Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2012, 07:09 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear&Whiskey View Post
Then why do you care how St.Patrick's Day is celebrated or by whom? Do you take offence to the fact that many people at last week-end's Notting Hill Carnival couldn't point to the Carribean on the map? If not, why not? Why is this special distaste reserved for those who partake in celebrating St.Patrick's Day? Please elaborate....

As for prejudcie perhaps prejudice was the wrong word but condescending snobbery of the highest order most certainly.
At no point have I mentioned being offended, that I have a level of distaste nor have I said I cared. Commenting and caring are not the same thing. I comment on the colour of peoples cars and peoples front gardens but that doesn't equate to caring. Saying to a friend that painting yourself green and speaking with an Irish accent for the day seems a bit over the top for a bricklayer from Devon doesn't mean that I care, it's an observation.

You really need to relax a bit. Have a nice cup of tea and a biscuit.... I am.

Oh, and if you keep hitting yourself on the forehead like that () your going to hurt yourself..

Old 08-28-2012, 07:19 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
Quote:
No, only from about four different posters on this very thread. Ooooh. How peculiar.

And from the aforementioned and inevitably apt Baldrick himself "I've heard and made the odd comment here and there over the years but that was about the fact that it's celebrated here in the UK so fervently by people that couldn't point at Dublin on a map".

Nothing like the "Some of my best friends are Irish" defence to prove you have no prejudice. KentMum you spring to defence of Baldrick saying you've never heard another Brit lambasting the Irish and after reading a tame litigation in confession from the very same poster.

I rest my case.
I was talking specifically about the celebration of St Patrick's day in England, all the quotes you cited are about people claiming Irish Heritage, nothing to do with anything I said.
As to the '"Some of my best friends are Irish" defence to prove you have no prejudice'. You seem to be implying that I am in someway prejudiced, hence a need to defend myself? 25% of Liverpuddlians are Irish or of Irish heritage- that's a fact. What's to defend? Are you saying I made up my past to make a point? I don't even know where prejudice comes into it.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:20 AM

1,068 posts, read 2,022,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
At no point have I mentioned being offended, that I have a level of distaste nor have I said I cared. Commenting and caring are not the same thing. I comment on the colour of peoples cars and peoples front gardens but that doesn't equate to caring. Saying to a friend that painting yourself green and speaking with an Irish accent for the day seems a bit over the top for a bricklayer from Devon doesn't mean that I care, it's an observation.

You really need to relax a bit. Have a nice cup of tea and a biscuit.... I am.

Oh, and if you keep hitting yourself on the forehead like that () your going to hurt yourself..
I get it now. It's not offensive as long as you don't care. Just put on a laid back stoner bummer persona, light up like it's Notting Hill Carnival all week long and just like, poke fun at whoever or whatever we please.

Sounds like a winner to me. Kettle boiled.Time to chill and light up and just peace out man.

Last edited by Fear&Whiskey; 08-28-2012 at 07:37 AM..

Old 08-28-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentmum View Post
I was talking specifically about the celebration of St Patrick's day in England, all the quotes you cited are about people claiming Irish Heritage, nothing to do with anything I said.
As to the '"Some of my best friends are Irish" defence to prove you have no prejudice'. You seem to be implying that I am in someway prejudiced, hence a need to defend myself? 25% of Liverpuddlians are Irish or of Irish heritage- that's a fact. What's to defend? Are you saying I made up my past to make a point? I don't even know where prejudice comes into it.
Okay, let's simplify things a little for mainstream consumption.

Right, I was merely pointing out the contradiction here where you sprang to the defence of Baldrick and used his post as an example in your argument that you have never heard anyone in Britain criticise people celebrating St.Patrick's Day when Baldrick himself has openly admitted that he has derided those who celebrate St.Patrick's Day but "can't point to Dublin on the map" on these very pages of CD.

And by cutting my quote in your response to a convenient bite sized portion doesn't help add weight to your sentiments. I think the quotes that you have omitted speak forthemselves and their absence from your selective response undermines your argument (or what pale resemblance it bears to one anyhow). When I responded to your post I at least had the courtesy to print the whole post I was responding to.

Balders is also strangely reluctant to answer my question as to whether he holds white middle-class youths celebrating the Notting-Hill Carnival to the same high watermark in authenticity or propensity to be able to familiarise oneself with the georgraphical proximity of the traditions and cultures on display at the carnival within a 2 mile radius proximity to the precise locations they emanate from on a Carribean or African map.

If they don't I'm sure they'll be ripe for some gentle 'ribbing'. But as we've now verified you can say what you damn well please and make any slur that you like as long as you don't care. All bets are off when you're poking fun at the Irish. Fill your boots! And as long as you don't care...Ignorance is bliss, an apt epiphet for this thread.

Last edited by Fear&Whiskey; 08-28-2012 at 07:52 AM..

Old 08-28-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:

Right, I was merely pointing out the contradiction here where you sprang to the defence of Baldrick and used his post as an example in your argument that you have never heard anyone in Britain criticise people celebrating St.Patrick's Day when Baldrick himself has openly admitted that he has derided those who celebrate St.Patrick's Day but "can't point to Dublin on the map" on these very pages of CD.

But why have you cut and pasted your response to a convenient bite sized portion? I think the quotes that you have omitted speak forthemselves and their absence from your selective response undermines your argument (or what pale resemblance it bears to one anyhow). When I responded to your post I at least had the courtesy to print the whole post I was responding to.

He is also strangely reluctant to answer my question as to whether he holds white middle-class youths celebrating the Notting-Hill Carnival to the same high watermark in authenticity or propensity to be able to familiarise oneself with the georgraphical proximity of the traditions and cultures on display at the carnival within a 2 mile radius proximity to the precise locations they emanate from on a Carribean or African map.

If they don't I'm sure they'll be ripe for some gentle 'ribbing'. But as we've now verified you can say what you damn well please and make any slur that you like as long as you don't care. All bets are off when you're poking fun at the Irish. Fill your boots! And as long as you don't care...Ignorance is bliss, an apt epiphet for this thread.
That wasn't my argument. You are not reading the words. I said "Never in my life have I ever heard any Brit 'lambasting' any Irish-American for celebrating St Patricks Day".

I deleted / omitted quotes because as I said, they bear no relevance.

You brought the Notting Hill Carnival into the discussion. Nobody else has even mentioned it. Baldrick probably didn't answer because he didn't have a clue what you were on about.

Neither myself or Baldrick were poking fun at the Irish - you were poking fun at the Irish.

Last edited by Cruithne; 08-28-2012 at 08:06 AM..

Old 08-28-2012, 07:58 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,262 times
Quote:

And by cutting my quote in your response to a convenient bite sized portion doesn't help add weight to your sentiments. I think the quotes that you have omitted speak forthemselves and their absence from your selective response undermines your argument (or what pale resemblance it bears to one anyhow). When I responded to your post I at least had the courtesy to print the whole post I was responding to.

Balders is also strangely reluctant to answer my question as to whether he holds white middle-class youths celebrating the Notting-Hill Carnival to the same high watermark in authenticity or propensity to be able to familiarise oneself with the georgraphical proximity of the traditions and cultures on display at the carnival within a 2 mile radius proximity to the precise locations they emanate from on a Carribean or African map.

Your one strange fruit..

Old 08-28-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
That wasn't my argument. You are not reading the words. I said "Never in my life have I ever heard any Brit 'lambasting' any Irish-American for celebrating St Patricks Day".

I deleted omitted quotes because as I said, they bear no relevance.

You brought the Notting Hill Carnival into the discussion. Nobody else has even mentioned it. Baldrick probably didn't answer because he didn't have a clue what you were on about.

Neither myself or Baldrick were poking fun at the Irish - you were poking fun at the Irish.
Again more of these petty technicalities and deviations as if we're in front of a stuffy old judge blowing cobwebs off a dusty old law book and referring a sleep starved jury to an exasperated point of order about as relevant to the matter at hand as the price of cheese on the moon.

Or is it a pantomime now "Oh yes you did, oh no you didn't". Did you call me ****? No, you called me *** and around and around we go on the magical roundabout of tedium and mediocrity. It has been fascinating Kentmum, sincerely it has.

So to cut a long story short you've never heard any Brit lambasting an Irish-American for celebrating St.Patrick's Day? Which renders all other slurs and condecending sneers about the Irish, St.Patrick's Day and the patato famine redundant, er, how exactly?

Educate me....

Old 08-28-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Again more of these petty technicalities and deviations as if we're in front of a stuffy old judge blowing cobwebs off a dusty old law book and referring a sleep starved jury to an exasperated point of order about as relevant to the matter at hand as the price of cheese on the moon.

Or is it a pantomime now "Oh yes you did, oh no you didn't". Did you call me ****? No, you called me *** and around and around we go on the magical roundabout of tedium and mediocrity. It has been fascinating Kentmum, sincerely it has.

So to cut a long story short you've never heard any Brit lambasting an Irish-American for celebrating St.Patrick's Day? Which renders all other slurs and condecending sneers about the Irish, St.Patrick's Day and the patato famine redundant, er, how exactly?

Educate me....
Frankly Fear&Whiskey I made my very simple point about 10 posts ago. I don't feel like going all over the same thing, all over again just for you. I've got a day to get on with. If you want to know the answer just read it all again. Thanks. I'm off to make my kids sandwiches...

Old 08-28-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Frankly Fear&Whiskey I made my very simple point about 10 posts ago. I don't feel like going all over the same thing, all over again just for you. I've got a day to get on with. If you want to know the answer just read it all again. Thanks. I'm off to make my kids sandwiches...
Thanks for the memo. Just don't ham it up too much and go easy with the cheese. Apologies, didn't know I was getting between a child and his sandwich.

Yowsa!

Old 09-02-2012, 09:43 AM

330 posts, read 432,446 times
I will continue to deride people who celebrate St. Patricks day. For one because the very notion of a patron saint is a ludicrous anachronism. I reserve special derision for the plastic paddies in the UK and the US. I certainly won't stop because someone has an enormous chip on their shoulder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom