Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 05:58 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,066,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
But what is shown in the UK about Singapore??
Not much, but that does not mean they do not have a major connection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 06:04 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,828,111 times
British TV shows like Downtown Abbey arent shown on Singapore TV

British movie are not widely shown in cinemas here too.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:32 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,165,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
British TV shows like Downtown Abbey arent shown on Singapore TV

British movie are not widely shown in cinemas here too.
There aren't massive cultural similarities, the main binding force is trade and financial markets. Singapore was where rogue trader Nick Lesson bought down Barings Bank from and is well known as a financial centre.

Our relationship with Singapore has always been very much based on trade and that equally applies to the early days of the British East India Company and Empire, as it does today.

In terms of wealthy Ex-Pats living in Singapore there are plenty of sporting clubs, restaurants and entertainment to keep them happy.

British Club | Singapore

The Tanglin Club Singapore l History

Singapore Cricket Club

Singapore Polo Club

Hollandse Club | more than a club

The American Club

The Singapore Island Country Club

Laguna National | Championship Golf . Social & Recreation . Dining . Spa

The Pines | Singapore

Raffles Marina. Aseanarean's Premier Marina, Country Club and Nautical Lifestyle Centre

ONE15 Marina Club | Asia

Raffles Town Club - Homepage

Raffles Hotels and Resorts | Official Site | Luxury Hotels and Resorts

Singapore's social and sporting clubs: Our guide to member's clubs - Expat Living Singapore

The BA Home Page

BBC News - Working Lives Singapore: Expat

Expat property: where to live in Singapore - Telegraph

Last edited by Bamford; 05-15-2014 at 07:04 AM..

Old 05-17-2014, 07:08 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,808,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I don't think there is any connection between Briton today and Singapore, I never hear of Singapore in the media and couldn't tell you one famous Singaporian (in fact I don't even know if 'Singaporian' is correct lol), Im no expert but I imagine that the closest (and I don't just mean in distance) 'Anglo' nation to Singapore these days would be Australia?
There just aren't that many famous Singaporeans for some reason. Singapore is a semi-Anglo nation. About 40% of people speak English as their main language. It has more first language speakers than anywhere in mainland Europe by percentage, by far. Nowhere in the former British Empire in Asia is more westernised than Singapore.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:10 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,808,250 times
Quote:
Yea I didn't think much would be shown. I don't see Singapore as like the UK at all.
There are definite similarities. I've been to both, I should know. I've lived under the 'shadow' of the British Empire in Australia too.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:41 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,884,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
There are definite similarities. I've been to both, I should know. I've lived under the 'shadow' of the British Empire in Australia too.
But the thing is though i'm actually a British citizen i've lived my entire life here, you haven't.

Even looking at Singapore on street view shows that it is totally different. Ok maybe some them speak English.. but again that is a minority..

Old 05-17-2014, 11:56 AM

16,674 posts, read 17,440,619 times
Quote:
But the thing is though i'm actually a British citizen i've lived my entire life here, you haven't.

Even looking at Singapore on street view shows that it is totally different. Ok maybe some them speak English.. but again that is a minority..
But how much of that time has been spent way up in your corner of Northern Ireland?

Old 05-17-2014, 12:21 PM

8,492 posts, read 6,897,485 times
Couple of kind of famous Singaporeans with some Brit bloodlines. Bonnie Hicks. Well known model and author. British dad. Grew up on Blakan Mati now know as Sentosa. Died in a plane crash in the 90's. Melody Chen. British and Thai bloodline. Actress. TV personality.

Old 05-17-2014, 12:22 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
I'm just not seeing how Singapore is similar to the UK besides superficial similarities and fact that Singaporeans use British vocabulary when speaking English? Like my mom's Singaporean friend calls the portable light a torch, not a flashlight. Besides that, pretty much Chinese through and through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
But how much of that time has been spent way up in your corner of Northern Ireland?
His entire life

Old 05-17-2014, 12:31 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,884,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
At the young age of 18 I have visited 10 different countries and 2 continents. The very very large majority my age will not have seen that.

Now please stop. I do not get you middle age/old people who get at young people/teenagers for being adventurous and criticising us for our knowledge when you were in-fact a teenager before and probably had poorer knowledge of worldwide countries.
Oh and by the way my grandparents are both in their 70's and they have not been to any near the number of countries that I have visited so experience does NOT come with age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom