Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2022, 12:56 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshadowz
So what can explain it? Either A) Aliens don't communicate using electromagnetic waves. B) There are no spacefaring civilizations. C) There are spacefaring civilizations but they haven't existed long enough to explore the galaxy. D) There is no life beyond Earth.
Which of the four is most probable and why?
Maybe we are not looking in the correct place for the correct method of communication? There may be other mediums for communication other than radiowaves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound
I disagree. We still have do not have the technology to be spacefaring. Going to Mars and surviving there is still a ways off. But we probably have the ability now to create some sort of biological weapon to kill every human and nuclear weapons to send us back to the dark ages or worse. This pandemic has shown that even with all our advancements we still do a poor job stopping disease from spreading.
No, we DO have the technology to be spacefaring beings. It is you who does not recognise it in these UAPs we are seeing whizzing about. Do you think this technology is not military then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2022, 04:35 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
It’s far more likely that such stories and mythologies have some basis in reality, as opposed to being just an overactive imagination of those recounting such stories, who have painted paintings, carved images in stone, drew images in clay tablets, etc.
So everything described in every religion is true? Every piece of art depicts something that exists?

Quote:
That’s a pretty accurate recreation of an airplane these natives constructed. Perhaps these tribesmen had neighboring tribes people who think like you do who laughed and called them conspiracy theorists for constructing such ridiculously odd looking things LOL, but of course we know the truth about that now, don’t we?
I would hope that people wouldn't just take one guy's word for it. But isn't it safe to assume it wasn't just one guy, but rather entire villages, and probably entire islands? And that the objects were visible for long periods of time, were consistently shaped, and the planes dropped physical items that could be collected? Whereas claims of alien spacecraft seem to take virtually every shape, leave literally nothing behind, and none of the stories make any sense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying...r#Explanations

Quote:
Applying this same scenario to other events of the past, and even ancient past, which repeatedly depict very similar sightings, it’s far more likely that these ancient drawings and carvings and paintings are based on what these people actually saw, rather than just being based on the imagination of those who would otherwise have no frame of reference to dream up this kinda stuff out of thin air?
The ancients also depict angels and demons, animal hybrids, gods, etc. And most of the time they depict more or less the same figure across vast distances, cultures, religions, etc. Think of dragons.

As for the images you linked, I'm not an expert but it looks like the paintings were drawn in the Middle-Ages, and they're probably somehow related to Christianity or some other story. One of the images is literally called the "Baptism of Jesus".

https://www.express.co.uk/news/weird...aert-de-gelder

Are you saying that Jesus was an alien? What are you saying?

Quote:
Maybe it’s you who will only accept things that fit your unwavering “beliefs”? What you are doing here is called “projection”. It’s the act of accusing others of doing precisely the thing you are actually doing!

I myself just look at it from a common sense point of view …. if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, I’m thinking there is a good chance it’s a duck.
If I show you images from different cultures which depict seemingly similar things, does that prove they existed?

As I said, I'm always questioning people's motives for why they choose to believe what they do. I'm a skeptical agnostic on the topic of aliens. They could exist, but I don't find the current evidence sufficient to prove it.

I know you think the evidence is overwhelming because you heard about crop circles or alien abductions or you saw some painting that kind of looked like it resembled someone else's depiction of aliens, or maybe you saw something in the sky that you can't explain. If that is all the evidence you need, then fine, believe what you want.

I need more than some painting, or some unclear ancient story, or some article in a tabloid. But even then, I could probably believe in aliens if their supposed interactions made any sense whatsoever.

If you ask why aliens don't just show themselves, the answer is usually that we are too primitive so they don't care about us. If that is true, why are they constantly here abducting people? You would think they would just ignore us. Others think aliens are guiding civilization, and that we're using alien technology right now. I see no evidence for that either. Others believe the US government has been interacting with aliens for decades. We would be almost going to war with Russia if that was the case.

I'm just trying to figure out how what would otherwise be discounted as conspiracy theories, mass delusions, and superstition, became the only rational conclusion.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 01-23-2022 at 05:07 AM..

Old 01-23-2022, 05:01 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
Quote:
That’s all well and good, and Captain Kirk might agree with you. However, we’re just a bit short of achieving such ‘speeds’. The speed of light is 670,616,629 mph, 1/2 of that would be 335,308,314 mph. Our current technological record for a manned space vehicle is 24,790 mph, which would equate to a trip to Proxima Centauri lasting 114,159 years to complete.

Even if we were able to double our technological capability each and every year starting today, it would take us thousands of years to achieve anything nearing or even half the speed of light. Since we’ve never demonstrated the ability to do that even once, it’s highly unlikely that we’d be able to do it thousands of times.

For such advanced civilizations, Earth might just be on the “why bother” list, with countless other choices more interesting.
The current speed record for an unmanned spacecraft was broken this month when the Parker Space Probe dove in close to the sun at perihelion and hit speeds over 400,000 mph. It will break that record again soon on it's next slingshot perihelion dive around the sun.

Only civilizations within about 100 light years of Earth are in the sphere that our radio transmissions have reached. Anything further than that hasn't had a chance to observe any signs of intelligent life on Earth.

Old 01-23-2022, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Maybe we are not looking in the correct place for the correct method of communication? There may be other mediums for communication other than radiowaves.
How would it be transmitted through space? As a wave? As a particle? No idea but it must be possible because you've seen videos of aliens and the universe is really big?

Old 01-23-2022, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
The current speed record for an unmanned spacecraft was broken this month when the Parker Space Probe dove in close to the sun at perihelion and hit speeds over 400,000 mph. It will break that record again soon on it's next slingshot perihelion dive around the sun.
The question isn't really how fast something is moving, since all speeds are relative. The question is whether we have the ability to both accelerate and decelerate an object to great speeds, allowing us to travel to other solar systems.

The Parker Space probe accelerates dramatically as it nears the sun because of the sun's immense gravity. It reaches its highest speed as it make its closest approach in its large elliptical orbit, but as soon as it moves away from the sun, the sun's gravity begins slowing it down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy4YiVJ9sCM

You could certainly use large celestial bodies for their slingshot effect, but the maximum speed in a perihelion dive is hardly a useful metric. Plus eventually you have to slow yourself down, and deceleration requires just as much energy as acceleration.

Quote:
Only civilizations within about 100 light years of Earth are in the sphere that our radio transmissions have reached. Anything further than that hasn't had a chance to observe any signs of intelligent life on Earth.
If they're just listening and waiting, sure. But if they have the ability to explore the universe, I would assume they already are. And if they're more advanced than us, they've probably been transmitting for a lot more than 100 years.

Basically, the question isn't why can't they detect us, but rather why can't we detect them.

Old 01-23-2022, 07:20 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
The closest star to ours is 93 million miles away. Providing it could harbor life, it would still take someone centuries to travel that far.
Our Sun is 93 million miles from us. We do have a telescope orbiting the Sun now. For the first time in history that satellite skimmed its atmosphere. I believe the closest star to us is a little over 4 light years away. In that case it would take centuries to reach using our current technology.

Old 01-23-2022, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
The blackpill is that our rocket propulsion technology is pretty much the same as it was in the 1960's. The only reason we're capable of our current speeds is that we use the Earth's/Moon's gravity as a slingshot. They want to use Venus as a slingshot for the Mars mission.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...fuel-time.html

If they send humans to Mars it would be a one-way mission since it would be pretty much impossible to build a rocket with enough fuel to reach Mars, slow itself upon reaching Mars, land on Mars, then relaunch from Mars, reach Earth, then decelerate(it takes as much energy to decelerate as it does to accelerate).

Moreover, I don't think people understand how dangerous space is. We're lucky they didn't die on their way to the moon. The Earth has a magnetosphere that protects us from solar/cosmic radiation. A solar flare or a cosmic ray could have killed the crew on the Apollo missions.

https://theconversation.com/space-ra...y-lucky-120339

Imagine spending months on a tiny ship with no fresh air, millions of miles away from Earth, with more-or-less no internet or communications, and really nothing to do except look at a pretty fixed view of the stars, in what would be a tiny little prison, and where return is impossible. Sounds like hell.

Anyone who signs up for that suicide is insane.

And secondly, not only do I not think anything close to speed of light travel is possible(because it would require an infinite amount of energy), but if you could reach anywhere close to that speed there would be extreme time-dilation.

https://www.omnicalculator.com/physics/time-dilation

If you could travel at 50% of the speed of light, for every 1 year, 1.15 years would elapse on Earth. And if you could travel at 95% of the speed of light, for every 1 year, 3.2 years would elapse on Earth. If you were to travel Proxima Centauri at 95% of the speed of light, it would take 4.47 years. Round trip would take 8.94 years. But by the time you returned to Earth it would have been nearly 30 years.

Basically, if you could leave, you could never truly come back.

And that doesn't even consider that ramming even a tiny object(think of a bolt) at 50% of the speed of light would destroy anything we could ever build.

Here's the truth, you're never going to leave this rock. Your children are never going to leave this rock. Your grandchildren are never going to leave this rock. In fact, I have a difficult time imagining any human ever leaving our solar system. You would basically have to break the laws of physics. To distort space-time.
Or these objects..

The Quimbaya artifacts are several dozen golden objects, found in Colombia, made by the Quimbaya civilization, dated around 1000 CE.

Their vertical tails is what is very interesting.

Old 01-23-2022, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
The blackpill is that our rocket propulsion technology is pretty much the same as it was in the 1960's. The only reason we're capable of our current speeds is that we use the Earth's/Moon's gravity as a slingshot. They want to use Venus as a slingshot for the Mars mission.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...fuel-time.html

If they send humans to Mars it would be a one-way mission since it would be pretty much impossible to build a rocket with enough fuel to reach Mars, slow itself upon reaching Mars, land on Mars, then relaunch from Mars, reach Earth, then decelerate(it takes as much energy to decelerate as it does to accelerate).

Moreover, I don't think people understand how dangerous space is. We're lucky they didn't die on their way to the moon. The Earth has a magnetosphere that protects us from solar/cosmic radiation. A solar flare or a cosmic ray could have killed the crew on the Apollo missions.

https://theconversation.com/space-ra...y-lucky-120339

Imagine spending months on a tiny ship with no fresh air, millions of miles away from Earth, with more-or-less no internet or communications, and really nothing to do except look at a pretty fixed view of the stars, in what would be a tiny little prison, and where return is impossible. Sounds like hell.

Anyone who signs up for that suicide is insane.

And secondly, not only do I not think anything close to speed of light travel is possible(because it would require an infinite amount of energy), but if you could reach anywhere close to that speed there would be extreme time-dilation.

https://www.omnicalculator.com/physics/time-dilation

If you could travel at 50% of the speed of light, for every 1 year, 1.15 years would elapse on Earth. And if you could travel at 95% of the speed of light, for every 1 year, 3.2 years would elapse on Earth. If you were to travel Proxima Centauri at 95% of the speed of light, it would take 4.47 years. Round trip would take 8.94 years. But by the time you returned to Earth it would have been nearly 30 years.

Basically, if you could leave, you could never truly come back.

And that doesn't even consider that ramming even a tiny object(think of a bolt) at 50% of the speed of light would destroy anything we could ever build.

Here's the truth, you're never going to leave this rock. Your children are never going to leave this rock. Your grandchildren are never going to leave this rock. In fact, I have a difficult time imagining any human ever leaving our solar system. You would basically have to break the laws of physics. To distort space-time.
Several people have left this rock and returned. One thing for sure, you will never head up a space agency.

Old 01-23-2022, 07:59 AM

Quote:

That's true however, we have not received transmissions at all I believe. What I mean is transmissions not in response to our transmissions, but some sort of chatter sent eons ago not related to us at all.

Old 01-23-2022, 08:05 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Do you think that there is extraterrestrial life out there ??

No. One s---hole in this universe is enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal