Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 09:56 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I believe they are angels or protective guides or spirits. That's my PHILOSOPHY.
I hope you don't vote.

Are you employed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 10:19 PM

33,543 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunJoaquin View Post
I have one such picture containing "orbs" that I treasure. There are several of them in the shot, taken at night, and it's a picture of the spooky graveyard lay-out on our yard at Halloween. It's quite eerie.

It could have very well been dust particles, but I don't know why this one shot would have it and not the others. Also, I find it questionable that dust particles would all be a perfect ball, or reflect as such.

I'm very open to the concept of "orbs", and this is what I choose to believe it is.
White "orbs"...Notice that the snowflakes nearest the camera appear perfectly round. That is because the nearer the object is to the camera from the focus point the more out of focus and round it appears...The same thing happens when a dust particle, raindrop or even when an insect is close to the camera...They all reflect light from the flash and appear round.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:22 PM

313 posts, read 450,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You don't need to believe they are orbs. They are orbs. Now, if you choose to believe they are something other than what they really are - that's your problem.
Problem? I don't have a problem. But it sure sounds like YOU have one!

Old 01-14-2011, 04:19 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I remember a pic taken on a digital (so no negative problem) which was outdoors and on a bridge and there was this point of light. It was on a tree - covered forest and we simply could not think of an explanation.

Of course it might well be one of those things which, if we did know it - a bottle dropped by a local or someone looking through binoculars - it would be obvious. When we can't think of an obvious explanation it does seem a bit mysterious.
Someone repped me (Nice of them ) with a suggestion that I had experienced the supernatural but didn't accept it. Of course this might be just a tongue in cheek remark. If I hadn't entertained the possibility that there was something ouside normal explanation involved here, i wouldn't have posted it, but in fact we don't know and a natural explanation for this (which isn't in the order of a ghostly apparition, of course) can't be ruled out. It has to be left as unexplained and we don't know the cause. What we don't know we don't say we do know and that includes we don't know that the supernatural was involved.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:42 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
The dust particale theory is interesting. The other night, however I took a series of shots at the same location. Only one contained an orb (it was not the first short, nor the last one).

I am not sure what they are, and I am not sure that they can be explained away that simply. I have also seen videos that I believe to be real and unaltered where the orbs do move. That is very hard to explain as dust particals, I would say.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-14-2011, 09:47 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I am not sure that they can be explained away that simply.
That is very hard to explain as dust particals, I would say.
I would have a hard time explaining open heart surgery but I am reasonably sure it happens.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:07 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,011,213 times
why anyone would find it necessary to share their ongoing unsolicited negative perspectives repeatedly is beyond me.
whew killjoys...i will be so glad when dead is dead.
it kinda reminds me of my maternal grand-mother she hated laughter unless it was a someone else's expense; then she could laugh all day.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
why anyone would find it necessary to share their ongoing unsolicited negative perspectives repeatedly is beyond me.
whew killjoys...i will be so glad when dead is dead.
it kinda reminds me of my maternal grand-mother she hated laughter unless it was a someone else's expense; then she could laugh all day.
Unsolicited? I'm answering the OP's question.

Sorry if I'm ruining the magic for you gabby, but I am a photographer and have given my explanation based on experience.

What is with your death wish? If holding on to your belief that orbs are some kind of spiritual energy is that important to you, just ignore my posts, because I don't want to be responsible for your demise.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:44 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Unsolicited? I'm answering the OP's question.

Sorry if I'm ruining the magic for you gabby, but I am a photographer and have given my explanation based on experience.

What is with your death wish? If holding on to your belief that orbs are some kind of spiritual energy is that important to you, just ignore my posts, because I don't want to be responsible for your demise.
As with every other unexplainable phenomenon, people always come up with reasonable, plausible explanations. These explanations, are theories and they merit consideration. However, theories are just that and nothing more. While there are instances where "orbs" can be "recreated" under certain conditions with dust or other particulates, it does not mean that all orbs are a result of this. You can draw a metallic object across the table with an unseen magnet, but that does not mean that objects that apparently move on their own are doing so as a result of this process. It is simply using the KNOWN to recreate the APPEARANCE of something that is unknown. They do this all the time in MOVIES, don't you know.

I do not know for certain, but I am reasonably sure that orb manifestation has been investigated to the point where reflections of dust bunnies in the lens has been ruled out. Therefore, we have to assume that, at the very least, a CERTAIN PERCENTAGE of orb occurrences are as a result of something that is unknown and unexplainable. The theory of spiritual presence is just as valid as any other theory, in my book.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-15-2011, 03:49 PM

I have yet to see an "orb" that was not explainable. Do you have an example?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal