Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 05:40 AM

16,701 posts, read 17,481,347 times

Advertisements

Mac- one thing you truly have failed to grasp is that when you are in a hole stop digging.

At the current rate you must be well on your way to the antipodes by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 06:10 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,924,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Of course there will be differences, we're talking about the similarities. One could say the say about many parts of the Anglosphere.

For instance Los Angeles...different landscape to the UK, far away, religion - majority Catholic, surnames, a lot of Hispanic names, blah blah...
Well Singapore is 7,000 miles away and Los Angeles is 5,000 its a lot closer and a lot more like here.

Los Angeles is an anglo area and even if it has Spanish speakers its not exactly Mexico. Whether you like it or not Singapore is absolutely NOTHING like here.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:34 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,830,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Well Singapore is 7,000 miles away and Los Angeles is 5,000 its a lot closer and a lot more like here.

Los Angeles is an anglo area and even if it has Spanish speakers its not exactly Mexico. Whether you like it or not Singapore is absolutely NOTHING like here.
I have my doubts about whether UK Singapore ties are still strong, but having never been to my country, how can you make a conclusion Singapore is nothing like UK ??

Just by YouTube videos and blogs and friends or relatives accounts ??

Old 05-20-2014, 07:11 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,850,363 times
Quote:

I already mentioned some ways which it is like Britain, so obviously it's not 'nothing' like the UK.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:37 AM

Its in Asia it is a foreign country thousands and thousands and thousands of miles away. Seriously it is not like here at all.

Maybe if they all spoke English and their climate was a bit more like the UK then maybe I would consider saying that but it isn't. We rarely bother with them or even consider/think about them.

How is this:https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@1.308...K-eTObAkaw!2e0
Like this:https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.47...CmToJv99gQ!2e0

Its simply not.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:56 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,251,475 times
Quote:
1. Ireland.
2. Spain.
3. USA.
4. Canada.
5. Italy.
6. France.
7. Vatican city.
8. England.
9. Scotland.
10. Wales.

lol but I have still visited 7 individual countries and two continents.

I'm going to be picky here and claim 6. England, Scotland and Wales are part of the UK; Vatican City (while technically separate) still had no official border. I have been there too but I wouldn't claim visiting the country of Vatican city! Not that it really matters. .

Old 05-20-2014, 08:03 AM

16,701 posts, read 17,481,347 times
He's still digging!

Old 05-20-2014, 08:04 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,251,475 times
Quote:

Mileage is irrelevant. LA is not an "anglo area". California was a Spanish colony, and considered part of Mexico until the mid 19th century. Its pretty much majority Spanish speaking now and has hardly any cultural commonalities with Britain. Singapore, like Malaysia, are totally different now (and would argue have no "ties or binds" with the UK at all) but you can't deny British influence.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3.14 View Post
Mileage is irrelevant. LA is not an "anglo area". California was a Spanish colony, and considered part of Mexico until the mid 19th century. Its pretty much majority Spanish speaking now and has hardly any cultural commonalities with Britain. Singapore, like Malaysia, are totally different now (and would argue have no "ties or binds" with the UK at all) but you can't deny British influence.
Los Angeles is part of the United States now not Mexico.

It is half and half Spanish and English with some Spanish speakers also speaking English but they are concentrated. I don't even know what the point of this is when there are parts of the USA like the UK...

Its not really a good comparison.

And California is not majority Spanish speaking. Its 60% English speaking.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:36 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,991,075 times
Quote:
Los Angeles is part of the United States now not Mexico.

It is half and half Spanish and English with some Spanish speakers also speaking English but they are concentrated. I don't even know what the point of this is when there are parts of the USA like the UK...

Its not really a good comparison.

And California is not majority Spanish speaking. Its 60% English speaking.
I agree. If you want to find similarities to Britain in the US, California is a very poor example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
English widely spoken, an official language and medium of most things? Check

Common Law? Check

Westminster style parliamentary system? Check

Colonial buildings? Check

Presence of Christianity, specifically Anglicanism? Check

Country clubs? Check

British street names? Check

Plus it's not only Chinese. Don't ignore the significant Malay and Indian influence.
So it is in Kenya, does that make Kenya British? lol

So does Malaysia. Doesn't seem very British to me.

Lots of countries have a Westminster style parliamentary system these days. They don't call it that, but it's similar, like Japan's Diet.

Buildings don't speak

Only a scant 18% of Singaporeans describe themselves as Christian, compared to 29% in South Korea, a country never touched by Britain

Country clubs? Really?

Los Angeles has "British" streetnames too.

Even worse, lol. That dilutes the "Britishness" even more.

Come on Postman, just admit that Singapore is thoroughly Singaporean in pretty much everything. That's nothing to be ashamed of, having your own identity, without having to cling on to someone else's. Like I said in my previous post, the ties Singapore has to be the UK are superficial at best. The Philippines has more ties to Spain and Latin America than Singapore does to the UK, to illustrate my point.

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 05-20-2014 at 12:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom