Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 07:08 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,128,773 times

Advertisements

OK, look, I love England and Scotland (and I guess Wales though I'm not all that familiar with it) but I did find this little tidbit funny:

"About 60 countries celebrate their Independence Day from the UK every year."

My goodness! That's interesting!

But back to Brexit, what do I know, I'm an American, but I say go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 08:26 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,762,957 times
I wish the UK had left with or without a deal. But that's just my gut feeling of not wanting to see them get pushed around by any greedy countries who want money and like to bark out orders. But this has turned into a chaotic disaster. No one knows the answer.

It's a toss up over whether the USA or the UK are more messed up right now. Both are torn and talking about civil war. But how can you say you're leaving and then not leave? That's humiliating. Time for a good night's sleep and maybe tomorrow will be a better day.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:50 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,744,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I wish the UK had left with or without a deal. But that's just my gut feeling of not wanting to see them get pushed around by any greedy countries who want money and like to bark out orders. But this has turned into a chaotic disaster. No one knows the answer.

It's a toss up over whether the USA or the UK are more messed up right now. Both are torn and talking about civil war. But how can you say you're leaving and then not leave? That's humiliating. Time for a good night's sleep and maybe tomorrow will be a better day.
I agree with you. I just don't know which country is more messed up at the present.

So far, the proposal that would have them out in 2021 sounds like the most sane proposal, least likely to do them damage and, hopefully we'd have someone capable of giving them a good trade deal, unlike the current crook.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:00 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,762,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I agree with you. I just don't know which country is more messed up at the present.

So far, the proposal that would have them out in 2021 sounds like the most sane proposal, least likely to do them damage and, hopefully we'd have someone capable of giving them a good trade deal, unlike the current crook.
More uneasiness and nail biting until 2121? Yikes. I keep hoping to hear that it's a done deal and they're out of the EU. Hope the US lasts until 2121 and that the idiot is gone. With an independent UK and fresh, new leadership in the US, things might start getting good again. Sweet trade deals.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
More uneasiness and nail biting until 2121? Yikes. I keep hoping to hear that it's a done deal and they're out of the EU. Hope the US lasts until 2121 and that the idiot is gone. With an independent UK and fresh, new leadership in the US, things might start getting good again. Sweet trade deals.
I think that the 2021 deal sounds like they can quit waiting for the other shoe to drop. In the meantime, we aren't that lucky unless our senators decide to grow up. Until that happens, Nancy won't allow the House to impeach.

After what he did to Canada, I see no good trade deals for us, unless the Queen gives him the carriage ride that he wanted last year. At that, we'd still have to renegotiate when he's gone.

I'm hoping that Theresa offers the EU the 2021 proposal and they take it. That would give 2 years to get trade deals in place with Canada, Australia, and New Zealand, at least.

ETA: I read about the new proposal earlier today. It's called something about a malthouse. I can't find it now.

Last edited by southbound_295; 03-13-2019 at 10:01 PM..

Old 03-13-2019, 10:22 PM

1,129 posts, read 471,550 times
Quote:
ETA: I read about the new proposal earlier today. It's called something about a malthouse. I can't find it now.
The EU dismissed that option some time ago and it was only submitted in desperation by the hardcore leavers.

It was rejected by parliament last night decisively by 374 votes to 164.

Common sense is now back in the room finally, it looks like the speaker may reject Theresa May’s last hope of putting her rejected deal to the house for a third time, if that happens there’s nothing really left but a general election or in all probability the unpalatable but obvious people’s vote.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
The EU dismissed that option some time ago and it was only submitted in desperation by the hardcore leavers.

It was rejected by parliament last night decisively by 374 votes to 164.

Common sense is now back in the room finally, it looks like the speaker may reject Theresa May’s last hope of putting her rejected deal to the house for a third time, if that happens there’s nothing really left but a general election or in all probability the unpalatable but obvious people’s vote.
Too bad. It seemed reasonable to me, but what can I say, the crook-in-chief couldn't bring himself to ban the 737 plane that everyone else was banning until just about everyone else had banned it. We aren't dealing with anything that resembles sanity here.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:50 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,431,616 times
It's time for CANZUK to become a reality.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:55 PM

15,881 posts, read 14,526,814 times
If Brexit actually completes, especially without a deal, with the idea Scottish independence get refloated. The Scotts wanted to stay in the EU. Would the last independence referendum had failed if the Scotts new Brexit was coming down the 'pike?

Old 03-14-2019, 12:30 AM

434 posts, read 248,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
If Brexit actually completes, especially without a deal, with the idea Scottish independence get refloated. The Scotts wanted to stay in the EU. Would the last independence referendum had failed if the Scotts new Brexit was coming down the 'pike?
It's not going to help, especially if the post Brexit UK tanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom