Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2023, 08:39 AM

5,404 posts, read 3,595,350 times

Advertisements

who cares? " call me anything you like but dont call me late for tea".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2023, 09:48 AM

2,390 posts, read 1,560,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
who cares? " call me anything you like but dont call me late for tea".
janner thats what you be

Old 07-27-2023, 02:55 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
The 1963 movie, "America America", by Elia Kazan is not about people expressing longing to go to Brazil, Mexico, or Canada.

Everyone knew what "America" meant.

Old 07-27-2023, 04:02 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyandPearl View Post
Yes, our official designation is The United States of America, but the continents are all the Americas.

North America, Central America, South America
Whenever I talk to Brits they always refer to the US as America.

Our country isn't really "America", there are many other countries that make up the American continent.

All of them could include "America" in their country names.

The United States aren't "America", we're the many different states on the continent as well as Alaska and Hawaii in the Pacific.

And our country name is The United States of America. Not America.
I am American (US), and I sometimes call it America or Murica, or Merka. I try not too because it is a long name.

Old 07-27-2023, 10:30 PM

2,956 posts, read 1,637,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I am American (US), and I sometimes call it America or Murica, or Merka. I try not too because it is a long name.
Exactly.

Old 07-28-2023, 06:31 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
The majority of people in the USA say America to refer to the USA too, plus a big portion of people all over the world. It's not a big deal. The USA is the only country in the Americas (north, central and south) that has "America" as part of its official name, so it is not entirely inaccurate.
But we are the only country in the Americas that refer to ourselves as “Americans”.
All the rest call themselves Mexicans, Brazilians, Chileans, Canadians, Puerto Ricans, Hondurans, etc…
I have never heard a Mexican refer to themselves as “American”.

Old 07-28-2023, 07:48 AM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
But we are the only country in the Americas that refer to ourselves as “Americans”.
All the rest call themselves Mexicans, Brazilians, Chileans, Canadians, Puerto Ricans, Hondurans, etc…

There has been no alternative to "American" for people from the USA.

Old 07-28-2023, 08:08 AM

2,390 posts, read 1,560,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
There has been no alternative to "American" for people from the USA.
never heard it said but I often read the term USians online, which I always thought was just a lazy way of typing Americans.

Old 07-28-2023, 08:13 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Not only that, but if you were to refer to e.g. a Canadian as an American, they would be indignant and say they are not. Everyone understands that an "American" is a person from the USA.

There comes a point when the etymology of a word is only a curiosity. This all reminds me of the bogus "rule" that prepositions cannot come at the end of a sentence, causing some people to say or write unnatural things like "This is the friend with whom I golf" instead of "This is the friend I golf with."

And why do they do that? Because the word "preposition" comes from Latin and literally means "standing before," so grammar sticklers say a preposition has to stand before something, it can't come at the end. Right? Well, no, because we're not speaking Latin and the original meaning of the word is not relevant to English.

Same thing with "American." One can get all hot and bothered that the names of two continents include the word "America" and therefore all citizens of those lands are entitled to be called Americans, but the only thing that matters is usage. "American" means of or from the USA, no matter where the word came from nor whether people like it or not.

Old 07-28-2023, 08:24 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
i think nowadays I hear The States more than America.
That's what Canadians always said to me after hearing me speak. "Are you from The States?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom