Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2017, 09:45 PM

1,529 posts, read 917,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Part of the problem is that the people negotiating on behalf of the EU are EU functionaries. They don't particularly care if one EU economy or another is damaged because it doesn't really impact them. It is to be hoped that some of the larger member states get involved in order to restore a little bit of sanity to the proceedings before too much damage is inflicted.
You may want to explain who these "EU functionaries" are. According to you they don't care if one or another EU economy is damaged. Are they Chinese, Russians or Americans hired by the EU to negotiate on its behalf ??? No, they obviously are all members and citizens of EU countries and it is in their interest to negotiate the best deal for the EU.

Perhaps you are not very familiar with the organizational structure of the EU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 03:06 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,069,506 times
What a bad day, today, for Labour and UKIP, in the Local Elections. Both lost many seats, with Labour losing over 100 seats in Wales - even in my area of South East Wales (a previous Labour strong-hold).

It just goes to show what people think of Corbyn's 'leadership' of the Labour party. Now awaiting a massive Tory landslide, for the UK, in a month's time...

Last edited by Star10101; 05-05-2017 at 03:15 PM..

Old 05-05-2017, 03:11 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,439,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
What a bad day, today, for Labour and UKIP, in the Local Elections. Both lost many seats, with Labour losing over 100 seats, in my area of South East Wales (a previous Labour strong-hold).

It just goes to show what people think of Corbyn's 'leadership' of the Labour party. Now awaiting a massive Tory landslide, for the UK, in a month's time...
Labour are lambs waiting for the slaughter Star. Just so sad. Corbyn is delusional, and is leading the party to disaster.

Old 05-05-2017, 03:23 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,069,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Labour are lambs waiting for the slaughter Star. Just so sad. Corbyn is delusional, and is leading the party to disaster.
(^ Actually, I got it wrong - I said above, that Labour lost over 100 seats in South East Wales. They lost over 100 seats in the whole of Wales. I've changed it now).

Yes, I know, Dave. He should in fact resign, but probably won't, especially with the short time scale of the General Election coming up now. The Tories are laughing all the way to 10 Downing Street...

Old 05-06-2017, 01:37 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,708,745 times
With the momentum group and the trade unions backing him Corbyn could be difficult to oust. When he was elected as leader of the Labour party people who knew him said that he would be a disaster for the party, and that the Tories would be jumping up and down with glee, and they were spot on.

UKIP have been wiped out and the Liberals have made little impact in the local elections. So it's just a matter of what the size of the Tory majority will be after the election.

Listening to Diane Abbott making an idiot of herself on the radio this week just exposed the sheer incompetence of a leading member of Corbyn's shadow cabinet. Can anyone imagine Corbyn and his band of idiots negotiating Brexit? It's too horrible to contemplate.

Old 05-06-2017, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
With the momentum group and the trade unions backing him Corbyn could be difficult to oust. When he was elected as leader of the Labour party people who knew him said that he would be a disaster for the party, and that the Tories would be jumping up and down with glee, and they were spot on.

UKIP have been wiped out and the Liberals have made little impact in the local elections. So it's just a matter of what the size of the Tory majority will be after the election.

Listening to Diane Abbott making an idiot of herself on the radio this week just exposed the sheer incompetence of a leading member of Corbyn's shadow cabinet. Can anyone imagine Corbyn and his band of idiots negotiating Brexit? It's too horrible to contemplate.
Diane Abbott has made a career of foolish statements. As a lifelong Labour supporter, I am sad to see the mess the party is in. After this upcoming election, Labour will be shattered. My real worry is Corbyn, even then, will refuse to resign as leader. It seems hard to contemplate, but it is very possible.

With the current rules, he may well be delusional enough to try to carry on. I am hopeful the defeat will be so enormous, even he will feel he needs to go. I sure hope so. The party will then have to slowly rebuild. Getting those lost Labour voters back in the fold, may prove difficult.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:42 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,518,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Diane Abbott has made a career of foolish statements. As a lifelong Labour supporter, I am sad to see the mess the party is in. After this upcoming election, Labour will be shattered. My real worry is Corbyn, even then, will refuse to resign as leader. It seems hard to contemplate, but it is very possible.

With the current rules, he may well be delusional enough to try to carry on. I am hopeful the defeat will be so enormous, even he will feel he needs to go. I sure hope so. The party will then have to slowly rebuild. Getting those lost Labour voters back in the fold, may prove difficult.
The only person who'll decide on Corbyn's future is trade union Unite leader Len McCluskey,the Militant-supporting former Liverpool docker.
He was re-elected as leader last month by a narrow margin after a turnout by union members of just 12%.
That's the terrible predicament Labour is in - a leader unpopular among his own MPs and millions of traditional Labour supporters is propped up in power by a union baron elected by just a tiny percentage of his members.
And without McCluskey's support and financial clout no other leader can be elected.
THAT is why Labour will be consigned to decades in opposition and obscurity.
Thank goodness.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
The only person who'll decide on Corbyn's future is trade union Unite leader Len McCluskey,the Militant-supporting former Liverpool docker.
He was re-elected as leader last month by a narrow margin after a turnout by union members of just 12%.
That's the terrible predicament Labour is in - a leader unpopular among his own MPs and millions of traditional Labour supporters is propped up in power by a union baron elected by just a tiny percentage of his members.
And without McCluskey's support and financial clout no other leader can be elected.
THAT is why Labour will be consigned to decades in opposition and obscurity.
Thank goodness.
I think you are correct. The Tories will have a field day, and rule as they please for many years to come.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:01 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,930,739 times
If Labour was an animal, it would have been put down by now.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:11 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,708,745 times
Labour MP for Rochdale has just resigned from the Labour party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom