Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 01:08 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,656,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ina Van Down By The River View Post
After reading your recent posts I'd say you were the one with the "hostilely", maybe you have a right to be as I suppose it is hard not having a job. Best of luck to you. Obviously you are too young to remember how the military was viewed in the late 70's and early 80's, at least until we had Pres. Reagan(and later Pres. Bush) take control of things. My comments were aimed more to the left, the same ones putting their faith in Obama.
And it was 2 wars and 1 conflict(Panama Invasion), which I was honored to serve in. That's part of the job. But that's another story, another forum. Obviously the military is not for you, Mr. OhGreat, but I thought I would throw it out there for others to consider.
Nope not young at all, I could have been retired now as well if I would have thought the military was for me. Like you say its for a different forum but I hardly agree with the wars that have bankrupted this country from your good old Republicans. I don't support either party anymore and you should open your eyes to both the parties lies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 01:36 PM

139 posts, read 254,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGreat View Post
Nope not young at all, I could have been retired now as well if I would have thought the military was for me. Like you say its for a different forum but I hardly agree with the wars that have bankrupted this country from your good old Republicans. I don't support either party anymore and you should open your eyes to both the parties lies.
Trust me, I don't trust any politician, and I do understand your feelings about war and the economy. Just here to throw out the idea that the military might be a good option for some.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:44 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,046,581 times
Quote:
Well, it's not like cnn discovered anything here. Jobs are down for everybody. cnn(clinton news network) will take any shot it can to put a bad spin on our military.
CNN is not the agency who put out the report - that was the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Just sayin' - there are younger vets who are unemployed in larger proportional numbers than their civi peers. This long term unemployment plays no favorites.

This doesn't put a bad spin on anything but the economy.

Obama Bucks??? What US government do you get your retirement from?

Old 05-02-2010, 08:11 PM

Ugh, Don't tell me there isn't a need for more Tiers, I got a call just about an hour ago for a job I sent my Resume in for a month ago. It was just a pre screening thing(wasnt expecting a call like this on a Sunday Night). He told me 450 people applied for this ONE job. I guess I must have matched pretty well as obviously they are only going to call a certain few and he seemed to like my old company as he said he tried to recruit people from there and they wouldn't leave. To make a long story short what are the chances of people getting a job when its 450 applicants to 1 per job. I have no idea if I will here from them again as I was missing one quality he was concerned about as I didn't do a whole lot of offsite support and this job may have that. And I'm guessing with 450 people to chose from he will find it with someone else.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Trust me, I don't trust any politician, and I do understand your feelings about war and the economy. Just here to throw out the idea that the military might be a good option for some.
Ok Just seemed like your tone was more politically driven that's all.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:44 PM

3 posts, read 6,249 times
Edd has added information for the 99er here in California you can print out coupons from coupons.com I dont mind using coupons but will coupons pay for my rent? I also saw another one that claims they can help you get food stamps. Once again homless but food stamps in hand. So sad!

Old 05-03-2010, 06:51 PM

6 posts, read 6,881 times
I live in Mass and have been laid off for 14 months. I have 12 years in the Financial Services Industry a degree in Accounting and Finance and can't get a job here in Mass...I have not gotten a check in 3 weeks due to the just passed bill in April

Old 05-03-2010, 10:14 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,841,462 times
Quote:
He told me 450 people applied for this ONE job. I guess I must have matched pretty well as obviously they are only going to call a certain few and he seemed to like my old company as he said he tried to recruit people from there and they wouldn't leave. To make a long story short what are the chances of people getting a job when its 450 applicants to 1 per job.
Just because 450 people APPLIED, doesn't mean they all were qualified. It seems to be a growing trend for desperate unemployed to flood employers with resumes/applications even when they aren't remotely qualified for the advertised position.

All this does is make it even harder for those that are to get their resume past the starting post to even be read.

Edited to add - that said, yours was read so I'd say you are at least in with a shot at it.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Just because 450 people APPLIED, doesn't mean they all were qualified. It seems to be a growing trend for desperate unemployed to flood employers with resumes/applications even when they aren't remotely qualified for the advertised position.

All this does is make it even harder for those that are to get their resume past the starting post to even be read.

Edited to add - that said, yours was read so I'd say you are at least in with a shot at it.
This could be true and I really don't understand this practice as it is obvious it will be thrown out anyways. I havent applied for anything that I dont believe I am a good match for. Although I realize the silly EB extension rules may make this practice more prevalent.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:26 AM

139 posts, read 254,675 times
Quote:
Ok Just seemed like your tone was more politically driven that's all.
I sound that way at times. Too many years in the military made me think republican, but I've been out long enough to see the bigger picture now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment