Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 01:01 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by basket123 View Post
As a Muslim I would have to say yes of course. There is a whole world of living things that we are unfamiliar with. The universe is simply too big and complex for us to understand. I wonder how far are the heavens from us. And where exactly is hell? And are there other planets where there are more humans ??? If so, how far are they ?

I think it’s a very interesting topic. I remember growing up, I used to think it’s silly to believe in “aliens”, but now I am certain that there is more life out there. There is no way we are alone in this gigantic universe!
No idea what being a Muslim has to do with anything, but I certainly think there is life out there somewhere. Just too vast not to be. Has nothing to do with religion, just how people think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2022, 04:41 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,212,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Use our solar system. Of nine planets (Pluto lover here), we know what planet has life and Earth's attributes that allowed life to evolve and thrive.
So every ninth planet will have life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I certainly can't say I know for certain there is life beyond Earth. But I think the chances are pretty good... I have seen a UFO. I promise you I did.
Well that explains your desire to believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69qYusZyLrs

Old 01-21-2022, 05:06 PM

30,171 posts, read 11,809,456 times
The vastness of the universe and its age indicates that there probably is intelligent life out there, perhaps in lots of places. But the vastness of the universe probably means we have never been visited. All the UFO stuff is people simply being wrong about what they think they saw or the government covering up secret projects and using possible UFO's as the excuse.

Old 01-21-2022, 05:13 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,285,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Well that explains your desire to believe.
No, it doesn't, and I don't think you're even reading what I wrote.

I think it is probable life exists beyond Earth. There is no proof. But given everything we know of the cosmos, I think the chances are pretty good.

I have seen an unidentified flying object. You do understand what "unidentified" means, right? I don't think it was aliens. I have no idea what it was.

The two facts are in no way connected.

Old 01-21-2022, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
The question is, do you think that one handful of sand you randomly scooped up, captured the ONLY blue grain of sand that exists on that entire beach? Or, would you naturally conclude that among the trillions of handfuls of sand that comprise the entire beach, there would be many more?
A blue grain indicates some kind of rock formation from which it broke off. Which means there are almost certainly more blue grains somewhere. But life on Earth is not analogous because it didn't form somewhere else and get deposited here. There is no source. We are the source.

Quote:
The odds of Earth being the only planet for which life exists are so astronomically remote.
Sources: "Trust me bro".

It is impossible to say what the odds are if you don't know the odds. So again, "What are the odds that a planet will have life?"

Just say you don't know so we can both go on with our lives.

Quote:
There are some who dismiss life on other planets from religious perspectives, but I would suggest that it’s unlikely that God would create trillions of planets, only to use one of them for creation.
Let's pretend that the only star and only solar system in the universe was ours. Would there be life on Earth? Why or why not?

To find the answer, watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJQjjBR6PbY

Quote:
From a scientific perspective which does not embrace “creation” or a “Creator”, but believes only in natural evolutionary processes, it would seem equally foolish to think that those natural process only occurred here on earth, out of Trillions of other places in our universe.
The universe is nearly 14 billion years old. If life was as prevalent as you think it is, where is it? There should be civilizations billions of years ahead of ours. What could we do in a billion years?

As I said in my earlier post, the only rational explanation for the total lack of evidence for extraterrestrial life is that either it is everywhere but cannot reach us, or it doesn't exist.

Old 01-21-2022, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I think it is probable life exists beyond Earth. There is no proof. But given everything we know of the cosmos, I think the chances are pretty good.
What is it that we know about the cosmos that makes the chances good? That it is big? Anything else?

Old 01-21-2022, 06:50 PM

Quote:

The universe is nearly 14 billion years old. If life was as prevalent as you think it is, where is it? There should be civilizations billions of years ahead of ours. What could we do in a billion years?

As I said in my earlier post, the only rational explanation for the total lack of evidence for extraterrestrial life is that either it is everywhere but cannot reach us, or it doesn't exist.
We have only had radio communications for a little over 100 years. Before that any other life out there would not know we exist.

From what I have read our radio communications have traveled about 200 light years. The Milky Way is at least 100,000 light years across. That is a very small part of the universe. If if this signals happen to reach intelligent life already, would yheyrush out to investigate us? How long would it take to get here?

How do we know that other intelligent life is not so far advanced that we would not understand it even if was transmitted to us?

Old 01-21-2022, 08:20 PM

Quote:

To find the answer, watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJQjjBR6PbY
I watched the video. Excellent. However since intelligent life formed here there is no reason to think its not been repeated millions of times elsewhere. The video does not refute that. In fact it reinforces that notion in my opinion.

My feeling the reason we are not aware of other intelligent life is the vastness of space. And our very short history of technology.

Old 01-21-2022, 09:22 PM

6,956 posts, read 6,880,495 times
Quote:

Unfortunately not everything is rational and there are things that you or others cannot explain using rational thought processes. You can say you dont know of course, but thats not an explanation and folks need an explanation - particularly when they pay scientists to find out for them. Not looking for an explanation is a failure to perform what we pay science to exist for.

The evidence is all around us that something unexplained is in our environment. The fact that you choose not to accept that evidence does not mean it is not here. It HAS reached us. It IS here. It may not be aliens, but as far as we know, it is not environmental factors.

Maybe you accept an answer of "I dont know" from a scientist, but I do not. Thats not what scientists should do. so I am looking for more - much more.

Now..looking at the stuff I mentioned earlier which is whizzing about the sky. We need someone to look into that and to find out what it is. Whatever it is, it does not conform to what we know about flight, and it is using some pretty advanced power generation techniques. Think what we (the people) could do with that technology and if the military knows how to do that stuff, then we need it to bring water to dry areas. We need it to lower the cost of goods through cheaper energy production. etc

Saying we dont know what it is - is a cop-out because we can see it, we can experience it, we can measure it. So we need science to find out what IT is.

Old 01-22-2022, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
From what I have read our radio communications have traveled about 200 light years. The Milky Way is at least 100,000 light years across. That is a very small part of the universe. If if this signals happen to reach intelligent life already, would they rush out to investigate us? How long would it take to get here?
The bolded is the right question. As you said, even if we intercepted transmissions from other stars or galaxies, they might be hundreds, thousands, or millions of years old. Whatever civilization broadcast those signals might have long since died out.

But it is highly unlikely that any spacefaring civilization will die out. In fact, it is practically impossible. So if a spacefaring civilization has ever existed, they would have spent millions or billions of years spreading out across their own galaxy, then to other galaxies.

And since a spacefaring civilization is effectively impossible to destroy, once this process begins it should be unstoppable. There should be millions or even billions of years of nonstop electromagnetic signals being broadcast out into space. But there aren't.

So what can explain it? Either A) Aliens don't communicate using electromagnetic waves. B) There are no spacefaring civilizations. C) There are spacefaring civilizations but they haven't existed long enough to explore the galaxy. D) There is no life beyond Earth.

Which of the four is most probable and why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal