Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 07:31 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,712,034 times

Advertisements

What time are they going to held Vote in the Parliament on this issue ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 07:43 AM

1,129 posts, read 472,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
It can't be resolved through a referendum. 17M voted in the last referendum, you will be silencing their voices. 17M people who feel disenfranchised from the political system. You think they're going to just hop skip lah-di-dah back in line? I got news for you, they won't. They'll be just as mad, just as innovative and just as determined to tear down the second referendum as the remainers were the first if it doesn't go their way, and the remainers will do it all over again if they lose another. That's not fixing the problem, its throwing gasoline on a fire.

Here's the problem, and you're part of it. People are fine with democratic votes as long as it chooses the option they like. That applies to both sides, and applies to pretty much every democracy. It's not getting better either.
A referendum isn't silencing the people it's actually clarifying what they want.

A no deal Brexit was never voted upon but this is the only option left on the table.

There are 66 million people in the UK and If the majority want this type of Brexit this is what will happen.

It's going to be interesting tonight, thankfully Corbyn looks about to accept reality and will hopefully announce he's not going to support an election at this point in time.

That closes down Boris's chance of an election and then try to push to after the 31st of October.

Parliament and I suspect the public at large will not accept a no deal Brexit.

The only way to find out is ask ?

Old 09-03-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
What time are they going to held Vote in the Parliament on this issue ??
Should be 10pm.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:46 PM

703 posts, read 448,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Good to see you guys are playing nice while I´m away in Spain..........

Still going round in circles, but it´s endlessly fascinating. The parrots are still squawking for a second referendum, which makes me smile.

Keep up the good work. I´ll return to the fray on Sunday.

Hope the vote tonight didn't spoil your holiday Dave.

Old 09-03-2019, 11:54 PM

434 posts, read 249,226 times
Delay and general election is is then.

The mess continues to get messier.

Old 09-04-2019, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glokta View Post
Delay and general election is is then.

The mess continues to get messier.
Probably a delay, referendum, then election, otherwise we’ll be back to the same point in January.

Old 09-04-2019, 12:29 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,299,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
A referendum isn't silencing the people it's actually clarifying what they want.

A no deal Brexit was never voted upon but this is the only option left on the table.

There are 66 million people in the UK and If the majority want this type of Brexit this is what will happen.
It's not clarifying if the new referendum offers the same two choices either with, or without new alternatives. No matter how many times you claim it is. The only new referendum that only clarifies would be one that does not provide a remain option, because remain has already been defeated. That's not going to happen, because the politicians won't provide that referendum, and you likely agree with them

Therefore its ignoring their political votes. You don't feel aggrieved if you go out with friends in Vegas, you decide to go to to the Bellagio, but before you get there, just to make sure, everyone has another vote and chooses Fiesta Rancho? You're totally cool with that, you feel your voice was heard? Or you organize a Mercedes rental, get to Hertz and they voted to give you a Ford Pinto. Nope.

Like I said, everyone is typically totally cool with democracy when it turns up results they agree with.

Yes there are 66M people in the UK, but they don't all get to vote, some are minors, some aren't eligible because they don't meet eligibility criteria, or have been excluded by law.thats not 66M people. Further people eligible to vote (like I was) who did not (like I did not, since I wasn't UK resident at the time) chose to abstain, it's pretty well known that if you don't vote your vote isn't counted. 17M people (the majority) voted to leave the EU unconditionally.

Old 09-04-2019, 12:33 AM

2,264 posts, read 980,665 times
“Too bad about Brexit,” said the chickens. “Yes, poor chap died by his own hand,” said the pigs as they wiped their knives on the dogs to throw off the scent even further.

Old 09-04-2019, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
It's not clarifying if the new referendum offers the same two choices either with, or without new alternatives. No matter how many times you claim it is. The only new referendum that only clarifies would be one that does not provide a remain option, because remain has already been defeated. That's not going to happen, because the politicians won't provide that referendum, and you likely agree with them

Therefore its ignoring their political votes. You don't feel aggrieved if you go out with friends in Vegas, you decide to go to to the Bellagio, but before you get there, just to make sure, everyone has another vote and chooses Fiesta Rancho? You're totally cool with that, you feel your voice was heard? Or you organize a Mercedes rental, get to Hertz and they voted to give you a Ford Pinto. Nope.

Like I said, everyone is typically totally cool with democracy when it turns up results they agree with.

Yes there are 66M people in the UK, but they don't all get to vote, some are minors, some aren't eligible because they don't meet eligibility criteria, or have been excluded by law.thats not 66M people. Further people eligible to vote (like I was) who did not (like I did not, since I wasn't UK resident at the time) chose to abstain, it's pretty well known that if you don't vote your vote isn't counted. 17M people (the majority) voted to leave the EU unconditionally.
We can continue with ping pong all day, every day but the facts remain a no deal Brext was not on the table at the original referendum, and given the massive shift in facts since then, going back to the people is not only the right thing to do, it's the only way forward.

A no deal Brexit will never pass parliament, no matter how many times you change prime minster or even government.

The only way forward is a referendum and a clear choice between keeping the status quo and leaving without a deal should be on the ballot paper.

It maybe uncomfortable for leavers after winning the original vote but its just the reality of the situation.

Old 09-04-2019, 01:30 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,463,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff956 View Post
Hope the vote tonight didn't spoil your holiday Dave.
Good morning Geoff...... I turned the telly on this morning, and saw the results of the vote last night. What a mess.

I saw Stephen Kinnock of Labour going on about another extension. Boris said he will not go to the EU asking for another extension under any circumstances.

All of a sudden, Labour don´t want a General Election. Not yet anyway. This has become the most awful mess, and like other´s have said, Pandora´s Box has been opened, and it can´t be closed.

As Gungnir said, folks are entrenched now, and the anger is not going to go away, no matter how this pans out in the end.

The EU refused to listen to our concerns about endless immigration to our small island. Just get on with it we were told. It is a rule of EU membership, and cannot be changed.

What is happening now, has been coming for a long time. Jeremy Corbyn, professional againster for decades concerning the EU, has now seen the light. He is fooling no one.

His time is over, but he just doesn´t know it yet. A General Election is coming soon, and he will not win it. If Boris Johnson can come to some sort of agreement with the Brexit party, he can win an election. He is a smart man, and will be weighing up his options.

I will say one thing that made me laugh yesterday. Theresa May sat on the back benches smiling like a Cheshire cat..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom