Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2017, 09:39 AM

703 posts, read 446,771 times

Advertisements

I fear we will vote TM in on the strength of little more than speculation about her ability to deliver. After all we know nothing as yet!!!!
She doesn't perform well 'on the hoof' and has a transparent tendency to avoid answering questions. Rather in the manner of David Cameron. I started to watch her on Marr this week but turned her off because the predictability of everything she says is unbearable. The Lynton Crosby slogans are so tacky and IMO are an insult to the intelligence of the electorate. However, they seem to lap it up.
Remember, this is the party that opposed the NHS (which they currently demonstrate) and the minimum wage, and has no problem with zero hours contracts, or homelessness, or the housing crisis etc, etc
I get the impression people think there are more reasons not to vote for JC than there are reasons to vote for TM.
We shall see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 09:42 AM

7,682 posts, read 5,541,155 times
If this account of the meeting between May and Juncker last Wednesday is true, a hard Brexit seems inevitable:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...n-i-was-before

By the way, the article states that formal negotiations are scheduled to start next month, after the election.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:12 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,439,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff956 View Post
I fear we will vote TM in on the strength of little more than speculation about her ability to deliver. After all we know nothing as yet!!!!
She doesn't perform well 'on the hoof' and has a transparent tendency to avoid answering questions. Rather in the manner of David Cameron. I started to watch her on Marr this week but turned her off because the predictability of everything she says is unbearable. The Lynton Crosby slogans are so tacky and IMO are an insult to the intelligence of the electorate. However, they seem to lap it up.
Remember, this is the party that opposed the NHS (which they currently demonstrate) and the minimum wage, and has no problem with zero hours contracts, or homelessness, or the housing crisis etc, etc
I get the impression people think there are more reasons not to vote for JC than there are reasons to vote for TM.
We shall see.
Yes, I agree. Corbyn is seen by many as totally unsuitable for the job of PM. I also agree on the Tories, and homelessness. I used to spend a lot of time in London many years ago. I noticed after the Tories won with Thatcher in 1979, a large increase in homeless people on the streets of London. It improves whenever Labour is in power, and deteriorates when the Tories get back in.

I despised Thatcher, but I sure wish we had her to deal with the EU at this time. Theresa May leaves me with doubts about her ability to do this. I hope I am wrong.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:47 AM

26,660 posts, read 28,733,368 times
(If I may intrude for a minute...then let's hope I shut up, lol) Much as I disliked the Iron Lady, she would be the right one in this case. Theresa May seems to be in over her head. And I agree, you will be suffering for a long time, not just ten years or so. By the way it's sounding lately, much longer. They've turned into a vengeful lot.

From this floundering land (USA), one bit of advice--Fight for important things like the NHS. You've heard what she's saying...we're even hearing it over here: More cuts to the NHS, higher taxes to pay for it, and now we are hearing about retirement savings accounts??? People voluntarily have part of their salary taken out for retirement? They're trying to pull that stunt over here instead of health insurance. Works fine for higher income people, nothing for low income folks. Don't you already pay into the UK pension fund for retirement? I think it could be a slippery slope. Means they'll be taking more away and it's every man for himself. They throw you a bone like no more tv licence fee.

She's also taking away the guaranteed pension increases by 2020--okay, not a huge deal and it will save some money. Pensions will still increase but probably not much.

Another thing. President Ronald Reagan tried "trickle down" economics in which he funded The Rich, arguing that they will use the money to create jobs. Wrong. The Rich got richer, that's all. They still screwed the ordinary people.

It's all so complicated that it boggles the mind. And I am getting very angry at the way Merkel and the rest of them are treating you and intimidating you. Such scorn! I don't think it's the same EU that you joined in the first place and you have every right to leave. I don't think you promised 'til death do us part.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

Another thing. President Ronald Reagan tried "trickle down" economics in which he funded The Rich, arguing that they will use the money to create jobs. Wrong. The Rich got richer, that's all. They still screwed the ordinary people.

It's all so complicated that it boggles the mind. And I am getting very angry at the way Merkel and the rest of them are treating you and intimidating you. Such scorn! I don't think it's the same EU that you joined in the first place and you have every right to leave. I don't think you promised 'til death do us part.
Thatcher gave us the same 'trickle down' economics. Same speech as Reagan, and same result. But, she would have taken on the EU after the leave vote, and wouldn't have put up with any nonsense.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:38 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,734,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff956 View Post
We shall see.
I think most of us have the same fear somewhat. I know what you mean, May is no orator by any means but I don't know, there's something about keeping your cards close to your chest I like.

I once had a director of the company I worked for who was really transparent and almost needy in a way, wanting to involve everyone - it was just really chaotic. Then we had a director who just smiled and gave really short concise statements but things just seemed to work really well. We were only told what we needed to know and it was the best couple of years in the company's history both motivationally and in turnover. Then at the end of each financial year she surprised us with figures and strategies she implemented to turn the company around, it was educational and an eye opener plus she gave us all a bonus which spurred us on to break turnover targets the following year.

Everything I've seen of May so far makes me feel she's quite astute and not the emotional mess that are Sturgeon and Corbyn. Yes, I do yawn at the predictability of her answers but my guess is she's measuring risk because we're in uncharted territory and very little really can be ruled out. Corbyn on the other hand says he will build a million homes but doesn't tell us how. He says he will increase funding for the NHS, schools, police but doesn't tell us how. He wants to tax the rich when the wealth creators are already thinking of upping sticks, he wants to get rid of our nuclear and military capacity - look at what happened to Ukraine when it relinquished its nuclear weapons! I see more chaos in the SNP, Labour and Lib Dems than I do with her, yet they insist its the other way around. As someone that's voted Lib Dem all my life I just don't see it, all opposition parties need a desperate shakeup and the only way to achieve that is to give them a right pummeling.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:54 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,997,959 times
If EU officials are determined to make an example of Britain, then May is likely doing the best that can be expected.

That is, in dealing with the EU. I think that one of her strengths will be diplomacy overseas-building a trade network beyond the Single Market.

I expect a difficult time for the British economy, with an eventual prosperity after new trade ties come online.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:01 PM

The EU are setting out their stall. Things like trying to unsettle the British electorate by leaking details of meetings between May and EU officials. That snake Juncker is already at work. The French are ready to start mouthing off. I have a feeling, that eventually, May and the Tories will decide they're wasting their time trying to negotiate a deal.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:35 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,997,959 times
Perhaps we should start thinking in terms of dealignments and realignments.

What if the UK should follow the USA out of a moribund NATO? One suggested trade partner is Russia. Imagine abandoning conflict with Russia, and building trade ties with that country.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:37 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,734,987 times
Well a cliff edge is in no-one's interest. At the end of the day common sense will prevail and I agree with certain voices that the dinosaurs in the commission aren't exactly on the same page as the ministers of each country. Each camp will give and take a little and there may be a couple of stale mates in the negotiations along the way and even a derailment but in the end common sense will prevail. Maybe there's a 20% or so chance that no deal will be reached, I do think the best we can hope for though is some type of transitional deal while another year or so is taken out to iron out the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom