Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 09:31 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,431,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
I use it when I'm trying really hard not to say, "F***ing hell!" Which I think we Brits say a lot but I've never heard an American use that phrase. I like to crack up my American coworkers by using archaic English phrases and slang and I use, "Cheers!" a lot. But then they think I'm a raging alcoholic so tend to assume I'm talking about drinking again.
Well Americans would say Freakin Hell anyway.
I can't bear that word-if you want to swear just swear!

We also spend a lot of time teaching slang !
We found our Cockney rhyming slang book and also "Lorn yesel Jordy" too.

To me that's one of the biggest differences between American and English languages.
We have lots of slang words and different geographical areas have different slang word, but in the US you don't really get that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 12:08 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,474,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post

To me that's one of the biggest differences between American and English languages.
We have lots of slang words and different geographical areas have different slang word, but in the US you don't really get that.
You're teaching americans Geordie?! Awesome . Perhaps that will come in handy when they start broadcasting "Geordy Shore" on BBC America

Old 02-16-2011, 01:26 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,885,184 times
Quote:

Again, I have to strongly disagree. When I moved merely from one area of PA to another, I came across phrases I'd never heard before. Like "My Bad" (my mistake). Other's I'd heard before but because my parents were from the Philly area like "hoagie" instead of "sub".

I can't remember where this person was from but I once came across the odd usage of the word "stoved" to mean "hurt" or "injured", ie "He stoved his finger with the knife!"

Also, a common Pennsylvania Dutch term which means to clean up is "red up", ie "I need to red up the room".

These are just some I've come across within PA and thought of off the top of my head - I'm sure there are hundreds maybe even thousands of other examples of regional slang and terminology across the country.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:41 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,431,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
You're teaching americans Geordie?! Awesome . Perhaps that will come in handy when they start broadcasting "Geordy Shore" on BBC America
Well, I have more of a Durham NE accent rather than Geordie. My vowels are different!
My husband is from the east end of London and frequently we have been asked if I was born in a different country and then moved to England!
Or if I'm Irish, Scottish or Australian.

I tell people that they heard someone speak in broad Geordie they would never understand it- I used to have trouble if it was someone with a deep voice and they were talking fast.

I mean , we have so many different words for the same thing in the UK-it's pretty astounding really. I also think that some words that used to be commonly used are being lost and the younger generations are picking up more Americanisms.

What Is Geordie Shores?

Old 02-16-2011, 08:44 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,325,718 times
"That was a tasty meal."

Old 02-16-2011, 08:45 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,325,718 times
But seriously, "BUGGER!"

Old 02-17-2011, 02:50 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,096 posts, read 30,401,990 times
A lot of good eggs answered.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:17 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,474,247 times
Quote:
Well, I have more of a Durham NE accent rather than Geordie. My vowels are different!
My husband is from the east end of London and frequently we have been asked if I was born in a different country and then moved to England!
Or if I'm Irish, Scottish or Australian.

I tell people that they heard someone speak in broad Geordie they would never understand it- I used to have trouble if it was someone with a deep voice and they were talking fast.

I mean , we have so many different words for the same thing in the UK-it's pretty astounding really. I also think that some words that used to be commonly used are being lost and the younger generations are picking up more Americanisms.

What Is Geordie Shores?
It's a new TV program starting in the UK based on the New Jersey show on E! over here (I think it's called Jerseylicious?). I get asked if I'm Australian a lot too altho my "hometown" is actually Oxford, but then I'm an ex-military brat with a German mother, Gateshead father and we travelled a LOT so I've probably picked up a real mash-up of accents over the years.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:37 AM

113 posts, read 364,957 times
brissol (bristol) here. living in the us at present though.

off the top a mi ed, phrases i actually still use

bobs yer uncle
well i be a monkeys uncle
well i never......
oh for petes sake
bloody nora

Old 02-26-2011, 02:45 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:

I'd also have to disagree. The language differences between the areas of the country (America) can be huge! Moving to the southern part of the country from the midwest required a huge learning curve. Many words do not travel well, if you get my drift.

The differences between the western part of the country and the eastern part are not quite as pronounced, but, they are there.

And, yes, we DO have many different accents here, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom