Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2021, 05:47 AM

2,420 posts, read 1,613,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
Wales will be playing Denmark on Saturday.
could be a classic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2021, 08:20 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,089,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
could be a classic
If Wales have to go out, then I would rather us go out against Denmark. They had an awful start to the tournament. It was shocking and upsetting to watch what happened to Christian Eriksen.

It’s good to hear that he’s ok now, and getting better. If all of the British teams end up getting knocked out of the Euros, then it would be nice to see Denmark winning it. They deserve a bit of good luck after what happened.

Old 06-22-2021, 04:47 PM

27,529 posts, read 13,741,741 times
England back at Wembley for the knock out stage.

I am genuinely sad Scotland didn't make it.

Old 06-22-2021, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

England play second placed team from a tough group, Germany, France and/or Portugal

i sense extra time and pens again

Old 06-23-2021, 03:57 AM

27,529 posts, read 13,741,741 times
Quote:
England play second placed team from a tough group, Germany, France and/or Portugal

i sense extra time and pens again
Possible - however at least we are at Wembley.

Old 06-23-2021, 04:28 AM

14,834 posts, read 12,112,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

I have to be honest I'm delighted they didn't make it, but its the Scots themselves thats made me feel this way, I will be delighted if Wales lose to Denmark too, but its the Welsh themselves thats made me feel this way, no doubt both the Scots and Welsh will be delighted when England (inevitably) fail and go crashing out. Then the whole of Britain can revel in British football failure, its what the self loathing bitter and twisted British deserve. Meanwhile the Germans, French or Italians will garner the full support of every man, woman and child in their respective countries and with the weight of support behind them one of them will ultimately succeed again and lift the title - meanwhile back here in the UK the Scots, Welsh and English will miserably try and console themselves that - we may be abject losers 'but at least the English/Scots/Welsh didn't win it'.

Old 06-23-2021, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I have to be honest I'm delighted they didn't make it, but its the Scots themselves thats made me feel this way, I will be delighted if Wales lose to Denmark too, but its the Welsh themselves thats made me feel this way, no doubt both the Scots and Welsh will be delighted when England (inevitably) fail and go crashing out. Then the whole of Britain can revel in British football failure, its what the self loathing bitter and twisted British deserve. Meanwhile the Germans, French or Italians will garner the full support of every man, woman and child in their respective countries and with the weight of support behind them one of them will ultimately succeed again and lift the title - meanwhile back here in the UK the Scots, Welsh and English will miserably try and console themselves that - we may be abject losers 'but at least the English/Scots/Welsh didn't win it'.
you accurately sum up the National identity issue as it pertains to UK football, its quite sad to read but I know it to be true Taking delight in the fact that someone else fails makes your own teams shortcomings easier to swallow

Old 06-23-2021, 12:10 PM

Well done England. Although, aren’t you up against a team from the ‘Group Of Death’?

Commiserations to Scotland… maybe next time…

Old 06-23-2021, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I won’t be “delighted” if England go crashing out. I will probably just think to myself “Well, there’s another one England messed up”.

There are over 56 million people living in England, and you will have a high number out of that, who will be supporting England in the Euros. You don’t actually need the Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish support! Yes, it would be nice in theory, but it is supposed to be competitive. If Wales were playing England, I can’t support both Wales and England in the match! There would be no point in that.

I do actually keep an eye on how England are doing. That’s about as much support as I give. If you got to the finals, I would suppport England in my own way. I can’t say I would be cheering England on, but I would probably want a British team to win over anyone else.

The thing that I have noticed with England, that is different to the rest of the home nations, is the continuous “It’s coming home!”, as if you are going to win the whole tournament! The media is mostly to blame for going on about it, but a lot of the fans get on board as well.

With the Welsh team, we just feel so lucky to even be there. You will hear the team say that they take one match at a time, and they don’t look too far into the future. Then when we actually get somewhere (like the semi finals last time), everyone is thrilled and can’t believe how lucky we’ve been.

With England, you have such a high expectation of actually winning the whole tournament (it’s the same with the World Cup too), that there is so much disappointment when you don’t get as far as you thought. I saw this sort of thing at the beginning of the Scotland match. The media were bigging the whole event up… and then it turned out to be a damb squib of a match.

Anyway, I will continue to keep an eye on England, just to see how you get on. You won’t hear me cheering or clapping, but I do wish you good luck.

Old 06-23-2021, 04:37 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,608,629 times
Quote:
you accurately sum up the National identity issue as it pertains to UK football, its quite sad to read but I know it to be true Taking delight in the fact that someone else fails makes your own teams shortcomings easier to swallow
You’re right in what you say and it’s a sad state of affairs when Englishmen are happy that some obscure team like Albania or Faroe Islands beat Wales, Scotland, or Northern Ireland.
I’ve always been of the opinion that if England are out, then I’ll throw my support behind any other home nation that is still in a tournament.
Yet British xenophobia doesn’t just exist about other countries, I’ve been in bars in Spain or Portugal when there’s been a match on TV, and I’ve innocently asked, “Who’s playing?”
Some southern or London Brit will say, “Ajax, (Dutch team), are playing Liverpool, and they’re all over the northern ba*tards.”
Yes it’s true, there are Londoners and Southerners who love it if a Northern English team is getting beat by anyone, and vice versa, if P.S.G. were playing Arsenal or West Ham, Northerners will root for P.S.G.
There’s an old saying over here, Scots support two teams, Scotland, and anyone playing against England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom