Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2020, 04:02 AM

6,952 posts, read 6,877,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
When you dead, you dead!

Game over. No heaven, no hell, no "other plain of existence". You're just dead.
You completely cease to exist. I know that sucks for some people, but that's just how it is. But guess what? You won't care because you'll be dead.
That is certainly a possibility and just as likely as any of the other beliefs out there. However, there are people who say they know, but that doesn't prove anything for anyone else. So, your belief that there is nothing after physical death is just as good or bad as anyone elses who believes there is something afterwards.

No better, no worse.

Some people who did not believe in a part of themselves leaving their physical body actually went on and tried the techniques. Some of them managed to achieve the results reported and some didn't. So, unless you have tried and given up, you cannot really say the techniques dont work I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2020, 10:10 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
When you dead, you dead!

You completely cease to exist. I know that sucks for some people, but that's just how it is. But guess what? You won't care because you'll be dead.
What would the point of our lives be then?!

All the unexplained and mysterious things that are debated on this board should be a big red flag that there is 'something else' going on, I think its almost a guarantee, there is something after death, although there is no guarantee, its the exact same for everyone...we could be totally alone in the afterlife for all we know.

If there was truly nothing after death, no judgement or consequences to our actions...this world would be incredibly brutal to live in, would be only the strong that survive, there would be no 'right or wrong' to base laws on.

Old 08-09-2020, 03:07 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
If there was truly nothing after death, no judgement or consequences to our actions...this world would be incredibly brutal to live in, would be only the strong that survive, there would be no 'right or wrong' to base laws on.
Not to get too religious since this is the UMandP subforum, both do you really think that if there were no religions or Bible or Torah or Quran, etc., there wouldn't be any criminal laws against murder, rape, stealing, arson, etc.?

Heck, doesn't the bible support polygamy, or at least not condemn it, yet it is illegal in most of the world, so I think we would still have the criminal laws we have today even without the hundreds of religions throughout the world and all those "holy books".

While I am a devout atheist and don't believe in a higher power or a heaven or hell, I still live my life to do good and not harm others, maybe it's just an instinct most of us are born with and it has nothing to do with a supreme creator!

Old 08-09-2020, 06:24 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,070,058 times
Quote:
When you dead, you dead!

Maybe. I tend to believe that when we die, we go to the same state we were in before we were born - somehow, that just feels "logical" to me. And whether that is as "A soul in a long line waiting for a new body", or our consciousness simply de-concentrates into some form of energy that re-distributes throughout the universe (as you suggest, you're just "dead"), I haven't got a clue. And neither does the guy in the video. My friend and I used to joke about where his uncle went after he expired, since he did some pretty nasty deeds in his life (his uncle, like Paulie Walnuts in the Sopranos, felt that he had enough "offset credits" attained through church attendance to balance them out. Paulie thought "He might have to do maybe five thousand years in purgatory, which in the scale of eternity is nothing, he could do that standing on his head".

Shakespeare had a pretty good handle on it in Hamlet, time for a re-read.

Old 08-09-2020, 06:52 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
What would the point of our lives be then?!

All the unexplained and mysterious things that are debated on this board should be a big red flag that there is 'something else' going on, I think its almost a guarantee, there is something after death, although there is no guarantee, its the exact same for everyone...we could be totally alone in the afterlife for all we know.

What you do and what you did lives on in the memories of the people that know or knew you - your legacy. Do you want to be known as a monster or do you want to be known as a saint? Maybe you just don't want to be known period?

It would be great if we could all be remembered like Spartan king Leonidas that made his stand against the Persian hoards that wanted to enslave his people. But most of us do not have his capabilities and hopefully will never have that opportunity. But infinity is a very long time and at some time in the future even our memories of the Battle of Thermopylae will fade or vanish because of some unseen cataclysmic event.

Ultimately we are the ones that have to live with ourselves. Do you like to see who you really are when you look in the mirror? The judgment and consequences of past actions you are already living with and you are repenting or ignoring. While not religious I do believe in the Golden Rule - to treat others the way I want to be treated myself. While there are many that do not care; they will have to live with their past actions until they die. While some might escape justice; they can never escape their selves.

All of my money is riding on nothing after death. Our brains turn to mush and then to dust. It is very hard to picture how dust can think of feel. Plus more of us are getting cremated today than in the past. With cremation all of our ashes just get ground and mixed together; it is very hard to picture how that could think.

The concept of a heaven does not appeal to me at all. Eternity is a very long time and I really do not like harps and flutes; sounds very boring! I don't remember before I was born and do not expect to remember after I die. As far as the OP and the Matt Fraser video, I do agree that your loved ones are always at your side. Your memories will live on in their minds. But that is as far as I will go.

Old 08-10-2020, 09:06 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
What you do and what you did lives on in the memories of the people that know or knew you - your legacy. Do you want to be known as a monster or do you want to be known as a saint? Maybe you just don't want to be known period?

It would be great if we could all be remembered like Spartan king Leonidas that made his stand against the Persian hoards that wanted to enslave his people. But most of us do not have his capabilities and hopefully will never have that opportunity. But infinity is a very long time and at some time in the future even our memories of the Battle of Thermopylae will fade or vanish because of some unseen cataclysmic event.

Ultimately we are the ones that have to live with ourselves. Do you like to see who you really are when you look in the mirror? The judgment and consequences of past actions you are already living with and you are repenting or ignoring. While not religious I do believe in the Golden Rule - to treat others the way I want to be treated myself. While there are many that do not care; they will have to live with their past actions until they die. While some might escape justice; they can never escape their selves.

All of my money is riding on nothing after death. Our brains turn to mush and then to dust. It is very hard to picture how dust can think of feel. Plus more of us are getting cremated today than in the past. With cremation all of our ashes just get ground and mixed together; it is very hard to picture how that could think.

The concept of a heaven does not appeal to me at all. Eternity is a very long time and I really do not like harps and flutes; sounds very boring! I don't remember before I was born and do not expect to remember after I die. As far as the OP and the Matt Fraser video, I do agree that your loved ones are always at your side. Your memories will live on in their minds. But that is as far as I will go.
I think Im a fairly good person, I get along well with just about everyone I meet, (RARELY in my life have I ever had anyone 'hating me')...Ive never killed or raped anyone, but I have done things I regret (mostly in my younger days), I have taken advantage of people in the past, Sometimes I do think Im holding on to some of these things far too long, but its hard to let them go, the only thing I can do is NOT do that to anyone today.

Its interesting you say you dont know how mush and dirt can think or feel...that is similar to asking how our physical brains are capable of what they are...our brains are just human tissue with a small electric charge, there are no nerves in our brains...so how could a bunch of folded human tissue come up with the complex emotions we experience?

I also think you are mistaken about 'eternity'...its not a really LONG time...its NO TIME at all, my guess is, it wont feel like a billion years or 2 seconds...it will be something else entirely, however as living breathing humans living in the world, we cannot comprehend an existence without time.

I do hope we get to see our loved ones again though.

Old 08-10-2020, 06:42 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,861,844 times
Wow. Aint nothing wrong with being a good person and making the best out of the time you are here. But...
Way back when, some people came up with this stuff about going somewhere else when you die. Being dead was really an unknown. Just like the Earth being flat. People needed to feel safe and such. There doesnt have to be this mystical meaning of life. It's something we made up. We just exist. Like all the other life on Earth. We live, we die. Period. You think mosquitoes go to mosquito heaven? What makes humans so different and special other than us being lead to believe that over the years. Because we're not.
Just because we can manufacture, and drive a car, that does not make us any "better" than a squirrel. We just *think* we are.

Old 08-10-2020, 08:00 PM

8,555 posts, read 10,981,308 times
i TOOK JUST ONE PARAGRAPH FROM FISHEYE'S POST.

Quote:
Your reference is being put forth in, and of the human realm.
Obviously as humans,when we die, we are no more, but you left out our soul departs our body when we die.
That is the part that lives on.

Our deceased human form is no more, so we have no capability of thought, or anything else.
The soul that disengage from our body at death lives on, never to forget the life it just surrendered from.
Most humans don't even know if that happens when we die, but as one who has daily experiences with the after life, I can tell you, live goes on after we die.

Now some would ask, show me proof of this afterlife.
Many besides myself have been , and still are, involved in EVP.
Those taping events are real.
Activity is all around us concerning the spirits interacting with we humans, but many fail to recognize when that happens, and to them this after life does not exist.

For the most part, we as humans are limited, by design, on what we are allowed to know concerning after life.
We only know what the spirits want us to know, and nothing more.

Had you studied the spirits, like I have over the years, you might find yourself asking," how is it my human mind can only reflect on what is in this life?"
Spirits can reflect on all their previous lives, even those they lived centuries ago, and they can also know ahead of time, the "new" life they will incarnate into?
For humans, their life ends upon death, but for the soul incarnated into that body, it leaves to return to the spirit world, to once again contemplate a new life existence.

Only for a few, and for a brief amount of time, are we humans able to actually be among the spirits, in their world, and return to the human existence.
Those that have taken that journey all tell of an incredible place, peaceful beyond belief.
To the non believer's I can only say, there is an after life, and we will be a part of it when we die, and our human mind dies with us, so we can not conceive of this place, or it's existence upon death.
We only know of it from the experience of those who made the journey, and returned, and by words from those of us who are able to make spirit contact.

Old 08-10-2020, 09:27 PM

6,952 posts, read 6,877,619 times
The Monroe Institute conducts experiments into consciousness and scientists Targ and Puthoff also did experiments back in the 70's at Stanford Research Institute. There is probably quite a bit of evidence for there being something which is intelligent which exists outside of ourselves. Those people who have experienced this 'something' also claim to have met discarnate beings.

I know I go on about this a lot, but people who go out-of-body claim that we each have various multidimensional 'bodies' which are solid (just like we are in our Earthly 3D existence) in other realities. They claim that they can exit from this physical body and go to another reality where they are a solid in that reality as we are in this reality. This is not just one person writing about this, but all of those who claim they can do OBE claim the same thing.

The folks who believe there is blackness and nothingness after death, need to read up on the scientific and experimental literature on consciousness and see if they still feel the same way. I think our thinking is so limited that we cannot conceive of the type of environment we will experience when not in a physical 3D body.

Old 08-11-2020, 05:42 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
To the non believer's I can only say, there is an after life, and we will be a part of it when we die, and our human mind dies with us, so we can not conceive of this place, or it's existence upon death.
We only know of it from the experience of those who made the journey, and returned, and by words from those of us who are able to make spirit contact.
The problem is that I don't want your afterlife. I am content with nothing. I don't remember before I was born and I do not expect to remember after I die.

Since you admit that our human mind dies with us how are we supposed to know anything after death?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal