Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2022, 08:52 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,263,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by basket123 View Post
Do you think that there is extraterrestrial life out there ??
Do I think there is probably life beyond Earth? Yup. Not only do I think it is possible, I think it is extremely likely.

Do we have any conclusive evidence that there is definitely life beyond Earth? Nope. Not yet.

Do I think extraterrestrial life is visiting Earth? I find it extremely unlikely --- but not impossible. I will say I have never seen any convincing evidence that it is definitely happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2022, 11:25 AM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
Sometimes I question whether earthlings qualify as "intelligent: life...how about you?

Old 01-19-2022, 04:17 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,206,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Do I think there is probably life beyond Earth? Yup. Not only do I think it is possible, I think it is extremely likely.
Can you explain why? And please don't answer with, "cause the universe is really big".

Old 01-19-2022, 05:13 PM

2,451 posts, read 1,680,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Life? Absolutely

Intelligent Life? Possibly

Intelligent life visited/ing Earth? No
This is also what I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Can you explain why? And please don't answer with, "cause the universe is really big".
It is really the only answer. There are just so many other planets out there that some have to have life. Your guess is as good as mine though.

Old 01-19-2022, 05:26 PM

2,135 posts, read 1,206,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Sometimes I question whether earthlings qualify as "intelligent: life...how about you?
I qualify, thanks for asking
Quote:
As a Muslim I would have to say yes of course.
OP^ If I understand correctly you guys worship a big rock that supposedly fell from the sky in the desert and you keep it in the kabba? Not sure how you make the leap to god and other life from that

anyway the universe is a big place, so big that we do not even have the first inkling as to its limits, nor its age. We only guess as to its other properties.

So I vote there most likely is other life out there. many kinds.

Old 01-19-2022, 06:00 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times
To answer your thread question, I'd say probably so.

Old 01-19-2022, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
It is really the only answer. There are just so many other planets out there that some have to have life. Your guess is as good as mine though.
How did RNA/DNA form? We have no idea. In fact, the odds of it forming are so low it shouldn't have happened at all. The same goes for the existence of the universe. There is no solid explanation for why anything exists, but it does. Nor is there an explanation for why the four fundamental forces are calibrated in a precise way to allow for life.

Regardless, Drake's equation has been thoroughly debunked by Fermi's paradox.

There could be extraterrestrial life, but there is zero evidence for it. Nor is its existence the most rational conclusion. Atheists apply Occam's Razor to everything but aliens.

Old 01-19-2022, 06:33 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
We are still learning about our universe and now we might be looking at other possibilities: https://investmacro.com/2021/12/nick...0to%20hydrogen.

It isn't only the possibility of non-carbon based 'life' forms, our own planet could have seeded other worlds from cataclysmic events in our past. Like the asteroid that wiped out the dynasaurs and hurled some of the seeds of life into space.

We really can only speculate about the possibilities, because we are not out there and the information we collect can be thousands of years old. But that is what this forum is about. Many of us believe that 'life' on other worlds is possible. Whether it is capable of of the commute to Earth is another debate.

Old 01-19-2022, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Like the asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs and hurled some of the seeds of life into space.
Citation please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Many of us believe that 'life' on other worlds is possible.
You can believe whatever you want. What triggers me is when people claim it is guaranteed, or likely, or probable, or whatever. There is literally nothing to base that conclusion on except, "The universe is really big".

Yeah well, the ocean is really big, that doesn't mean the leviathan is in there, or Atlantis, or whatever.

Old 01-19-2022, 06:47 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,925,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

Do we have any conclusive evidence that there is definitely life beyond Earth? Nope. Not yet.

Do I think extraterrestrial life is visiting Earth? I find it extremely unlikely --- but not impossible. I will say I have never seen any convincing evidence that it is definitely happening.
Ditto your thinking on this. Exceedingly unlikely that any sort of advanced organism is visiting Earth. Maybe microbial life via asteroid but even that is very, very unlikely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal