Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 04:09 PM

357 posts, read 801,717 times

Advertisements

Good luck with that martial law thing. How many military goons or mercenaries do you think will actually show up to fight when the "money" they're being paid is worth less than toilet paper?
The American people, on the other hand, will show up to fight for FREE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 04:31 PM

100 posts, read 308,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HC475 View Post
Laziness?... BTW... Who's hiring nowadays?
I've seen plenty of jobs with the police, military, and homeland security! Are you not looking? Who else is going to protect Washington, err America from all the 'domestic terrorists' just waiting to make their move?

Old 03-25-2010, 04:36 PM

100 posts, read 308,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozlo View Post
Good luck with that martial law thing. How many military goons or mercenaries do you think will actually show up to fight when the "money" they're being paid is worth less than toilet paper?
The American people, on the other hand, will show up to fight for FREE!
You can bet that the military will do whatever it is they're told to do.

What do Americans fight for these days? Was that a joke?

Old 03-25-2010, 06:33 PM

357 posts, read 801,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coronadeluxe View Post
You can bet that the military will do whatever it is they're told to do.

What do Americans fight for these days? Was that a joke?
My comment may have sounded sarcastic, but I was actually being serious.
In order to institute full scale, hard martial law, they would have to hire mercs. They don't have the manpower nor enough people "on board" to do so. Yes, many soldiers will blindly do what they're told just as most sheep in this country will comply with whatever mandates are placed on them.

By the time they bring in the mercs, the money they pay them will be absolutely worthless. Do you really think soldiers and mercs will show up and get their butts handed to them for free? They may have the latest technology, but they're still grossly outnumbered against the millions of gun owners in this country.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:42 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,718,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozlo View Post
My comment may have sounded sarcastic, but I was actually being serious.
In order to institute full scale, hard martial law, they would have to hire mercs. They don't have the manpower nor enough people "on board" to do so. Yes, many soldiers will blindly do what they're told just as most sheep in this country will comply with whatever mandates are placed on them.

By the time they bring in the mercs, the money they pay them will be absolutely worthless. Do you really think soldiers and mercs will show up and get their butts handed to them for free? They may have the latest technology, but they're still grossly outnumbered against the millions of gun owners in this country.
Agreed and he is leaving out the people that are employed. I know a lot of employed people that are pissed off about what is happening in this country. The entire state of Texas for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronadeluxe View Post
I've seen plenty of jobs with the police, military, and homeland security! Are you not looking? Who else is going to protect Washington, err America from all the 'domestic terrorists' just waiting to make their move?
lol...

Old 03-25-2010, 09:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,383 times
Default tier 5 unemployment

I hear the pain and frustration of everyone worrying about how they are going to make it through the next several months of this recession. I believe it is time we quit using words and start taking action. No, don't worry, I am not suggesting a revolution, but I am suggesting we make our anxiety and concern and demand for solution to the job situation heard by Congress. Words, written or spoken, articulate or hateful, words are not making Congress listen. Take action.
On April 1, April Fools Day, let Congress know they are being the fools. Let them know we demand to be heard and we demand they take action, the actions necessary to keep our economy going because too many people are going off unemployment at once and the job opportunities are dismal. Let Congress know we have spoken and now we demand action. Take action.
On April Fools Day 2010, we should not spend a dime in our economy. No one go shopping, go to a movie, out to eat, grocery shopping, fill the gas tank, get their hair done, see a doctor (unless it is an emergency of course), go to their bank, etc
Do not spend one single penny on April Fools. Let's not be hateful and start using words to ridicule or for pity sake..make it violent. Please, no violence, I am not asking we take that type of action. Let's unite and take peaceful action, quick action to be heard because there is not much time left for people living one week to the next on unemployment. There is not time enough to get all these people employed expediently. Currently, there are not enough well paying jobs in our economy
Take action. Just let Congress and those saying no to the unemployed's plight, or believing the unemployed are lazy and not trying, let this action of not spending on April Fool's Day facilitate their understanding of what will happen when there is no money being spent in the economy. Unemployment benefits do not go far, but it puts something back in the economy.
Words are not working people. Hate and negativity is not working. Just declare a monetary holiday on April Fools. Don't spend any money. Then, let's ask everyone saying no if they understand why we need an unemployment stimulus of tier 5 and a federal job creation program similar to Michigan's "Leave No Worker Behind".
Action is better than words at this point, Congress is not listening or communicating clearly to us. They are making folly of a stressful and urgent problem in so many of our families.
If someone has a better idea for action, then post it. Otherwise, declare April Fools Day 2010 a national holiday of voice and action. Tell Congress to quit making folly of our lives. We are not fools and we hired them to help us take care of our families. Make this not a joke, but a reality, so Congress understands we want our problems addressed without games and folly.
God Bless Y'all and God Bless America! Congress works for us and we can be heard through our vote and peaceful activism. Make April Fools Day 2010 the day we make Congress take the folly out of our job situations in our country.

Last edited by bayoubebe; 03-25-2010 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: left off the capital c, although I don't know if congress is capitalized, but I want it consistently right or wrong

Old 03-26-2010, 08:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,383 times
Default everyone call and request tier 5 !!!!! call now !!!

202-224-3542 call and press option 1 to talk to staff!! Tell them you are in favor of tier 5!!!

Old 04-01-2010, 12:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,716 times
Default Military hiring?

Hate to disillusion you, but it is tough to even get into the military right now. And although you think of reg gov jobs as secure, they too are making cutbacks, closing programs and cancelling fundings. But even if they were opportunities available, once your over 30, your considered too old for the military and will have an extremely hard time entering the govt positions. There seems to be a lot of concern right now for the "younger generation" not being able to find summer work, maybe the focus should be on their parents finding work since they are the ones supporting most of these high school and college students anyway...

I am a single (widowed) mom and have worked my whole life since I was 14. I live in an area where the nearest "industrial center" is almost an hour away. Between me and there, there is one mall and maybe 5 gas stations, 2 supermarkets (one closing), a McDonalds, one Wendys and maybe a couple of family owned construction type businesses. Thats it. So fine you say, travel to the city, I was. Problem is, I and everyone else in the 150 mile surrounding area is going there too. There just aren't enough jobs for everyone there. Not everyone can become police, military or even day laborers. This Sunday in the Richmond Times Dispatch there was not even 3 pages of help wanted ads, and what was there, were mostly large ads taking up at least half of that space and medical or truck drivers. Again, not something just anyone can do. Plus there is a reason for so many trucker ads, the gas is so high and the jobs aren't paying enough to cover the costs which ends up getting handed down to the trucker. My Dad had a trucking co since 1968. He needed to come off the road last year, not because of health or age.... purely due to the cost of gas and not enough money for the jobs to cover.

Oh and I forgot the other job opp that is actually pretty abundant right now... Insurance sales. So you go to work for a company that will not pay you a salary, just commission and then try to get Americans to buy some sort of insurance they dont really need and try to convince them it is worth the money they too dont have right now because one spouse or both are not working... That'll work!

Get real. And the next person that makes a stupid comment like "people are happy to stay on unemployment and get money for free" aught to be shot. NO ONE wants to get laid off, lose their home, savings, car, everything they have worked 20 or 40 years for just to sit home (if they are lucky enough to still have one) and revel in the $300 or less they are getting a week. YOU try to support a family on that in these days and THEN let us all know how well it works out for you.

I personally am actually out of unemployment since the end of Feb. So tell me, WHAT is my incentive for not finding a job??? Duh.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:16 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,753,538 times
It's ugly everywhere for jobs, and those few jobs that are there, are because they don't pay a living wage for the area.
I am employed but my wife is a victim of the teacher layoffs. She got her notice of her last UC payment today. We are unsure if the state EB will take effect at this point or not. We have a crappy rate on our house and I'm just short of qualifying for a re-fi on my income. I'm qualified to pay $1800/month but not $1500 a month!!!
The numbers are skewed every which way, but the truth is 24-31 Million people have no work. When they have no money to have a roof over their head and something to eat there is nothing left to lose at that point....
You can add me to that "still employed and pissed" list, and I will fight for free too.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:51 PM

189 posts, read 648,074 times
good luck with the military, im due to run out tier 1 week after cut off. i have zero faith that anything helpful will be passed. went down to MEPS. they will take you back in but at a reduced rate and at a shortage MOS. basically less money at a job no one wants but its a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment