Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 09:01 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,431,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
I'd also have to disagree. The language differences between the areas of the country (America) can be huge! Moving to the southern part of the country from the midwest required a huge learning curve. Many words do not travel well, if you get my drift.

The differences between the western part of the country and the eastern part are not quite as pronounced, but, they are there.

And, yes, we DO have many different accents here, too!
Yes ,of course you have different accents-I didn't disagree with that.

But the UK regional accents are far, far, stronger, and I have so far rarely heard any slang language here in NC,or anywhere else I've visited, whereas in the UK it's commonplace.

Many Americans can't pick up on the fact that my husband and I have different accents, even though he's from the east end of London and I'm from Durham in the North east, so it's pretty obvious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 02:57 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,885,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Yes ,of course you have different accents-I didn't disagree with that.

But the UK regional accents are far, far, stronger, and I have so far rarely heard any slang language here in NC,or anywhere else I've visited, whereas in the UK it's commonplace.

Many Americans can't pick up on the fact that my husband and I have different accents, even though he's from the east end of London and I'm from Durham in the North east, so it's pretty obvious.
So even though Americans have trouble picking up the differences in the UK regional accents, you don't think it's possible you are having trouble picking up the different regional accents in the US? I'm from PA and trust me, people from NC have a very different accent. UK accents are much more specific to one small area because the country is so small - whereas US accents can often be spread out more... but that doesn't mean there aren't very strong differences or no regional slang.

I can't speak for NC but as I've already pointed out, there are several slang terms which are specific to certain different areas of PA. Accents vary to, someone from Philly will sound very different from someone from Pittsburgh. Just because you can't hear it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Maybe this is all less common in NC - the US is, after all, a big country and you can't define all of it by one area.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
So even though Americans have trouble picking up the differences in the UK regional accents, you don't think it's possible you are having trouble picking up the different regional accents in the US?

I'm from PA and trust me, people from NC have a very different accent.

Really? Would never have known that

UK accents are much more specific to one small area because the country is so small -
Which means we have far more accents. Even in the North east of the UK for eg, people from Newcastle, Durham, Sunderland and Middlesborough have different accents.
Then if you go up into Weardale, Tynedale and Teesdale it's the same again-different words and accents.whereas US accents can often be spread out more... but that doesn't mean there aren't very strong differences or no regional slang.

I can't speak for NC but as I've already pointed out, there are several slang terms which are specific to certain different areas of PA. Accents vary to, someone from Philly will sound very different from someone from Pittsburgh. Just because you can't hear it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Maybe this is all less common in NC - the US is, after all, a big country and you can't define all of it by one area.
I think you pointed out about 2.

Geordie actually isn't an accent-it's a language!
  • alreet (/'a:lri:t/ a variation on alright
  • cannit 'can not'
  • canny for "pleasant" (the Scottish use of canny is often somewhat less flattering), or to mean 'quite'. Someone could therefore be 'canny canny'.
  • geet for "very", also *muckle (used more in Northumberland)
  • hyem for "home"
  • deeky for "look at"
  • kets for "sweets/treats"
  • knaa for "to know/know"
  • divint for "don't"/
  • bairn/grandbairn for "child/grandchild"
  • hacky for "dirty"
  • gan for "to go/go"
  • hoy for "to throw"[21]
  • toon for "Town"
  • nettie|bog for "toilet"
  • naa for "no"
  • ayee|yerr for "yes"
  • neb for "nose" (nebby=nosey)
  • banter for "chat/gossip"
  • clart for "mud" as in "there's clarts on yar boots"
  • hadaway for "get away"
  • hinny a term of endearment - "Honey"[21]
  • haad for "hold/ ie keep a hadd/ keep a hold/ had yer gob/ keep quiet/ that polite little notice in the parks aboot keepin' yor dog on a lead ye cud hev Keep A-Hadden Yor Dog[21]
  • divvie for "stupid person"
  • tab for "cigarette"
  • chor "to steal"
  • chiv for "knife"
  • wor for "our", used mainly in the context of wor kid, meaning 'friend', one's sibling or literally 'our kid'. Used primarily to denote a family member.
  • nowt for "nothing"[21]
  • is for "me"
  • wuh for "us"
Cockney rhyming slang originated in the east end of London, but many phrases are commonly used without the rhyming part all over the UK-eg use your loaf, however people often don't realise that it's from the rhyming slang, loaf of bread meaning head.
What is Cockney Rhyming Slang?

EnglishRhymes withCockneyFeetPlates of meatPlatesTeethHampstead HeathHampsteadsLegsScotch eggsScotchesEyesMince piesMincesArmsChalk FarmsChalk FarmsHairBarnet FairBarnetHeadLoaf of breadLoafFaceBoat raceBoat raceMouthNorth and southNorth and south

Maybe you aren't aware that over the last maybe 10 years there has been a huge influx of people into NC, so there are many different US accents here.

I don't hear people use slang commonly at all, wheras in the UK , living amongst people with the same level of education and employment types it was everyday.
Friends we have here are from New York, Texas, California, Virginia and West Virginia, and they don't use slang, either when talking to us or to other friends/aquaintances. Whereas if we are speaking to them I will use some slang words (it's still habitual) and then realise I'm getting blank looks.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:58 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,337,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
I say it all the time!
I say it and I'm a bloody Yank!

Old 02-28-2011, 10:01 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,337,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acebritty View Post
brissol (bristol) here. living in the us at present though.

off the top a mi ed, phrases i actually still use

bobs yer uncle
well i be a monkeys uncle
well i never......
oh for petes sake
bloody nora
Except for uncle bob and nora, most Americans use know those phrases as well...

Old 03-01-2011, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Which means we have far more accents.
Again, I don't agree. The UK is far smaller and just because your accents are tighter packed doesn't mean you have "more accents". I'd argue the opposite, in fact - because the US is bigger, it has more cities and areas with different regional accents.

Quote:
I think you pointed out about 2.
As an example. There are far, FAR too many US regional accents to list all or even most! I wouldn't even know where to begin if you wanted me to start listing them all.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:49 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,443,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I have heard a few of these expressions but then again I live in the Cotswolds and quite a few people in Oxfordshire and Gloucerstershire are like a Colonel out of an Agatha Christie novel in certain circles, especially the "horsey set" .

I go to Polo games in summer and both "Cheerio" and "I say my good fellow" seem if not commonly used as such in reasonably "normal" usage. I find it quite funny and sweet at the same time.

I have used quite a few PG Wodehouse-ish expressions in jest before and been surprised that some people seem to use it as the norm. I suppose it is quite cute. A lot of "Rather" and "Jolly Good" in my neck of the woods.

Some Oxford "Young Fogeys" seem to love to use some of those words, like "spiffing" and " what ho ! " . It is an affectation for most but I certainly prefer it to swear words I must admit.
I absolutely LOVE Wodehouse...read everything of his available and watched the series on TV. Every time I watch House MD with Hugh Laurie, I half expect him to be the goof in Wodehouse's stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
I guess I'm hanging out with the wrong crowd LOL! I've seriously never heard anyone talk like this! I hear "cheers" a lot (instead of "Thank-you") which I find kinda neat.
My ex-husband who was from the Oxfordshire area used Cheers a lot, as did his Mother.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Again, I don't agree. The UK is far smaller and just because your accents are tighter packed doesn't mean you have "more accents". I'd argue the opposite, in fact - because the US is bigger, it has more cities and areas with different regional accents.

As an example. There are far, FAR too many US regional accents to list all or even most! I wouldn't even know where to begin if you wanted me to start listing them all.

No disrespect here, but I wish you would read the posts.

I didn't say 2 regional accents-do you really think anyone would think that?

I meant slang terms.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
No disrespect here, but I wish you would read the posts.

I didn't say 2 regional accents-do you really think anyone would think that?

I meant slang terms.
Then I wish you'd read mine. Because I listed more than 2. And mentioned they were just off the top of my head. But unlike you, I'm not going to waste my time listing as many regional slang terms as I can because frankly, this is getting rather petty. No disrespect here but you're the one who thinks Manchester isn't in the north which goes against everything I've heard from anyone in the country (even outside Manchester) since I've been here...so I'm not convinced you have very good perspective on this stuff.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Then I wish you'd read mine. Because I listed more than 2. And mentioned they were just off the top of my head. But unlike you, I'm not going to waste my time listing as many regional slang terms as I can because frankly, this is getting rather petty. No disrespect here but you're the one who thinks Manchester isn't in the north which goes against everything I've heard from anyone in the country (even outside Manchester) since I've been here...so I'm not convinced you have very good perspective on this stuff.

Actually-I find regional language differences quite fascinating and thought other people might too, but maybe I'm wrong.
I was hoping to gain an insight into American slang terms.

No- I probably don't have a very good perspective- only lived in the UK for 46 yrs afterall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom