Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 07:26 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,966,667 times

Advertisements

Invented in my home town. I never got anything out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 08:18 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,899,609 times
I used a ouija board when I was in my teens with a friend. I was a skeptic and at the time did not believe that the board was anything other than a toy by Parker Brothers.

We tried it several times with no luck so put it away for the duration of my visit (one week) then on a whim decided to try it again on the last night.

We contacted someone named 'Brooks' and asked some questions. We put away the board and about half an hour later was when things got strange.

Me, my friend, and her parents were all sitting in the den talking. The dogs are acting scared and the cats keep sniffing around the fireplace. Suddenly there is a loud boom and then a rush of soot and air from the fireplace. There is a loud crash noise and the inside pane of glass on the bedroom window in my friend's room is broken. My friend's mom grabbed the Ouija board and got rid of it that night.

It's not a story that I tell a lot of people. I am still not an easily convinced person but I don't mess with Ouija boards to this day.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:47 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,966,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
I used a ouija board when I was in my teens with a friend. I was a skeptic and at the time did not believe that the board was anything other than a toy by Parker Brothers.

We tried it several times with no luck so put it away for the duration of my visit (one week) then on a whim decided to try it again on the last night.

We contacted someone named 'Brooks' and asked some questions. We put away the board and about half an hour later was when things got strange.

Me, my friend, and her parents were all sitting in the den talking. The dogs are acting scared and the cats keep sniffing around the fireplace. Suddenly there is a loud boom and then a rush of soot and air from the fireplace. There is a loud crash noise and the inside pane of glass on the bedroom window in my friend's room is broken. My friend's mom grabbed the Ouija board and got rid of it that night.

It's not a story that I tell a lot of people. I am still not an easily convinced person but I don't mess with Ouija boards to this day.
And...what did Brooks say? He didn't tell you anything and got pissed I guess because you bothered him to begin with.
Sounds like a storm with hail to me.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:46 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,574,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post

I, also, have an unexplained incident that makes me believe there was something to the Board.

In a nutshell... I do not know how the "number" of the person contacted (or numbers given during using the board, I was scared of it then and I'm never touching it again, knowing that there is probably something to it) was written on a door in my house down the block. It must have been particularly disturbing because my Dad (again... down the block.. before the age of cell phones etc,) says to me as I walk in, "Why are you writing numbers on the door" or "wall" ? .. When I asked what the number was, or what he was talking about.. Yep, you guessed it, same number as down the block, written somewhere in my home.

Freaky. (And no, nobody got to my house first. All of us playing with it were accounted for afterwards.)

It's weird... it is definitely occult, but it's all pranky stuff? Or, like Marie Joseph said, weird instances right after calling it up.

Just like in the ghost shows. Something always happens when it is asked to "Make the presence known" but it's always something weird.. but for SURE related.

DON'T PLAY WITH THE SPIRITS

Old 11-11-2018, 12:12 PM

8,564 posts, read 10,984,238 times
"DON'T PLAY WITH THE SPIRITS”

The board is a toy, and manufactured as a toy.
One should not even try to contact spirits, if they do not know what they are doing.
At the risk of repeating myself, the board has absolutely NOTHING to do with contacting spirits.
IT IS THE HUMAN THOUGHT THAT IS RESPONSIBLE FOR SPIRIT CONTACT, AND NOTHING MORE.

Bob.

Last edited by Tallysmom; 11-11-2018 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: Kinda rude, so I fixed it for you.

Old 11-11-2018, 05:50 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,574,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
"DON'T PLAY WITH THE SPIRITSâ€

The board is a toy, and manufactured as a toy.
One should not even try to contact spirits, if they do not know what they are doing.
At the risk of repeating myself, the board has absolutely NOTHING to do with contacting spirits.
IT IS THE HUMAN THOUGHT THAT IS RESPONSIBLE FOR SPIRIT CONTACT, AND NOTHING MORE.

Bob.

See, that's the thing.. This toy is able to contact spirits. It should never have been presented as a toy!

It's not like it's a BB gun, it's like thinking the M-16 is a BB gun.

Old 11-11-2018, 09:44 PM

8,564 posts, read 10,984,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
See, that's the thing.. This toy is able to contact spirits. It should never have been presented as a toy!

It's not like it's a BB gun, it's like thinking the M-16 is a BB gun.

What makes you think the board is "able to contact spirits"?
You open the portal to spirits when you start asking questions.
The board has nothing to do with it.
I can, and do contact spirits on a daily bases, and I sure as hell do not need a piece of wood with letters and numbers on it to make contact, and I have been doing this for years.

Bob.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:19 AM

118 posts, read 66,101 times
Default Ouija boards

are plastic and cardboard. A toy for imaginative fun, like Halloween. Nothing more than that.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:54 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,565,415 times
I'm not certain boards were ever originally intended as toys. Purpose was always contacting the "unknown". Created well before first patent obtained in 1890, perhaps evolving into the label toy.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:03 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
I'm not certain boards were ever originally intended as toys. Purpose was always contacting the "unknown". Created well before first patent obtained in 1890, perhaps evolving into the label toy.
They were not intended as toys. They were intended as tools for adults during the spiritualism craze following the Civil War, through the turn of the last century.

I have seen reputable, registered, mediums in Lily Dale NY, and at events sponsored by or connected to, a Spiritualist church. I have never seen a Spiritualist medium use a Ouija board.

Ever.

I have mostly seen or known teenaged girls who tried the Ouija board with one of two results - NO Results or BAD Results.

I have asked registered mediums their opinion of the Ouija board and their answers have ranged from "avoid it at all costs" to "it is not a plaything and it should only be used by trained practitioners under very specific circumstances".

I have no idea what those "very specific circumstances" are. I did not ask. I only know that I am not a "trained practitioner" nor am I a registered medium or a member of the spiritualist church.

When I used the board in my teens and early 20s, I had negative and scary results. This thread is several years old. Take a look. How many people have used it and had negative experiences?

The board itself is not evil - in fact, anyone can craft one on their own. I just wouldn't mess with one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal