Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2017, 12:46 PM

4,103 posts, read 3,772,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
Perhaps we should start thinking in terms of dealignments and realignments.

What if the UK should follow the USA out of a moribund NATO? One suggested trade partner is Russia. Imagine abandoning conflict with Russia, and building trade ties with that country.
Russia is a smaller economy than Italy and already does substantial investment in the UK. It's not worth the political capital to consider doing a trade partnership with that country.

The UK should invest heavily in ASEAN, African and Latin American countries and strengthen trade ties with the commonwealth. My main concern is the finance industry but we'll have to wait and see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 12:54 PM

2,639 posts, read 2,008,353 times
Came across an online article regarding liquified natural gas (LNG). It seems that earlier this year, Peru began to ship LNG through the expanded Panama Canal-to Britain. Peru is one of the founding members of the Pacific Alliance, the trading group that Martin Hutchinson was so enthusiastic about.

Old 05-01-2017, 01:00 PM

1,529 posts, read 921,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
If this account of the meeting between May and Juncker last Wednesday is true, a hard Brexit seems inevitable:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...n-i-was-before

By the way, the article states that formal negotiations are scheduled to start next month, after the election.
Thanks for the Guardian link. I just spent about an hour reading the comment and discussion section. Absolutely hilarious.

Old 05-01-2017, 01:02 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,993,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
The EU are setting out their stall. Things like trying to unsettle the British electorate by leaking details of meetings between May and EU officials. That snake Juncker is already at work. The French are ready to start mouthing off. I have a feeling, that eventually, May and the Tories will decide they're wasting their time trying to negotiate a deal.
Part of the problem is that the EU have realised that they can easily stir up domestic opposition to May and then she gets all the blame. That is why she needs to be returned with a bullet proof majority. Then that tactic won't work.

In the meantime, EU officials are trying to influence the election by leaking confidential details of the recent meeting. It is unscrupulous and unethical. It would appear that we are dealing with the mafia rather than with accountable officials. The veil has slipped and one has to ask whether this is the kind of organisation the UK should be part of.

In terms of substance, all we have had from the EU are demands. They want money and they want guarantees for their citizens (not ours) but, so far, they are offering nothing in return. This 'hard Brexit' that people are worried about is not coming from Theresa May but from an EU that, so far, is an object lesson in intransigence.

We need to remember that the UK also has negotiating positions. They have a strong trade surplus with us, they want access to our fishing grounds, they want us to continue making financial contributions, they want guarantees for their citizens, they want access to our intelligence, security and defence capabilities, etc. etc.. Maybe it is time for the UK to start playing the intransigence card.

What we need to do is to elect a government and then support it. Unfortunately, too many people seem to see some kind of virtue in doing the EU's dirty work for them.

Old 05-01-2017, 01:09 PM

1,529 posts, read 921,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Unfortunately, too many people seem to see some kind of virtue in doing the EU's dirty work for them.
Right on.

Old 05-01-2017, 01:24 PM

2,639 posts, read 2,008,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post

In terms of substance, all we have had from the EU are demands. They want money and they want guarantees for their citizens (not ours) but, so far, they are offering nothing in return. This 'hard Brexit' that people are worried about is not coming from Theresa May but from an EU that, so far, is an object lesson in intransigence.

So, in effect, the EU is preventing the option of a Soft Brexit.

Meanwhile, the UK could strengthen its position by pursuing trade talks with interested outside parties.

I wonder how EU officials would react to a UK that prospers outside of the Single Market.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:30 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,953,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Yes, I agree. Corbyn is seen by many as totally unsuitable for the job of PM. I also agree on the Tories, and homelessness. I used to spend a lot of time in London many years ago. I noticed after the Tories won with Thatcher in 1979, a large increase in homeless people on the streets of London. It improves whenever Labour is in power, and deteriorates when the Tories get back in.

I despised Thatcher, but I sure wish we had her to deal with the EU at this time. Theresa May leaves me with doubts about her ability to do this. I hope I am wrong.
The thing is, Labour improve things in the short term with generous spending, but when the money runs out they are voted out of office and a Conservative government has to come in and clean up the mess. They have to make difficult decisions, it makes them unpopular, Labour are voted back in, rinse and repeat.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:

Meanwhile, the UK could strengthen its position by pursuing trade talks with interested outside parties.

I wonder how EU officials would react to a UK that prospers outside of the Single Market.
I don't think a prospering EU would necessarily be against the EU' interests. It needs to reform, without a doubt, but the idea of no borders between European nations is the main selling point for continental nations. As an island nation, the UK inevitably benefited less from this arrangement, and was more likely to reject the concept.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:34 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,310,321 times
Quote:

I'm surprised that we haven't started yet. I mean I know as part of the EU we can't officially pursue Extra-EU trade treaties. However we're leaving the EU, what's Brussels going to do kick us out? Make negotiation more difficult? Threaten those we're negotiating with? None of those actions will achieve the EU'S goals. I think people need to kind of realize that the old rules don't really apply, like when you switch jobs or decide to get divorced, sometimes it takes time to percolate that what once was is no longer, so go play by your own rules.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Russia is a smaller economy than Italy and already does substantial investment in the UK. It's not worth the political capital to consider doing a trade partnership with that country.

The UK should invest heavily in ASEAN, African and Latin American countries and strengthen trade ties with the commonwealth. My main concern is the finance industry but we'll have to wait and see.
The government's commitment to foreign aid spending is clearly a way of gaining diplomatic capital with those nations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom