Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 12:59 PM

16,707 posts, read 17,486,636 times

Advertisements

I'm not on about foreign countries, I'm on about other parts of the UK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 02:09 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,252,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
At the young age of 18 I have visited 10 different countries and 2 continents. The very very large majority my age will not have seen that.

Now please stop. I do not get you middle age/old people who get at young people/teenagers for being adventurous and criticising us for our knowledge when you were in-fact a teenager before and probably had poorer knowledge of worldwide countries.
Oh and by the way my grandparents are both in their 70's and they have not been to any near the number of countries that I have visited so experience does NOT come with age.
The UK is one country so you're down to 6, and Ireland is in Europe so you have visited 1 continent )

Old 05-17-2014, 02:18 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,928,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3.14 View Post
The UK is one country so you're down to 6, and Ireland is in Europe so you have visited 1 continent )
1. Ireland.
2. Spain.
3. USA.
4. Canada.
5. Italy.
6. France.
7. Vatican city.
8. England.
9. Scotland.
10. Wales.

lol but I have still visited 7 individual countries and two continents.

Old 05-17-2014, 03:11 PM

16,707 posts, read 17,486,636 times
Stop.

You accused Postman of not knowing the UK very well and that you had been a citizen of the UK all your life.

I'm asking you again what parts of the UK you are familiar with other than where you live?

Old 05-17-2014, 08:22 PM

598 posts, read 958,161 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRNt1QJ8j2g

Old 05-18-2014, 08:51 AM

13,512 posts, read 9,067,022 times
Quote:
At the young age of 18 I have visited 10 different countries and 2 continents. The very very large majority my age will not have seen that.

Now please stop. I do not get you middle age/old people who get at young people/teenagers for being adventurous and criticising us for our knowledge when you were in-fact a teenager before and probably had poorer knowledge of worldwide countries.
Oh and by the way my grandparents are both in their 70's and they have not been to any near the number of countries that I have visited so experience does NOT come with age.
Well despite Mummy & Daddy taking you on holiday lots it hasn't broadened your horizons, or indeed given you any knowledge about other cultures (apart from what fast food you can get in theme parks)...

You don't even have the most basic knowledge about the UK, let alone other countries...

Old 05-20-2014, 04:25 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,856,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Well despite Mummy & Daddy taking you on holiday lots it hasn't broadened your horizons, or indeed given you any knowledge about other cultures (apart from what fast food you can get in theme parks)...

You don't even have the most basic knowledge about the UK, let alone other countries...
Pretty much. For someone boasting about how many countries he's visited at such a young age, he seems pretty clueless/ignorant at times...

Old 05-20-2014, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I'm just not seeing how Singapore is similar to the UK besides superficial similarities and fact that Singaporeans use British vocabulary when speaking English? Like my mom's Singaporean friend calls the portable light a torch, not a flashlight. Besides that, pretty much Chinese through and through.

His entire life

English widely spoken, an official language and medium of most things? Check

Common Law? Check

Westminster style parliamentary system? Check

Colonial buildings? Check

Presence of Christianity, specifically Anglicanism? Check

Country clubs? Check

British street names? Check

Plus it's not only Chinese. Don't ignore the significant Malay and Indian influence.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:51 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,928,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
English widely spoken, an official language and medium of most things? Check

Common Law? Check

Westminster style parliamentary system? Check

Colonial buildings? Check

Presence of Christianity, specifically Anglicanism? Check

Country clubs? Check

British street names? Check

Plus it's not only Chinese. Don't ignore the significant Malay and Indian influence.
Climate. X.

Landscape. X.

Distance. FAR AWAY. X.

Religion. X.

Surnames. X.

Heritage. X.

Accent. X.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Climate. X.

Landscape. X.

Distance. FAR AWAY. X.

Religion. X.

Surnames. X.

Heritage. X.

Accent. X.
Of course there will be differences, we're talking about the similarities. One could say the say about many parts of the Anglosphere.

For instance Los Angeles...different landscape to the UK, far away, religion - majority Catholic, surnames, a lot of Hispanic names, blah blah...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom