy is great"? I am unaware of anyone from either party suggesting anything close to that.

There are hundreds of statements from the most optimistic leaders of both political parties saying that even the modest improvements we may see these days could be only short-term and are not necessarily indicative of steady longer-term positive change. But I have yet to see even one comment saying that, "the economy is great."

Old 04-05-2010, 11:39 AM

189 posts, read 648,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
"Current political news"? Do you have a link to any statement saying that "the economy is great"? I am unaware of anyone from either party suggesting anything close to that.

There are hundreds of statements from the most optimistic leaders of both political parties saying that even the modest improvements we may see these days could be only short-term and are not necessarily indicative of steady longer-term positive change. But I have yet to see even one comment saying that, "the economy is great."
Economists: U.S. economy in recovery and growth is returning - Apr. 4, 2010

U.S. Economy Predicted To Recover in 2010

Employment Situation Summary

White House Report Claims Stimulus Success—Despite 3.5 Million Job Losses | The Heritage Foundation

Profit With These Three Top Stocks For 2010 As US Government Boosts Its Involvement In The Economy | Daily Markets

Summers Says Job Creation in U.S. Will Accelerate (Update2) - BusinessWeek

UPDATE 1-White House sees economic smooth sailing through 2016 | Reuters

Politics | Things may be looking up for the economy ... right? | Seattle Times Newspaper

California's Economy Looking Up - KCBS (http://www.kcbs.com/localnews/CA-s-Economy-Looking-Up/6648080 - broken link)

2010 IT Industry Economic Outlook Looking Up — CIOUpdate.com

Rising factory output points to economy's recovery - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100401/ap_on_bi_go_ec_fi/us_economy - broken link)

U.S. Economy: Unemployment Unexpectedly Falls to 9.7% (Update3) - BusinessWeek

U.S. economy created 162K jobs in March | - NJ.com

Old 04-05-2010, 10:21 PM

870 posts, read 1,406,745 times
The 'worst' may appear to be over and even if it were.....ALL IS NOT WELL, and THAT is why we need Congress to continue to feel the outcry from the numbers of people that are experiencing that 'ALL IS NOT WELL'. Until 'ALL IS WELL' Congress needs to continue to address the hardships that continue to plague the unemployed through no fault of there own.

Last edited by knoxgarden; 04-05-2010 at 10:53 PM.. Reason: removed reference to deleted post

Old 04-05-2010, 10:54 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,685,120 times
This thread has gone far off topic and degenerated into a flame war, It is closed.
From Terms of Service:
"Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment