Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 09:04 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,447,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
I´m a capitalist, you get the life you make, I´ve worked hard and have a very good life.

I also care about other people and encourage people to do their best and also want a safety net for those that cant do better for whatever reason.

I dont agree with unbridled benefits, I dont agree with you saying the government needs to build houses, they dont, people need to take responsibility for their lives, where they live and their futures and pay their own way.

I have lived all over up north and it was very good to me and shaped my future and have seen poverty up close in city's like Manchester and Bradford, on first glance this looks to be from immigration but scratch a little deeper and its much more complex and from useless Governments not helping to rejuvenate areas after the closures of factories or pits and these once thriving areas are now struggling.

I understand peoples frustrations I had them too, but If I didnt like an area I moved on, if I didnt like a job I moved on, we all get one life and you know it goes very fast and I believe its best to spend your energy making it better than blaming other people.
I agree it is complex. There was a time when government was involved hugely in housing. Margaret Thatcher took a different tack, and sold off the best of council housing. Some in affluent areas made a killing, especially in London.

They decided housing should be more a private sector thing. They encouraged housing associations, and of course private builders. But, it just isn't enough. The demand is far more than supply, due in large part to unlimited immigration.

Land is very expensive. One of my son's works for a very well known property builder. In one of his complexes, each apartment costs £30,000 before a brick is laid, for the cost of the land. This is apartments, not houses. Some folks are doing very well out of things as they stand. Landlords especially.

The result? Home ownership just a dream for many. Extortion rates for rents unaffordable. We have to take the profit out of housing for folks at the bottom of the pile. The only way is for government to build, and make rents affordable. As it is, the taxpayer is dishing out £25 BILLION a year in rent support. Nice little earner for landlords huh? That money should be going into house building, not the pockets of landlords.

But, we can only build when immigration is brought under control, or we just end up housing the world. We need an end to free movement from the EU, and the outside world as well. It has to end, or at least brought down to the 10,000 a year the Tories constantly promoted as their target.

Unrest is fermenting in many parts of this nation. We have to give genuine hope to the many, not the few. Sure, you're just fine. You remind me of my eldest son, a guy who always does well, and makes a good living. We have many here who have just given up hope for a decent future. We can listen, or carry on ignoring them at our peril. Throwing them crumbs off the table isn't enough anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
If you actually ask the young people though rather than speaking for them you'll find that most wanted to remain in the EU. It was the oldest groups who voted most heavily to leave. Its a case of older groups who don't like change and hanker after the past taking away the rights and opportunities of the young people
Many of the young suffer from Stockholm Syndrome. I saw a video of a young girl crying because she thought she would be losing Nando's by leaving the EU. The EU is all they know, and fear leaving.

Plus maybe next time, they'll put their phones down, and actually go and vote. Luckily, the adults did go and vote, and the vote was to leave the EU.

Older groups don't like change? We have had change shoved down our throats for decades, and see nothing but decline for many parts of the country, and invasion by foreigners making even affording to rent a flea pit unaffordable.

My country was changed without permission. We have been told to shut up and take it for long enough. Time for the citizens of this country to move up the pecking order.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:17 AM

1,129 posts, read 471,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I agree it is complex. There was a time when government was involved hugely in housing. Margaret Thatcher took a different tack, and sold off the best of council housing. Some in affluent areas made a killing, especially in London.

They decided housing should be more a private sector thing. They encouraged housing associations, and of course private builders. But, it just isn't enough. The demand is far more than supply, due in large part to unlimited immigration.

Land is very expensive. One of my son's works for a very well known property builder. In one of his complexes, each apartment costs £30,000 before a brick is laid, for the cost of the land. This is apartments, not houses. Some folks are doing very well out of things as they stand. Landlords especially.

The result? Home ownership just a dream for many. Extortion rates for rents unaffordable. We have to take the profit out of housing for folks at the bottom of the pile. The only way is for government to build, and make rents affordable. As it is, the taxpayer is dishing out £25 BILLION a year in rent support. Nice little earner for landlords huh? That money should be going into house building, not the pockets of landlords.

But, we can only build when immigration is brought under control, or we just end up housing the world. We need an end to free movement from the EU, and the outside world as well. It has to end, or at least brought down to the 10,000 a year the Tories constantly promoted as their target.

Unrest is fermenting in many parts of this nation. We have to give genuine hope to the many, not the few. Sure, you're just fine. You remind me of my eldest son, a guy who always does well, and makes a good living. We have many here who have just given up hope for a decent future. We can listen, or carry on ignoring them at our peril. Throwing them crumbs off the table isn't enough anymore.
Offering people subsided housed perpetuates the problem, it should be every single persons responsibility to house themselves.

Council houses should be for the disabled or those in society that really need our help.

If its too expensive in your area you have to move somewhere else.

Council houses should be on constant review, we all see people who are way beyond needing help with very expensive cars on their drives living great lives on the backs of the tax payer, its wrong.

By holding peoples hands the way you want, you are not giving them hope of a decent future, you are enslaving them with benefits and dependency and taking away any self respect they have.

I've said before, its not the EU that causes immigration to the UK its the UK nanny state, they drive straight through the rest of Europe, ask yourself why !

Old 04-03-2019, 09:27 AM

1,877 posts, read 680,487 times
Quote:
Many of the young suffer from Stockholm Syndrome. I saw a video of a young girl crying because she thought she would be losing Nando's by leaving the EU. The EU is all they know, and fear leaving.

Plus maybe next time, they'll put their phones down, and actually go and vote. Luckily, the adults did go and vote, and the vote was to leave the EU.

Older groups don't like change? We have had change shoved down our throats for decades, and see nothing but decline for many parts of the country, and invasion by foreigners making even affording to rent a flea pit unaffordable.

My country was changed without permission. We have been told to shut up and take it for long enough. Time for the citizens of this country to move up the pecking order.
It's quite arrogant to say you know what is best for those young people better than they know themselves. You are not going to bring back jobs in coal mines and toothpaste factories whether in the EU or not, the world has moved on and people need to move on with it keeping their skills up to date and relevant for the modern economy. If they do that then they will be fine, and will benefit from the vastly greater opportunities that there are these days. The world isn't going to stop turning just because we leave the EU, it will still be spinning but we will just be poorer while it spins.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
Offering people subsided housed perpetuates the problem, it should be every single persons responsibility to house themselves.

Council houses should be for the disabled or those in society that really need our help.

If its too expensive in your area you have to move somewhere else.

Council houses should be on constant review, we all see people who are way beyond needing help with very expensive cars on their drives living great lives on the backs of the tax payer, its wrong.

By holding peoples hands the way you want, you are not giving them hope of a decent future, you are enslaving them with benefits and dependency and taking away any self respect they have.

I've said before, its not the EU that causes immigration to the UK its the UK nanny state, they drive straight through the rest of Europe, ask yourself why !
How can many house themselves, when wages are too low to afford the extortion scale rents? It doesn't help immigrants living 12 to a house, sharing the cost of the rent. Is that how you think our people should live?

We need someone to break the stranglehold of landlords able to charge whatever they want. The private house builders can't build affordable homes, when they are paying a fortune for land. We need someone with a lot more power, and that is government.

Too expensive in your area, so move somewhere else? It's too expensive almost everywhere in the country. Oh, it's not too expensive for the well off, who many own two homes. You know, a nice cottage in a country village, they visit some weekends. Doing this, has managed to push local people away from areas they were born in, because incomers have forced up the price of housing beyond the reach of locals.

Many of the former working class have fallen into despair and degeneracy. This didn't happen overnight. The rich have done very well for decades. They love the EU. Plenty of cheap labour on tap. We are heading for major conflict in this country. We have to try and stop it happening, not just keep sleep walking into it.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:33 AM

2,639 posts, read 2,000,339 times
Quote:
many of the young feel no one cares about them at all.
There was that fellow who posted that he doesn't care about the UK. And I suspect that that is the attitude of the mandarins of the EU.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
There was that fellow who posted that he doesn't care about the UK. And I suspect that that is the attitude of the mandarins of the EU.
Yes, us leaving affects the bottom line. That's all that concerns them. They know the effects of unlimited immigration upon my country. They don't give a damn. All they can do, is sit on their perches squawking 'four pillars. four pillars.'

Their attitude this last three years has hardened many resolves here. We have to be free of them, whatever the cost.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:42 AM

What did you expect them to do? Give the UK a special break so it alone out of all the countries in the EU could stop people from the other member states coming to live and work there? Why would they do that? There is 'unlimited migration' within the EU for all 28 countries not just the UK, and there are many positive things that come with that.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
What did you expect them to do? Give the UK a special break so it alone out of all the countries in the EU could stop people from the other member states coming to live and work there? Why would they do that? There is 'unlimited migration' within the EU for all 28 countries not just the UK, and there are many positive things that come with that.
Nope, I expected nothing from them, that's why I voted to leave.

Positive things? You mean cheap labour for employers, and unaffordable housing for the rest?

Old 04-03-2019, 09:55 AM

More builders to build those houses for one thing, more workers for everywhere from NHS to salad picking, more variety of products available in shops due to foods etc they bring with them, more interesting neighborhoods with people from a wider variety of backgrounds, more young workers to pay the pensions and healthcare of the increasing numbers of elderly, many more opportunities for our young people to enrich their lives by going to work or study in Germany, Spain, France etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom