Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2012, 03:26 AM

670 posts, read 905,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Speak for yourself, but I know you're not the only person who lacks intellectual curiousity.
You call the OP's curiosity intellectual????

I'm gonna be polite and not make jokes about Kansas

Old 08-18-2012, 03:31 AM

670 posts, read 905,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Is it common for a person of pure British Isles descent not to have a single blue eyed extended family member?
Have mercy

Old 08-25-2012, 03:08 PM

11 posts, read 65,308 times
Quote:
I would probably say Danes and Norwegians look the most similar, I think the Dutch kinda have a unique look going on and Germans look pretty different from the people of the Isles. Genetic charts show that Danes and Norwegians fall somewhere in between Celtic and English people and Swedes.

Also the fairer looking Spanish and Portuguese people definitely resemble the Welsh quite a bit. And would you say due to the Roman occupation, some Britons look somewhat Italian especially in the south, I have seen quite a few Brits with 'Roman' noses. Though I've heard the occupation had very little genetic imprint, it's kinda hard to imagine it having none whatsoever.
Umm....what are you smoking? Danes & Norwegians look similar? but the Dutch distinct? You understand Scandinavians have more of a distinct look than any other Germanic country including Netherlands. Mostly head shape, and around the eye area, small almond shaped eyes are common in Scandinavia similar to this guy's eyes.

& others have even smaller eyes.

Average Brits look nothing like Danes or Norwegians. They aren't even decendent from Vikings much as often as claimed. This is a Dane & a swede, these are not faces found often in Britain

Even a dark haired Scandinavian looks pretty distinct from an average Brits

This is way more common in Britain than the above.

I'm tired of fantisizers portraying Brits as "Pure Germanics" a look at average Brits shows a different story. They are just as much celtic. Anglo Saxons would have looked much closer to modern Scandinavians than they do modern Brits.

Nordid phenotypes are not common in Britain at all, not even in the East as claimed. Most Brits have what anthroplogist call the "Atlantid" phenotype, something that is pretty foreign in most other Germanic countries. The British are mixed, simple as that. The English are only culturaly Germanic, and thats where it ends. Thats not to say that there aren't some rare Brits that can fit in countries like Sweden, Norway, or Denmark. They exist, but they are extremely rare. The majority of Brits would stand out in any Scandinavian country as foreign looking.

Last edited by Norsemen; 08-25-2012 at 03:37 PM..

Old 08-27-2012, 01:53 PM

711 posts, read 1,497,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxcolin View Post
Take the UK and the US. Irish heritage is celebrated as if people have some ancient link to the greatest civilization that ever existed. If the lies... sorry census statistics are to be believed then Ireland must have had a population of around 100 million at some point. There is no doubt that Americans over emphasize their Irish, Scottish, Italian roots while playing down their English/German roots. I've met people who are 1/8th Irish that talk as if they personally survived the potato famine.
This is very True about the Irish & Italians in North East America, why is that?

Your also right about people who are only 1/8th Irish that act like they just got off the boat from Ireland.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:30 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsemen View Post
Umm....what are you smoking? Danes & Norwegians look similar? but the Dutch distinct? You understand Scandinavians have more of a distinct look than any other Germanic country including Netherlands. Mostly head shape, and around the eye area, small almond shaped eyes are common in Scandinavia similar to this guy's eyes.

& others have even smaller eyes.

Average Brits look nothing like Danes or Norwegians. They aren't even decendent from Vikings much as often as claimed. This is a Dane & a swede, these are not faces found often in Britain

Even a dark haired Scandinavian looks pretty distinct from an average Brits

This is way more common in Britain than the above.

I'm tired of fantisizers portraying Brits as "Pure Germanics" a look at average Brits shows a different story. They are just as much celtic. Anglo Saxons would have looked much closer to modern Scandinavians than they do modern Brits.

Nordid phenotypes are not common in Britain at all, not even in the East as claimed. Most Brits have what anthroplogist call the "Atlantid" phenotype, something that is pretty foreign in most other Germanic countries. The British are mixed, simple as that. The English are only culturaly Germanic, and thats where it ends. Thats not to say that there aren't some rare Brits that can fit in countries like Sweden, Norway, or Denmark. They exist, but they are extremely rare. The majority of Brits would stand out in any Scandinavian country as foreign looking.
No offence but how can you study a local country that much? The Uk is a mini-melting pot we have africans, muslims everything. So to you to go around and say oh "his eyes are rounder and her eyes are wider" seriously who does that? I'm not trying to be rude but there really isn't any patterns. From what I can see all Scandinavian countries look the same and they look very similar to British people VERY similar. And Unbeknown to you I had a little laugh at your statement about vikings. Are you serious? Obviously you have never visited Scotland or Ireland because the places are teaming with Ginger-heads. There is no general British look because there are no British "tribes" as Britain and Ireland where only settled a few thousand years ago.

I will say this about eyes. The one country that stands out are the poles. You'd know one of them if you walked down the street.
Personally I can't tell the difference between your pictures.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Not really. The differences between being Thai or Icelandic for example are due to the landscape around you, the weather, values and popular culture. If somebody with Thai parents grew up in Iceland they would be influenced by Icelandic culture not Thai and that would be the norm for them. Bloodline is massively overrated. People here say that they are Irish or Italian or German etc but they are all fundamentally American in education and exposure. They have nothing more in common with those cultures than I do.
Exactly.

Although, I will say that if your country that you were born in is similar in culture/heritage to your ancestry then it would be easier to mix in than if it was different for example an Indian Brit is not fully absorbed into British society as much as somebody with say Australian ancestors. My Northern Irish friend born and bread has a slight Indian tinge to her accent for example.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
Too right. If you listen to people 80% of Americans have Cherokee ancestors (for some reason it's always Cherokee)
No Its Irish. When we went to southern florida we couldn't walk 5 feet without seeing some weirdo coming up and saying "oh ma gad are you from Ireland? Ma gggggggg granny is from there".

Old 08-27-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxcolin View Post
Are some people trying to miss the point? Ethnicity is a tenuous concept at best. An artificial construct to make people believe they are more interesting. Take the UK and the US. Irish heritage is celebrated as if people have some ancient link to the greatest civilization that ever existed. If the lies... sorry census statistics are to be believed then Ireland must have had a population of around 100 million at some point. There is no doubt that Americans over emphasize their Irish, Scottish, Italian roots while playing down their English/German roots. I've met people who are 1/8th Irish that talk as if they personally survived the potato famine. And to compare Scots/Irish to Spanish. The cultures couldn't be more different. But like I say. It makes people happy to be different. Me, I was born on an island that happened to be called Britain at the time. That's as much sentimentality as I have to this ridiculous notion of ethnicity.
Well not entirely but over 3 million Irish people settled in America. That is alot. And as people have kids and families expand you can see how the numbers would grow.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendof302 View Post
Explain why you feel this way?
Religion. Black=protestant he was being sarcastic.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:48 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
I would probably say Danes and Norwegians look the most similar, I think the Dutch kinda have a unique look going on and Germans look pretty different from the people of the Isles. Genetic charts show that Danes and Norwegians fall somewhere in between Celtic and English people and Swedes.

Also the fairer looking Spanish and Portuguese people definitely resemble the Welsh quite a bit. And would you say due to the Roman occupation, some Britons look somewhat Italian especially in the south, I have seen quite a few Brits with 'Roman' noses. Though I've heard the occupation had very little genetic imprint, it's kinda hard to imagine it having none whatsoever.
This may seem strange, but I keep misidentifying Irish in the US as Estonian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom