Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2017, 12:30 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,631,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
The Labour party have promised free college education. That should get the young voters off their beds, and down to a polling booth. That's if they bothered to register to vote.

The Tories will win by a landslide. Once voters gaze down at that voting paper, they will vote for the status quo.

Theresa May will now concentrate on showing herself as a strong leader to lead us from the EU, and save us from terrorists. She was Home Secretary when hundreds of thousands of immigrants were coming to my country every year. She and her predecessors have allowed this invasion. Now she will present herself as the one to save us.

I have noted that when coming under pressure in interviews, she shows weakness. This is obvious when watching her on television. She is no Margaret Thatcher, and that is for sure. We need a real leader, and there is no sign of one anywhere.
I don't think that argument really works anymore. I mean, you can argue that Labour's plans are unrealistic or idealistic, but they are at least proposing something that is positive and different. The Tories' entire campaign has been built on 'vote for me because of Jeremy Corybn'. That might work to a certain extent, but in the absence of anything else it's not really good enough. It's like the EU remain campaign - vote Remain because Leave is worse. That was basically it.

The Tories' campaign has undeniably been shambolic. They will still win, but definitely don't deserve to. Against anyone half-decent, May and her robotic personality wouldn't stand a chance. She is not a natural leader imo, and clearly doesn't enjoy interacting with people outside of very scripted appearances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 12:57 PM

296 posts, read 260,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I don't think that argument really works anymore. I mean, you can argue that Labour's plans are unrealistic or idealistic, but they are at least proposing something that is positive and different. The Tories' entire campaign has been built on 'vote for me because of Jeremy Corybn'. That might work to a certain extent, but in the absence of anything else it's not really good enough. It's like the EU remain campaign - vote Remain because Leave is worse. That was basically it.

The Tories' campaign has undeniably been shambolic. They will still win, but definitely don't deserve to. Against anyone half-decent, May and her robotic personality wouldn't stand a chance. She is not a natural leader imo, and clearly doesn't enjoy interacting with people outside of very scripted appearances.
Very true! She ( May ) is terrible, a real numbskull of a politician. She really is clueless as to why she has the support/popularity she does
She's just a soudbite bot. As for the disgusting tory manifesto.... well This was a real chance missed, she could have produced a really courageous manifesto, addressing immigration, jobs, tax evasion, housing rights etc etc.
What do we get? More immigration, more tax protection for multi national companies, more job cuts, more pay cuts, stealing from pensioners, etc etc...smh

Old 05-26-2017, 01:54 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,521,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kas982 View Post
Very true! She ( May ) is terrible, a real numbskull of a politician. She really is clueless as to why she has the support/popularity she does
She's just a soudbite bot. As for the disgusting tory manifesto.... well This was a real chance missed, she could have produced a really courageous manifesto, addressing immigration, jobs, tax evasion, housing rights etc etc.
What do we get? More immigration, more tax protection for multi national companies, more job cuts, more pay cuts, stealing from pensioners, etc etc...smh
I can absolutely guarantee 100% that when I make my next visit to Blighty and visit my old local that if I asked anyone in there what a bot was they wouldn't have a clue.
Of course keyboard warriors who spend their day scoring imaginary victories against other anonymous people on the internet think this is the real world.
It's not.
In the real world most people go to a job where they don't access the internet all day,they may have a miserable journey to and from work to contend with,kids to get off to school and pick up,dinners to cook,mortgages and bills to worry about,a boss who is giving them a hard time,an elderly relative to worry about,a thousand and one things to consider every day and maybe,if they're lucky,a few moments at the end of the day when they're sat exhausted in front of the TV,in which to log on to forums like this.
These are the people who will vote in the election and I think those who haven't already made up their minds will do so the moment they walk into the polling booth and be confronted by the decision of who do they think will best provide safety and security for them and their families.
It's why I think Theresa May will emerge with a 100 seat majority.
Corbyn doesn't even command the support of a majority of parliamentary Labour MPs - the people elected by traditional Labour supporters up and down the land.
What we're seeing now is exactly what we saw in the last general election and Brexit vote - a Londoncentric media talking to each other about what London-based polling companies are reporting from polls of people who are not representative of the electorate.
You don't believe me ? Well answer this question - when was the last time you or anybody you know was polled by one of these companies ?Probably never.
Most of these polls talk to around 1000-1500 people.On the telephone.And that's meant to be representative of the entire country ?
Trust me on one thing - the polling companies have come a cropper in the last two major polls,the election and the Brexit vote.
They'll mess up this one too.
This morning's YouGov poll had the Tory lead down the 5 points.On the eve of the last general election in their final opinion poll YouGov had both parties neck and neck.In the event the Tories won by a clear seven points.
Take these muppets with a pinch of salt.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
I can absolutely guarantee 100% that when I make my next visit to Blighty and visit my old local that if I asked anyone in there what a bot was they wouldn't have a clue.
Of course keyboard warriors who spend their day scoring imaginary victories against other anonymous people on the internet think this is the real world.
It's not.
In the real world most people go to a job where they don't access the internet all day,they may have a miserable journey to and from work to contend with,kids to get off to school and pick up,dinners to cook,mortgages and bills to worry about,a boss who is giving them a hard time,an elderly relative to worry about,a thousand and one things to consider every day and maybe,if they're lucky,a few moments at the end of the day when they're sat exhausted in front of the TV,in which to log on to forums like this.
These are the people who will vote in the election and I think those who haven't already made up their minds will do so the moment they walk into the polling booth and be confronted by the decision of who do they think will best provide safety and security for them and their families.
Corbyn doesn't even command the support of a majority of parliamentary Labour MPs - the people elected by traditional Labour supporters up and down the land.
What we're seeing now is exactly what we saw in the last general election and Brexit vote - a Londoncentric media talking to each other about what London-based polling companies are reporting from polls of people who are not representative of the electorate.
You don't believe me ? Well answer this question - when was the last time you or anybody you know was polled by one of these companies ?Probably never.
Most of these polls talk to around 1000-1500 people.On the telephone.And that's meant to be representative of the entire country ?
Trust me on one thing - the polling companies have come a cropper in the last two major polls,the election and the Brexit vote.
They'll mess up this one too.
This morning's YouGov poll had the Tory lead down the 5 points.On the eve of the last general election in their final opinion poll YouGov had both parties neck and neck.In the event the Tories won by a clear seven points.
Take these muppets with a pinch of salt.
Polling companies also took measures to address the 'shy Tory' effect by changing their methodology. It's perfectly possible that the same errors are still being made, but at the same time, they might be accurate.

It's also worth bearing in mind that polls for the EU referendum were within the margin of error.

Otherwise, your post is mostly incoherent rambling.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:00 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,521,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Polling companies also took measures to address the 'shy Tory' effect by changing their methodology. It's perfectly possible that the same errors are still being made, but at the same time, they might be accurate.

It's also worth bearing in mind that polls for the EU referendum were within the margin of error.

Otherwise, your post is mostly incoherent rambling.
Obviously this part of my post " keyboard warriors who spend their day scoring imaginary victories against other anonymous people on the internet " hit a nerve.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:29 PM

No.. I don't think I read that part. That's interesting though.

Old 05-27-2017, 01:48 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,710,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kas982 View Post
Teresa may is a numb skull? That must make Corbyn a total cretin then. If you want to know what would happen to the UK economy if Labour were to win the election and implement their manifesto, then look no further than Scotland.

Free university tuition, free prescriptions for everyone and free care for the old etc etc, which as a result has left Scotland with a £15 billion budget deficit, which is the worst in Europe, worse even than Greece.

For myself as a now ex- Labour supporter I hope the Tories win big time, because I don't want to see my country run by Marxists and the unions. There are some on this thread who are old enough to remember the state this country was in before Thatcher took over.

Anyone remember the constant power cuts, mountains of garbage stacked in the streets, strike after strike after strike and Corbyn and his communist brethren supported all of them. Corbyn calls for loyalty from his MP's but when he was on the back bench he voted against his own party over 550 times, he even voted against the good Friday agreement.

Old 05-27-2017, 01:55 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,445,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
Teresa may is a numb skull? That must make Corbyn a total cretin then. If you want to know what would happen to the UK economy if Labour were to win the election and implement their manifesto, then look no further than Scotland.

Free university tuition, free prescriptions for everyone and free care for the old etc etc, which as a result has left Scotland with a £15 billion budget deficit, which is the worst in Europe, worse even than Greece.

For myself as a now ex- Labour supporter I hope the Tories win big time, because I don't want to see my country run by Marxists and the unions. There are some on this thread who are old enough to remember the state this country was in before Thatcher took over.

Anyone remember the constant power cuts, mountains of garbage stacked in the streets, strike after strike after strike and Corbyn and his communist brethren supported all of them. Corbyn calls for loyalty from his MP's but when he was on the back bench he voted against his own party over 550 times, he even voted against the good Friday agreement.
Yep, I remember those days. Thatcher was the result of all that, as Trump is today in America. My voting paper is sat on a chair arm waiting for me to fill it in, and send it off. I always vote, and am struggling to put my X in the box. I know I can't vote for Corbyn although I am a Labour supporter going back to Harold Wilson. I can't vote for the Liberals or UKIP........ not since Nigel left. They are a ship without a rudder. I know it has to be the Tories, but I'm finding it hard to do it.

Old 05-27-2017, 05:11 AM

703 posts, read 447,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post

Yes I remember Thatcher, and all the hospital patients lined up in corridors whilst she bleated about the money they were already giving to the NHS, (rather like now) and the deregulation she championed which led in subsequent years to unrestricted mortgage and personal borrowing which resulted in the explosion of house prices to a level completely disproportionate to earnings. This destroyed (and I don't use that word lightly) our property market and resulted in the unsustainable level of personal debt we have now.
But never mind, let's just keep borrowing and spending (I see nothing in the pipeline to curb it - quite the reverse), the government can keep calling it 'growth' and the debt mountain will continue to rise. At the same time they preach that as a country we 'must live within our means'. How hypocritical is that?
I get tired of saying this but the Tories predictably look at things from a top down perspective. Look after business, e.g. low corporation tax, which will encourage investment, which in turn creates jobs which will filter down into higher wages. Really?
The reality is that to compete with others they reduce costs and therefore wages, or if they can get away with it make their 'employees' self employed. The minimum wage has rectified this to some degree and even that was fiercely opposed by the Tories. They are fundamentally on the side of the employer and every employee should remember that.
Trouble is, many working people now regard themselves as 'middle class' and have adopted the Tory mindset. They will find out over the next five years (if Theresa May wins) just how much she speaks for them and the social issues that we all care about.
Oh, and Brexit - we'll get a Tory flavoured one. That'll be nice !!!

Old 05-27-2017, 06:53 AM

296 posts, read 260,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Ha ha ha Yeah right. Please please please, put all of your money on it, i beg of you Then you might learn why you "homer simson" types really shouldn't comment on things you know nothing about
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom